• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out of death awakenings

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I do not think Roy L. Hill should practice or teach. He has become a preacher.
John Burke is an engineer who has written a book regarding numerous NDE's. Not all experiences are the same, but worthy of contemplation.
Many people have written about NDE. It is a sure seller.
There are realms of experience in the human drama existing beyond the "norm".
Human norm is varied and extensive.

Last edited:

FineLinen

Roy L. Hill obtained his bachelor’s degree in psychology at the University of Arizona and his doctorate degree in clinical psychology at Nova Southeastern University.

He has worked as a psychologist in corrections, both as a clinician and supervisor, for over 19 years. Following several life changing experiences, Roy delved into the topic of NDE's.

"I have worked as a clinical psychologist for twenty years in several prisons. One day, about twelve years ago, I learned that an inmate’s sister had died as a result of an automobile accident."

I placed him on suicide watch after he endorsed voices telling him to kill himself. On the second day, the inmate stated that his depression and suicidal ideation had disappeared. The inmate stated that his deceased sister was freely talking to him.
Specifically, the sister informed him that she now existed in a better place and that he should not be grieving for her on suicide watch but living with purpose. Normally, I would be cautious. However, I also knew that auditory hallucinations, especially from depressed patients, are cryptic and negative. I had yet to meet any psychotic person who experienced comforting or helpful voices. I made the call to take the inmate off suicide watch on the condition that I would see him early the next morning.

The next morning, I asked the inmate if his deceased sister was still talking to him. He answered, “Yes. She is telling me that you do not believe me. And so that you shall believe, she has a message for you.”

With some trepidation, I gingerly asked, “What is her message?”

He answered, “Quarter, the coin.”

The inmate left. About fifteen minutes later another inmate came to see me on a scheduled appointment. Ranting about the hypocrisy of the United States government, he offered this challenge,

“Do you know what is written on a quarter?!”

I immediately answered without thinking, “In God We Trust”.

The inmate pointed a finger at me and said with authority, “That’s right!”

I immediately felt blood rush down from my head. The temporal occurrence of the “quarter” revelation could not be a coincidence – no one had asked me that question before.

The next day I talked to the first inmate and asked him whether his sister revealed more information. He said, “Yes. She said that your wife is pregnant, you will have a son, and he will be born on Christmas day.” Indeed, the first points I knew were true. But would my son be born on Christmas day? Christmas day came and went without a birth; my son was born on January 7th. For the next eleven years I was troubled at this inconsistency. Then it came to me that my faith was being tested. So, on a leap of faith, I decided to have enough faith to Google Christmas and January 7th.

Amazingly, a number of “hits” came up on the search engine. It turns out that much of Christendom today uses the old Roman Julian calendar. That wasn’t always so.

There was a time when Christendom used the Gregorian calendar, otherwise known as the Christian calendar. In fact, over a half billion Orthodox members still celebrate Christmas on January 7th to this very day.

FineLinen

Lou Famoso Life after death (LAD)

Lou is a Vietnam veteran having served two tours of duty there. Before he was to be discharged from the Navy in October of 1964, he returned to the U.S. from Vietnam and was going to attend a huge party for a friend of his. It was 1963 and he had just bought a brand new model of the up and coming 1964 Mustang. He was running late for the party so he was doing 100+ mph on an open stretch of road. With his radio blasting, he had nothing but a good night of partying on his mind. Suddenly, the front end of his car went nose down and dug into the asphalt. In less then a second, his Mustang flipped head-over-heals. So as not to slip into unconsciousness, he managed to count everyone of those flips, thinking the last flip would be the last one he'd have to count. It took nine flips to finally cause his car to lose all the momentum necessary to bring it to a screeching halt. He managed to crawl out of what was left of the back window of his car and fell to the ground. What followed was an NDE so transcendental, Lou prefers to call it a "Life After Death" (LAD) experience.

Indeed, according to his doctor, it was a miracle that Lou survived. His encounter with the Being of Light and the archangels Michael and Gabriel, and his visions of the future concerning the constellation of Orion makes his experience one of the most exceptional NDE's to read.

Home

Last edited:

FineLinen

Beverly Brodsky

Somehow an unexpected peace descended upon me. I found myself floating on the ceiling over the bed looking down at my unconscious body. I barely had time to realize the glorious strangeness of the situation - that I was me but not in my body - when I was joined by a radiant being bathed in a shimmering white glow. Like myself, this being flew but had no wings. I felt a reverent awe when I turned to him; this was no ordinary angel or spirit, but he had been sent to deliver me. Such love and gentleness emanated from his being that I felt that I was in the presence of the Messiah.
Whoever he was, his presence deepened my serenity and awakened a feeling of joy as I recognized my companion. Gently he took my hand and we flew right through the window. I felt no surprise at my ability to do this. In this wondrous presence, everything was as it should be.
Beneath us lay the beautiful Pacific Ocean ... But my attention was now directed upward, where there was a large opening leading to a circular path. Although it seemed to be deep and far to the end, a white light shone through and poured out into the gloom to the other side where the opening beckoned. It was the most brilliant light I had ever seen, although I didn't realize how much of its glory was veiled from the outside. The path was angled upward, obliquely, to the right. Now still hand in hand with the angel, I was led into the opening of the small, dark passageway.

I then remember traveling a long distance upward toward the light. I believe that I was moving very fast, but this entire realm seemed to be outside of time.

Finally, I reached my destination. It was only when I emerged from the other end that I realized that I was no longer accompanied by the being who had brought me there. But I wasn't alone. There, before me, was the living presence of the light. Within it I sensed an all-pervading intelligence, wisdom, compassion, love, and truth. There was neither form nor sex to this perfect being. It, which I shall in the future call he, in keeping without our commonly accepted syntax, contained everything, as white light contains all the colors of a rainbow when penetrating a prism. And deep within me came an instant and wondrous recognition: I, even I, was facing God.

I immediately lashed out at him with all the questions I had ever wondered about; all the injustices I had seen in the physical world. I don't know if I did this deliberately, but I discovered that God knows all your thoughts immediately and responds telepathically. My mind was naked; in fact, I became pure mind. The ethereal body which I had traveled in through the tunnel seemed to be no more; it was just my personal intelligence confronting that Universal Mind, which clothed itself in a glorious, living light that was more felt that seen, since no eye could absorb its splendor.

I don't recall the exact content of our discussion; in the process of return, the insights that came so clearly and fully in Heaven were not brought back with me to Earth. I'm sure that I asked the question that had been plaguing me since childhood about the sufferings of my people. I do remember this: There was a reason for everything that happened, no matter how awful it appeared in the physical realm. And within myself, as I was given the answer, my own awakening mind now responded in the same manner:
"Of course," I would think, "I already know that. How could I ever have forgotten!"
Indeed, it appears that all that happens is for a purpose, and that purpose is already known to our eternal self.

In time the questions ceased, because I suddenly was filled with all the Being's wisdom. I was given more than just the answers to my questions; all knowledge unfolded to me, like the instant blossoming of an infinite number of flowers all at once. I was filled with God's knowledge, and in that precious aspect of his Beingness, I was one with him. But my journey of discovery was just beginning.
Now I was treated to an extraordinary voyage through the universe. Instantly we traveled to the center of stars being born, supernovas exploding, and many other glorious celestial events for which I have no name.

The impression I have now of this trip is that it felt like the universe is all one grand object woven from the same fabric.

Space and time are illusions that hold us to our physical realm; out there all is present simultaneously. I was a passenger on a divine spaceship in which the Creator showed me the fullness and beauty of all of his Creation.

The last thing that I saw before all external vision ended was a glorious fire - the core and center of a marvelous star. Perhaps this was a symbol for the blessing that was now to come to me. Everything faded except for a richly full void in which That and I encompassed All that is.

Here, I experienced, in ineffable magnificence, communion with the light being.

Now I was filled with not just all knowledge, but also with all love. It was as if the light were poured in and through me. I was God's object of adoration; and from his/our love I drew life and joy beyond imagining. My being was transformed; my delusions, sins, and guilt were forgiven and purged without asking; and now I was love, primal being, and bliss. And, in some sense, I remain there, for Eternity. Such a union cannot be broken. It always was, is, and shall be.
Suddenly, not knowing how or why, I returned to my broken body. But miraculously, I brought back the love and the joy. I was filled with an ecstasy beyond my wildest dreams. Here, in my body, the pain had all been removed. I was still enthralled by a boundless delight. For the next two months, I remained in this state, oblivious to any pain.

I felt now as if I had been made anew. I saw wondrous meanings everywhere; everything was alive and full of energy and intelligence.

Although it's been 20 years since my heavenly voyage, I have never forgotten it. Nor have I, in the face of ridicule and disbelief, ever doubted its reality. Nothing that intense and life-changing could possibly have been a dream or hallucination. To the contrary, I consider the rest of my life to be a passing fantasy, a brief dream, that will end when I again awaken in the permanent presence of that giver of life and bliss.

"I believe that when death closes our eyes we shall awaken to a light, of which our sunlight is but the shadow." - Arthur Schopenhauer

FineLinen

Atheist Howard Storm

Now I didn't know if I was even in the world. But I did know that I was here. I was real, all my senses worked too painfully well. I didn't know how I had arrived here. There was no direction to follow even if I had been physically able to move. The agony that I had suffered during the day was nothing compared to what I was feeling now. I knew then that this was the absolute end of my existence, and it was more horrible than anything I could possibly have imagined.

Then a most unusual thing happened.

I heard very clearly, once again in my own voice, something that I had learned in nursery Sunday School. It was the little song, "Jesus loves me, yes I know ..." and it kept repeating. I don't know why, but all of a sudden I wanted to believe that. Not having anything left, I wanted to cling to that thought. And I, inside, screamed, "Jesus, please save me."

That thought was screamed with every ounce of strength and feeling left in me. When I did that, I saw, off in the darkness somewhere, the tiniest little star. Not knowing what it was, I presumed it must be a comet or a meteor, because it was moving rapidly. Then I realized it was coming toward me. It was getting very bright, rapidly. When the light came near, its radiance spilled over me, and I just rose up - not with my effort - I just lifted up.

Then I saw - and I saw this very plainly - I saw all my wounds, all my tears, all my brokenness, melt away. And I became whole in this radiance.

What I did was to cry uncontrollably. I was crying, not out of sadness, but because I was feeling things that I had never felt before in my life. Another thing happened. Suddenly I knew a whole bunch of things. I knew things ... I knew that this light, this radiance, knew me. I don't know how to explain to you that I knew it knew me, I just did. As a matter of fact, I understood that it knew me better than my mother or father did. The luminous entity that embraced me knew me intimately and began to communicate a tremendous sense of knowledge.

I knew that he knew everything about me and I was being unconditionally loved and accepted.

The light conveyed to me that it loved me in a way that I can't begin to express. It loved me in a way that I had never known that love could possibly be. He was a concentrated field of energy, radiant in splendor indescribable, except to say goodness and love. This was more loving than one can imagine. I knew that this radiant being was powerful. It was making me feel so good all over. I could feel its light on me - like very gentle hands around me. And I could feel it holding me. But it was loving me with overwhelming power. After what I had been through, to be completely known, accepted, and intensely loved by this Being of Light surpassed anything I had known or could have imagined.

FineLinen

George Rodonaia

Held an M.D. and a Ph.D. in neuropathology, and a Ph.D. in the psychology of religion.

"The first thing I remember about my NDE is that I discovered myself in a realm of total darkness. I had no physical pain, I was still somehow aware of my existence as George, and all about me there was darkness, utter and complete darkness - the greatest darkness ever, darker than any dark, blacker than any black.

This was what surrounded me and pressed upon me. I was horrified. I wasn't prepared for this at all. I was shocked to find that I still existed, but I didn't know where I was. The one thought that kept rolling through my mind was, "How can I be when I'm not?" That is what troubled me.

"Slowly I got a grip on myself and began to think about what had happened, what was going on. But nothing refreshing or relaxing came to me. Why am I in this darkness? What am I to do? Then I remembered Descartes' famous line: "I think, therefore I am." And that took a huge burden off me, for it was then I knew for certain I was still alive, although obviously in a very different dimension.

Then I thought, If I am, why shouldn't I be positive? That is what came to me. I am George and I'm in darkness, but I know I am. I am what I am. I must not be negative.
"Then I thought, How can I define what is positive in darkness? Well, positive is light.
Then, suddenly, I was in light; bright white, shiny and strong; a very bright light. I was like the flash of a camera, but not flickering - that bright. Constant brightness. At first I found the brilliance of the light painful, I couldn't look directly at it. But little by little I began to relax. I began to feel warm, comforted, and everything suddenly seemed fine.

"The next thing that happened was that I saw all these molecules flying around, atoms, protons, neutrons, just flying everywhere. On the one hand, it was totally chaotic, yet what brought me such great joy was that this chaos also had its own symmetry. This symmetry was beautiful and unified and whole, and it flooded me with tremendous joy. I saw the universal form of life and nature laid out before my eyes. It was at this point that any concern I had for my body just slipped away, because it was clear to me that I didn't need it anymore, that it was actually a limitation.

"Everything in this experience merged together, so it is difficult for me to put an exact sequence to events. Time as I had known it came to a halt; past, present, and future were somehow fused together for me in the timeless unity of life.

"At some point I underwent what has been called the life-review process, for I saw my life from beginning to end all at once.

I participated in the real life dramas of my life, almost like a holographic image of my life going on before me - no sense of past, present, or future, just now and the reality of my life. It wasn't as though it started with birth and ran along to my life at the University of Moscow. It all appeared at once.

There I was. This was my life. I didn't experience any sense of guilt or remorse for things I'd done. I didn't feel one way or another about my failures, faults, or achievements. All I felt was my life for what it is. And I was content with that. I accepted my life for what it is.

"During this time the light just radiated a sense of peace and joy to me. It was very positive. I was so happy to be in the light. And I understood what the light meant. I learned that all the physical rules for human life were nothing when compared to this unitive reality.

I also came to see that a black hole is only another part of that infinity which is light.

FineLinen

Pam Reynolds

A dangerous operation and an amazing experience Pam Reynolds was 35 when a large aneurysm required her to undergo extreme surgery in 1991. The operation was performed in the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix Arizona.

Pam’s body was cooled down so her brain cells could survive longer without oxygen. Her heart stopped and her brain totally ceased functioning. The blood was drained from her brain to allow the surgery team to perform the delicate operation to clip off the aneurysm while she was effectively dead. Then her body was warmed, her heart re-started and her life returned.

The medical procedure all went as planned in a 7 hour operation. But when she recovered, Pam reported an amazing experience.

She had had an “out-of-body” experience where she travelled down a tunnel towards light, saw some long-dead relatives and felt a warm and loving godlike presence. The experience ended suddenly when her uncle led her back to her body.

None of this out of body experience can be verified, of course. But Pam reported some events in the operating theatre that could be verified from the medical records. Her eyes were bandaged shut and she had speakers emitting a loud noise in her ears (to allow the surgeons to stimulate her brain and monitor whether there was any activity). Nevertheless, she could describe the appearance of her shaved head, the shape of the saw used to open her skull, and some pieces of conversation.

What 1000s of Near Death Experiences Can Teach Us About Dying

What Near Death Experiences Can Teach Us About Dying | Goop

FineLinen

Mary Jo Rapini

A typical workout at the gym turns tragic when psychotherapist Mary Jo Rapini suffered a brain aneurysm. After surviving a near-death experience, she recounts her triumphant path to a miraculous complete recovery.

Prior to her illness, Mary Jo counseled hospitalized cancer patients. She shares their fascinating stories about how dying brought them healing. She credits the understanding she gained from her own illness and near-death experience, along with insights acquired from working with top-notch cancer doctors, as allowing her to fully appreciate the power of spiritual healing.

FineLinen

Dr. Raymond Moody

There is a common thread surrounding many who have experienced the near death journey.

They encompass non-religious, no religion and many cultures.

FineLinen

Life Changing Moments

In every culture there is recorded what is known as a NDE experience. These experences, for the individuals involved, have a common thread.

Dr. Christopher Kerr