• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You got a slower train (there is a train which takes 9 hours), no wonder you are exhausted. A night's rest will do you good.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Dedicated to mothers all over the world:

I have no idea what is being said when the actors are talking, but I was able to get the translated lyrics so please enjoy the sweet and soothing melody: Kangal Neeye Lyrics MUK Songs Lyrics in Thanglish English Translation | Tamil Song Lyrics

My favorite part:

"Mugam vellai thaal
Athil muthaththaal
Oru venpaavai naan seithen kanne"

"Your face is a white paper
With so many kisses in that
I have created a beautiful story"

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sorry to know about that. All people in our family also are having flu these days but nothing serious, thank Shiva for that. :)

Kirran

Premium Member
Where would my new Shiva-Nataraja like to sit? :) Haven't got massive amounts of options, but there's the shelf with Lord Ganesha, or a separate table, or by the bed...

ATT_1423919882013_20150214_130638.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
To the right of Ganesha ... as you look at them, but to Ganesha's left, if you're in Ganesha's spot.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Siva should be central. and just slightly further back than Ganesha. But none of this is all that important.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I found out that the Amma and Appa who go to temple every wednesday evening are are part of the same samparadaya as me ( Vadakalai Sri Vaishnava). That makes me feel a little less isolated in my area. :)

Although it's kinda funny: they don't know I'm initiated (I don't really tell anyone in my personal life), and I wore the Vadakalai tilak* to temple, and Appa told me that the yellow vertical line is for Brahmins only and to use kumkum instead. He didn't say it in a mean or rude way, he just stated it.

Vadagalai_Tiruman.JPG

Shantanu

I found out that the Amma and Appa who go to temple every wednesday evening are are part of the same samparadaya as me ( Vadakalai Sri Vaishnava). That makes me feel a little less isolated in my area. :)

Although it's kinda funny: they don't know I'm initiated (I don't really tell anyone in my personal life), and I wore the Vadakalai tilak* to temple, and Appa told me that the yellow vertical line is for Brahmins only and to use kumkum instead. He didn't say it in a mean or rude way, he just stated it.

Vadagalai_Tiruman.JPG
I suppose any Vaishnava organisation would be centrally based on the Vedic conception of Purusha and so allocate a different tilak for Brahmins as the priests responsible for performing their sacred rituals.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram malola ji

jai jai nice to have family :)

you are prehaps only being humble in not discussung your initiation , and I would agree with not discussing it outside the temple , ...but if you are attending temple it is a different matter it is prehaps better to tell people especialy of your own sect , please tell them exactly your position this may be helpfull both to you and to them as a bramachari you need the help , guidance and encoragement of seniors .

I immagine you wear the Tilak markings as to your Gurus instruction ?
if so you must follow this as to my knowledge the red and yellow mark the different sects , ....If you are inany way unsure consult your Guru , but it is better to tell a person in the temple the reason you wear is that you belong to this tradition and that you are following your gurus instruction , if you dont tell amma and appa they will wonder why you didnt follow their advice , this may cause confusion even offence , ...but in temple I would allways discuss with well meaning people ,they will just be glad for you and supportive ..inside the temple is a very different place to the outside world :)

Vadagalai_Tiruman.JPG

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
That moment when you find out that the woman whom you have been conversing with after puja for months is the priest's wife. :confused:

I can't believe it took me this long to find that out. Then again, she looks closer to my age (mid-20's) than to his (he looks at least late 30's/early 40's).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Starry, the only way I figured out who was married to who was by seeing them arrive or leave together in cars. I actually like this aspect of the culture a lot. It makes you see people as individuals, not as half of couples, or as _______'s spouse. I think it's a much more perceptive view of people. Could well be an age difference. That is more common in Indian society than in the west. Often men wait until they're established in a profession, and financially more secure.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That moment when you find out that the woman whom you have been conversing with after puja for months is the priest's wife. :confused: I can't believe it took me this long to find that out. Then again, she looks closer to my age (mid-20's) than to his (he looks at least late 30's/early 40's).
Depends on the genes, sometimes the age shows, sometimes not. All my life people considered me younger than my younger brother.

Maya3

To the right of Ganesha ... as you look at them, but to Ganesha's left, if you're in Ganesha's spot.

Then I have it wrong on my altar :( My dancing Shiva is to the left of Ganesha on one side, but on the other side sitting Shiva is to the right of Ganesha. :(

Maya