• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Reason For Being Here On Earth

Skwim

Veteran Member
d
Hello @Skwim

The answer is simple.
We are being commanded to rule over ourselves.
Since we as humans are made from these kingdoms,
if we rule over ourselves, we rule the world.
simple.
Okay, we were put on earth to rule over ourselves, but how do you know this? All the Bible says is that we were put here to rule over all the animal life.

But if we are here to rule over ourselves, just what does this ruling consist of, and what purpose does it serve? And, how would ruling ourselves amount to ruling the world?

Last edited:

Shadow Link

Sounds like man is here to be in the image of God. But how we define and understand these things from the mindset of our ancestors is a totally different approach altogether. My reason will be different than others, but thats ok. I think the evolution of wholly thoughts are still in its earliest stages.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Are humans here to eat other animals and just to be in the top of them?
Are you asking if the purpose G-d created man for is to eat animals or something else?

why God wanted other animals to be eaten by humans? while some animals do kill and eat humans.
Are you asking "why does G-d want people to eat animals" or are you asking, "why did G-d make it that people eat animals yet animals eat people too?"

allfoak

Alchemist
d

Okay, we were put on earth to rule over ourselves, but how do you know this? All the Bible says is that we were put here to rule over all the animal life.

But if we are here to rule over ourselves, just what does this ruling consist of, and what purpose does it serve? And, how would ruling ourselves amount to ruling the world?

I believe that science has established that we evolved from the lowest form of life to what we are now, the human species.
If this is true, then the human species must retain the heritage of all of the species on the planet in our genes.

Now we must rule over ourselves or there is no hope for the rest of the species that rely on us to do so.
We are ruining the planet.
Things are going extinct faster than we can record it.
If we can't live here in harmony with the rest of nature this planet will simply get rid of us.
Or we will destroy ourselves.
Either way it is up to us the rulers to rule properly.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Are you asking if the purpose G-d created man for is to eat animals or something else?

Are you asking "why does G-d want people to eat animals" or are you asking, "why did G-d make it that people eat animals yet animals eat people too?"

You said "it means that we're meant to be on top of the food chain and can do what we want with all the other animals"

My question is " do you think this is the purpose of creating humans?"

Tumah

Veteran Member
You said "it means that we're meant to be on top of the food chain and can do what we want with all the other animals"

My question is " do you think this is the purpose of creating humans?"
No, of course not. Why would you think so?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
No, of course not. Why would you think so?

The OP is about the reason for humans being here on earth, it says to dominate over
other animals.

Do you agree or disagree that it's the reason for humans being here on earth?

Tumah

Veteran Member
The OP is about the reason for humans being here on earth, it says to dominate over other animals.
And if you followed the post that you originally responded to, you'll see that I explained that the OP didn't understand the verses correctly and it doesn't say "purpose" but "blessed".

Do you agree or disagree that it's the reason for humans being here on earth?
Didn't I just say, "No, of course not." when you asked me this in the previous post?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I wonder how many people believe or hope that there an actual reason for the existence of humanity.

It just never felt like a reasonable assumption to me, far as I can recall. Sounds like something out of a fable, and going by my earliest memories, it always did.

shmogie

If faithful intelligent life elsewhere did Not rebel then there would be No reason to settle the rebellion sin issue here on Earth because it would have already been settled elsewhere. Earth will set a precedent for all of the universe.
Then, during Jesus' millennium-long day of governing over Earth we will then learn more about God's purpose once the issue of divine Sovereignty is settled once and for all time to come.
The issue of divine sovereignty is already settled. It was at the cross. The resurrection was the proof of it. The issue is settled, evil lost. I don't understand your statement " If intelligent life elsewhere did not rebel then there would be no reason to settle the rebellion sin issue here on earth ". All created beings have free will. Because most didn't fall in the past doesn't mean they won't make terrible choices in the future. That is why the full measure of disobedience is being played out on earth. All of the ugly, brutal, and painful results are an object lesson to the universe on exactly what happens with the abuse of free will. It is a lesson that will, in some form, be remembered forever.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
And if you followed the post that you originally responded to, you'll see that I explained that the OP didn't understand the verses correctly and it doesn't say "purpose" but "blessed".

Didn't I just say, "No, of course not." when you asked me this in the previous post?

Sorry for misunderstanding your post, and yes I agree with yours.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
"They will" in verse 26 is not an imperative, its in the imperfect.

'When will your kids get home?'
'They will be home around six.'

Verse 28 can be read in the imperative...were it not for the first word of the verse explaining that the following is a blessing, not a command. Apparently in Biblical Hebrew, when you bless someone, you do so in the imperative. See Gen. 27:29, when Isaac is blessing Jacob he uses the imperative (be a master over your brothers) when the blessing directly relates to Jacob (as opposed to the rest of the blessings that speak about what other should do to Jacob).

Also whichever translation you're using is not that great. It seems to be introducing words into the text that aren't even there. If you need to use a Christian translation, I recommend Young's Literal as a generally more accurate translation.

Yeah...keep reading...

They will go to school.
They will do as they are told.
They will interpret the bible as instructed

Skwim

Veteran Member
I believe that science has established that we evolved from the lowest form of life to what we are now, the human species.
If this is true, then the human species must retain the heritage of all of the species on the planet in our genes.
But this this isn't how evolution works: all species descending from all previous species. Or even just Homo sapiens descending from all previous species.

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
They will go to school.
They will do as they are told.
They will interpret the bible as instructed
Yes, "they will" can be used as third person imperative. But what I was trying to say was that the original Hebrew text uses the imperfective aspect and that was translated to the English simple future form.

allfoak

Alchemist

But this this isn't how evolution works: all species descending from all previous species. Or even just Homo sapiens descending from all previous species.

Well, we do teach our children that we are made from the animal vegetable and mineral kingdoms.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes, "they will" can be used as third person imperative. But what I was trying to say was that the original Hebrew text uses the imperfective aspect and that was translated to the English simple future form.

Can it?

Will
  1. expressing the future tense.
    "you will regret it when you are older"
    • expressing a strong intention or assertion about the future.
      "come what may, I will succeed"
  2. expressing inevitable events.
    "accidents will happen"
    synonyms: have a tendency to, are bound to, have a habit of, do
    "accidents will happen"
  3. expressing a request.
    "will you stop here, please"
    • expressing desire, consent, or willingness.
      "will you have a cognac?"
  4. expressing facts about ability or capacity.
    "a rock so light that it will float on water"
  5. expressing habitual behaviour.
    "she will dance for hours"
    • (pronounced stressing ‘will’) indicating annoyance about the habitual behaviour described.
      "he will keep intruding"
  6. expressing probability or expectation about something in the present.
    "they will be miles away by now"
Sounds like interpretation to me

Tumah

Veteran Member
Can it?

Will
  1. expressing the future tense.
    "you will regret it when you are older"
    • expressing a strong intention or assertion about the future.
      "come what may, I will succeed"
  2. expressing inevitable events.
    "accidents will happen"
    synonyms: have a tendency to, are bound to, have a habit of, do
    "accidents will happen"
  3. expressing a request.
    "will you stop here, please"
    • expressing desire, consent, or willingness.
      "will you have a cognac?"
  4. expressing facts about ability or capacity.
    "a rock so light that it will float on water"
  5. expressing habitual behaviour.
    "she will dance for hours"
    • (pronounced stressing ‘will’) indicating annoyance about the habitual behaviour described.
      "he will keep intruding"
  6. expressing probability or expectation about something in the present.
    "they will be miles away by now"
Sounds like interpretation to me
What exactly is your question...?