• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our prayer changes as we age

Mark Dohle

oldwomanpraying1.jpg

Our prayer changes as we age

I of course can only speak from my experience when it comes to prayer, but I believe that the inner life as we age takes on a new dimension that is unknown by most people before they reach what we called ‘old age’. People who have a chronic disease from a young age or of course an exception in many cases, as can be seen in the numerous stories about the journey of children and young adults with their struggle.

I believe that one reason old age is often feared is that many illusions are taken away from us which can often be frightening, at least in the beginning. My first thirty years flowed by slowly compared to how I experience time now. When in my twenties, when I looked at older people, I sensed that they were at a place I was not at, and to tell you the truth on an emotional level, I never expected to become ‘one of them’. I was strong, in control, or so I thought but who I am now and who I was then is vastly different. It is not because of anything I have done on my own, it is just life, and it hones us, taking away what is no longer necessary for our journey.

As we age, it is learned (hopefully) that the word ‘pilgrim’ actually does pertain to us. We are in movement, never really finding a place of rest, for we are on a journey toward what we don’t know. Yet we long for something deeper than all the years we have lived have only deepened that thirst.

We often forget that our spiritual life is what feeds our relationship with the world around us. Christians are called to know themselves. The whole splinter in the eye of my neighbor and the log in mine cover that pretty clearly for me. To not judge also points to the reality of how we project our hidden aspects of ourselves and like a movie it is projected on those around us. The less we know ourselves the more we will fight, hate and belittle others……when in fact it is fed by our own self-loathing and hatred. So to love our neighbor as ourselves takes on a whole different meaning if pondered.

To be forgiven of sin, of an actual act that was caused by our will, something strong and free, is not magic. Just join a 12 step program if you want to know what purgatory is. We are forgiven, yet the habits are still three, the self-wounding still festers and our need to make amends is also needed…..all or forms of purification. To be forgiven, to convert, to allow the grace of God to do its work is a dance, a difficult one, that only becomes easier as we grow in the love and grace and healing bestow on us by grace. The gift of mercy is free, yet the healing takes time and yes the willingness to be open the healing fire of the Holy Spirit.-BrMD

pearl

One of my most common sayings 'Mt goodness, its Friday again, already!
Yes the time seems to rush by much faster as we age.

We are forgiven, yet the habits are still three,

As St Paul stated:
What I do, I do not understand. For I do not do what I want, but I do what I hate.

As for age I keep telling myself that age is a matter of mind, and if I don't mind, it doesn't matter. But of course, reality sneaks up.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I of course can only speak from my experience when it comes to prayer, but I believe that the inner life as we age takes on a new dimension that is unknown by most people before they reach what we called ‘old age’.
The Quakers [Society of Friends] state this in terms of all human life has an "inner light" within us, thus a "piece" of God, and that we should try and tap into that especially through contemplative meditation, which is a form of prayer. This is largely my approach as well as I've gotten old-- er, I mean more mature:rolleyes:.

Mark Dohle

One of my most common sayings 'Mt goodness, its Friday again, already!
Yes the time seems to rush by much faster as we age.

As St Paul stated:
What I do, I do not understand. For I do not do what I want, but I do what I hate.

As for age I keep telling myself that age is a matter of mind, and if I don't mind, it doesn't matter. But of course, reality sneaks up.
Sneaks up, true, but more like a rush LOL.