• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our own actions define who we are

A Vestigial Mote

I don't [agree or disagree] with anyone based upon....
-their opinions
This particular combination of words from your starting sentence and your list makes you an outright liar. I can basically prove this just by pointing back to our most recent exchange in another thread. You should probably amend this.

epronovost

Wouldn't it be nice if that's how the world and everyone viewed each other.

It's unfortunately nearly impossible due to human nature in my opinion. We can't know all the people we interract with which means a good dose of social conventions, prejudice and group identification are necessary if only to better navigate social encounters and as social lubricant. Of course, the downside of these is negative prejudices, bigotry, fallacious amalgames. Going completely free of any prejudice or preconception or group affiliation isn't all that great either. It would mean we would treat strangers by an often just arbitrary impersonnal norm and by their appearence/the very limited number of interraction you have with one person. That's not all that great either. What's important is being reasonnable, conscious of one's own bias and open hearted which I believe is also at the core of your message.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't like or dislike...or agree or disagree with anyone based upon....

-their belief or lack of belief
-their race
-their political affiliations
-their opinions
-their job
-their wealth
-their stature
-their friends
-etc.

I simply look at the person for "who" they are and how they are. The above list of garbage is of no matter to me. Be a good person and I will treat you as a good person and I expect the same.

Who we really are is reflected in everything we do. We can hide, lie, even deny but who we truly are is reflected in our actions.

Wouldn't it be nice if that's how the world and everyone viewed each other.
It sounds like you favor treating people as individuals.
You'll never make it in politics.

PureX

Veteran Member
I would say that it's more our CHOICES that define who we are, as opposed to our actions.

Our actions often have different results that those we intended, and so are not directly related to who we are, or were, when we set things in motion. Whereas our intentions, regardless of the results, really are "of us". They really do directly reflect who we are.

We have very little control over what life confronts us with. But we do have control over how we choose to respond. And it's over the course of our lifetime of choosing our response to the circumstances of life that we are continually determining and defining who we are as individual, autonomous beings.