1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Mother Jesus

Discussion in 'Episcopal/Anglicans DIR' started by lunamoth, Aug 31, 2006.

1. lunamoth

lunamoth Will to love

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    So, what is the most controversial thing in the news about the Episcopal Church USA these days? Think it's the bruahah over our homosexual Bishop, the possible cleaving from the AC? Guess again.

Unfortunately in the resulting flood of response to the Bishop-elect's controversial use of the phrase "Our mother Jesus," little attention was paid to the main theme of her homily, and what I think is the most important message today as we are tossed about in the winds of conflict: "Fear not. I am with you."

Thoughts?

luna

2. Pah

Pah Uber all member

Ratings:
    +1,057
    As a former Episcopalian, I take some leave to post here. The phrase was not an identication of Christ as mother but only a figurative extension of the "birthing" of a new creation. I don't believe there is any theology behind it.

3. sojourner

sojourner Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Ratings:
    +5,517
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    Being a former Episcopalian and pastoral assistant, I hope my comments in this board are acceptable.

It took an incredible amount of open mindedness for Thomas Cramner to come up with a prayer book that found truth in between the battle lines of Catholic vs. Protestant.

It took an incredible amount of open mindedness for William White and Samuel Seabury to find truth in between the Loyalists and the Patriots.

The Episcopal Church has historically been open minded and courageous -- in its stance on ordination of women, in its election of an openly gay bishop. I hope it will continue to be open minded in its search for common ground and common prayer.

If we can refer to the Father as "Mother God," why not Jesus? It's metaphorical.