• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Inner Ark

Lightkeeper

Water is a symbol of the Unconscious. Birds are a symbol of transcendence. The rainbow could be a connective bridge between the unconscious and the conscious. Inwardly this story depicts becoming more conscious or more enlightened. Inwardly we deal in symbols. The inner and outer work together. I don't think it matters if there were an outer ocurrence. It's where you are and how you are reacting to the outer that is important.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Though popular, I think the Black Sea flood is the least likely and least necessary source. All great rivers experience catastrophic floods of "biblical proportions". It seems far more likely that the Sumerian Flood myth was motivated by experiences local to the Tigres-Euphates flood plain. The alternative is to posit an oral history maintained over a period of two millineia.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I love your interpretation of Noah's Flood, Lightkeeper. But is it just us, or does anyone else feel that the symbolism in the story is far more interesting and beautiful than the issue of whether the story is literally true or not?

The issue of transcending an inner conflict to gain some measure of enlightenment is timeless. It is something that anyone, and perhaps even everyone, will at one point or another in their lives deal with. Stories like Noah's Flood help us to deal with that issue, if we have the eyes to see the story in its symbolic riches.

I'm not saying that the question of the historical origin of the Noah Flood story is entirely uninteresting. But it's my personal opinion that the inner story is somewhat more interesting.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Sunstone said:
I'm not saying that the question of the historical origin of the Noah Flood story is entirely uninteresting. But it's my personal opinion that the inner story is somewhat more interesting.
What inner story? Some gossamer fairy-tale laced with pastel images and delicate, self-imposed symbolism? What of a story whose 'curse of Ham' becomes the theological justification for centuries of racism. What of the world wide biocide, where God's peculiar justice makes today's tsunami devastation seem like a walk in the park. To each his own, but I have no interest in a sanitized Bible.

Lightkeeper

Sunstone said:
I love your interpretation of Noah's Flood, Lightkeeper. But is it just us, or does anyone else feel that the symbolism in the story is far more interesting and beautiful than the issue of whether the story is literally true or not?

The issue of transcending an inner conflict to gain some measure of enlightenment is timeless. It is something that anyone, and perhaps even everyone, will at one point or another in their lives deal with. Stories like Noah's Flood help us to deal with that issue, if we have the eyes to see the story in its symbolic riches.

I think the problem is many don't see the inner process, they want to project everything outside of themselves. I have often wondered why and the only conclusion I have been able to come to is to see the inner means to take responsibility for ourselves. It takes courage to look at ourselves and inward. There will always be stories and there will always be people who don't see the inner process and project distortion. The pure in heart see.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Lightkeeper, what do you think is the conflict that begins the story? Is it conflict between consciousness and the subconscious? Is it the conflict that is inherent in viewing the world in black and white terms?

To put it differently, why is God angry with humanity? What is the fundamental nature of sin in the story that makes God decide to destroy the existing order?

Lightkeeper

Sunstone said:
Lightkeeper, what do you think is the conflict that begins the story? Is it conflict between consciousness and the subconscious? Is it the conflict that is inherent in viewing the world in black and white terms?

To put it differently, why is God angry with humanity? What is the fundamental nature of sin in the story that makes God decide to destroy the existing order?
It is a projection to say God is angry and has decided to destroy the existing order. I think it's the same theme as you have to die to be born again. In order to attain harmony inwardly we sometimes need to get rid of things that don't work. It's about inner renewal.