• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Inner Ark

Lightkeeper

If we assume that the Noah's Ark story depicts an inner process we go through it is interesting to try to figure what all of the symbols in the story mean.

The Ark could be our consciousness as it stands now. The flood would be life's trials and tribulations, the rain could be stream of consciousness. The 2 of each kind animals could symbolize the union of negative and positive or the union of male and female in our consciousness. The end of the flood means we have reached higher ground or higher consciousness. The Dove brings an olive branch, what would that mean? How about the rainbow, what could that signify? Do you agree that this could be an inner journey or did the flood actually happen?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think that's a beautiful interpretation, Lightkeeper! Perhaps the Dove symbolizes achieving peace with ourselves, and the rainbow symbolizes that we are no longer seeing things as black and white, but in colors?

chuck010342

Lightkeeper said:
If we assume that the Noah's Ark story depicts an inner process we go through it is interesting to try to figure what all of the symbols in the story mean.

Yeah it is. I love how your are open by saying that you assume.

Lightkeeper said:
The Ark could be our consciousness as it stands now.

Or it could be a literal boat but if not literal then I see the Ark as Jesus.

Lightkeeper said:
The flood would be life's trials and tribulations, the rain could be stream of consciousness.

I see it as Gods Judgement on a sinful people

Lightkeeper said:
The 2 of each kind animals could symbolize the union of negative and positive or the union of male and female in our consciousness.

I see the two animals to mean that God wanted life to continue after his judgement.

Lightkeeper said:
The end of the flood means we have reached higher ground or higher consciousness.

I see that the Ressurection of the dead is end of the flood.

Lightkeeper said:
The Dove brings an olive branch, what would that mean?

That there will be everlasting peace and rightousness of the New Jeruselm

Lightkeeper said:
did the flood actually happen?

YES

fromthe heart

Lightkeeper said:

The Ark could be our consciousness as it stands now. The flood would be life's trials and tribulations, the rain could be stream of consciousness. The 2 of each kind animals could symbolize the union of negative and positive or the union of male and female in our consciousness. The end of the flood means we have reached higher ground or higher consciousness. The Dove brings an olive branch, what would that mean? How about the rainbow, what could that signify? Do you agree that this could be an inner journey or did the flood actually happen?
I believe the flood actually happened but I like your depiction...Dove with olive branch? contentment. Rainbow? Inner joy...like you feel when you see a rainbow

chuck010342

chuck010342 said:
Yeah it is. I love how your are open by saying that you assume.

Or it could be a literal boat but if not literal then I see the Ark as Jesus.

I see it as Gods Judgement on a sinful people

I see the two animals to mean that God wanted life to continue after his judgement.

I see that the Ressurection of the dead is end of the flood.

That there will be everlasting peace and rightousness of the New Jeruselm

YES

Who left a comment on this post?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Lightkeeper said:
If we assume that the Noah's Ark story depicts an inner process ...
Clearly we are dealing with allegory representing the efforts of the Sea Peoples who later played havoc with both West Semitic and Egyptian regimes. The animals represent those prisoners captured from each regional principality, the ravens the spies inserted into the lands of the Hittites, Hyksos, and Mitanni, and the doves the later diplomatic envoys who released the prisoners and secured access to the Levant.

... or, perhaps, the story is precisely as it appears: the redaction of a Summerian flood myth. While I can understand the desire to rescue Genesis from the taint of really bad fiction, that's really all we have going on here.

chuck010342

Deut. 32.8 said:
Clearly we are dealing with allegory representing the efforts of the Sea Peoples who later played havoc with both West Semitic and Egyptian regimes.

No allegory the events of Noahs day actually happened.

Deut. 32.8 said:
the redaction of a Summerian flood myth. While I can understand the desire to rescue Genesis from the taint of really bad fiction, that's really all we have going on here.

What we have here is the truth and the Summerians are the ones who have the redaction of the Genesis account. The only really bad fiction is your previous statement

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
chuck010342 said:
What we have here is the truth and the Summerians are the ones who have the redaction of the Genesis account. The only really bad fiction is your previous statement
Since there are a number of flood myths worldwide, I would not post such an answer. I would also not do so in such an unkind manner.

chuck010342

The reason I post such an answer is because that what happened. And the reason I posted it that way is because he said the bible was bad fiction and that is insulting to me and my faith

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
(Please forgive me for being off-topic, but I would like to see if I can avert disaster.)

chuck010342 said:
The reason I post such an answer is because that what happened. And the reason I posted it that way is because he said the bible was bad fiction and that is insulting to me and my faith
You are entitled to your beliefs, and should feel welcome to share them. The awkward thing on these forums is that, while the majority of RF is a gentle, peaceful environment, the debate section is where, if you make a statement, it is expected to be followed up by a logical explanation and, where appropriate, sources. (If most of RF is 'the kiddie pool', the Debates section is the shark tank.)

If I'm interpreting the situation correctly, this is happening because your interpretation of Biblical scripture is conflicting with Deut. 32.8s' interpretation of it. As I said before, you are entitled to your beliefs, but so is he. That doesn't mean either of you is wrong or right, it simply means that if you want your argument to be seen as 'right', in the Debates section you're arguments will weigh more if you explain them, using terms that do not imply that other religions are not valid.)

While I cannot and should not speak for another, I do not think Deut. 32.8s' statements were intended as a insult to you or your faith. A number of people here (of all faiths) on RF are comfortable with the concept that their religion is based upon a work that may or may not contain events that actually happened, or thing that people may have or may have not actually said. That is never meant to imply that these works and the people that choose to follow them are of any lesser value for it. I might have taken issue with the word 'bad', but I do not think the rest of it is insulting. If you would like to debate whether or not the events of the Bible (or any other work) are fictional, you can feel free to start another thread, of course.

chuck010342

Deut. 32.8 said:
Poor Chuck. He strolls willingly into a debate forum then whines that others disagree with him and his fairy-tales. Poor, poor Chuck.

I'm not whinning as feathers said so wonderfully You and I have different views and in the debate section is where we can discuss them. However if your not willing to give any evidence for what you believe then I don't feel that I'm obligated to give any evidence agianst your claims. I don't care if you disagree with me But I do care if you want to make a statement and I think its wrong I can say my rebutal so to speak.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
chuck010342 said:
I don't care if you disagree with me But I do care if you want to make a statement and I think its wrong I can say my rebutal so to speak.
Of course you can, and with absolutely no offense taken. So, tell me, when was this Flood of yours?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Here's a tough question for you. Lightkeeper began this thread by asking us to assume that Noah's flood was a metaphore for inner processes. Now here's the question: Can Noah's flood be both a metaphore for inner processes and a real event? If so, how would that change the meaning of Noah's Flood? If not, why not?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I think that the story of Noah's ark was a parable. It is a story about why one should place his trust in God dispite what others think of you. It also helps to reinforce the notion that humanity is dominate over the animals as it was up to the faith of one man to save all life on earth.

Not that I agree with the story, but it is a valid religious tool for teaching such ideas.

wa:do

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I'm very interested in the idea of the Ark as both a parable and an interpretation of real events. Would an event as horrific as a world-wide flood be remembered as an actual event, or would the event be eventually forgotten, but then used by some groups as a way of teaching their lessons to their offspring, knowing that some sort of racial memory of the event would reinforce those lessons? (I should say that, by 'racial,' I mean the human race, since so many different cultures seem to have a variation on the story.)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm not sure that I would personally subscribe to the notion that Noah's Flood was a real event, but if I did, then I would still wonder why it had been included in the bible? I would not think the mere fact it was a real event by itself warranted its inclusion in the bible. So, I would be looking for some sort of meaning that it might have. And I wouldn't just stop looking if all I found was an outward meaning, but would continue searching for what sort of inner meaning it also had. All of this assumes of course that I believed it to be a real event in the first place.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I think that the flood event of the Black sea was the most likely source for a 'world swallowing' flood story. 7,500 years ago the Black sea was a large freashwater lake, with numerous settlements. Then in a sudden and catistrophic few days the land that seperated the Black sea from the Mediteranian collapsed and the ocean flooded the area for hundreds of miles. Estimates put the flood at filling in the Black sea to current levels at a rate of over 20 miles a day. All told it filled in the lake to an addtional 150 meters in depth.

It wouldn't take much for the survivors tales of fleeing a massive flood to turn into a 'world distroying' flood over the cource of a few thousand years of re-telling.

wa:do