• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Future Among the Stars

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Maintaining the necessary thrust (aka hovering) is accelerating (at 9.81 m/s^2 on earth).

Technically, yes, however your radial speed could be constant if you maintain the right trust.

Leaving radially at low speeds is very expensive because every second you are below escape velocity, you have to pay (thrust) just for staying in place and additionally for getting away.

Indeed.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
our future among the stars is science fiction

you will lose your bones
and your mind

we entertain our frame.....mind and body in a most complex and expensive manner

we cannot take our life...and manner of living....up there

even at the speed of light
the creature you were at ''''engage"""

would have no resemblance to the creature that arrives at the destination

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
our future among the stars is science fiction

you will lose your bones
and your mind

we entertain our frame.....mind and body in a most complex and expensive manner

we cannot take our life...and manner of living....up there

even at the speed of light
the creature you were at ''''engage"""

would have no resemblance to the creature that arrives at the destination

There other ways for humans to travel long distances - like 'frozen' sperm and ova, and where advanced intelligent machines would do the necessary to make any particular place sufficiently habitable for them. When such is done then humans might be reared to take over. A long long way into the future no doubt, but possible, and the 'frozen' might need some working on to achieve the likely timescales involved.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
and astronauts feel what?...on the way up

They feel high acceleration because that's the most practical way of doing it given our current technology. However, there is no law of physics that means that you have to attain a certain acceleration in order to escape the Earth.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
and astronauts feel what?...on the way up
gravity, which is the effect of acceleration on their mass.

According to spaceanswers.com

'Astronauts normally experience a maximum g-force of around 3gs during a rocket launch. This is equivalent to three times the force of gravity humans are normally exposed to when on Earth but is survivable for the passengers. Astronauts are trained in high g-force, wear g-suits and must be correctly prepared.'

fighter pilots wear special adaptive suits and are trained to be able to take up to 10 Gs for a few seconds without blacking out.

Once acceleration ends, the astronauts experience free-fall, or 'zero-g'

However, if an acceleration at 1 G could be maintained, the rate of increasing speed of 32 feet per second, added every second, rapidly gives the spacecraft enough speed to escape Earth, then the Solar System, and in less than a year, approach the speed of light. All while experiencing the 1 G feel of being on Earth.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
There other ways for humans to travel long distances - like 'frozen' sperm and ova, and where advanced intelligent machines would do the necessary to make any particular place sufficiently habitable for them. When such is done then humans might be reared to take over. A long long way into the future no doubt, but possible, and the 'frozen' might need some working on to achieve the likely timescales involved.
you made my point for me

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
you made my point for me

I'm not sure I did. You seem to believe that life off Earth is not possible, even in the far distant future. I was suggesting that the normal mode of doing so (suspended animation or 'frozen') is unlikely to work over the distances involved, such that another method would have to be used. Given that advances in AI and machines would enable such - which is a possibility but may be remote as well.

ManSinha

Once again with apologies to the OP - there is another thought whereby the issues raised by @Thief and @Mock Turtle may be circumvented. To whit, would it ever be possible for humanity to download the "essence" of what makes us, us, onto a piece of hardware. This can then be transferred from body to body
Those of you that have access to Netflix may want to take a look at Altered Carbon - humans outliving their body for centuries by carrying their consciousness forth via technology.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Once again with apologies to the OP - there is another thought whereby the issues raised by @Thief and @Mock Turtle may be circumvented. To whit, would it ever be possible for humanity to download the "essence" of what makes us, us, onto a piece of hardware. This can then be transferred from body to body
Those of you that have access to Netflix may want to take a look at Altered Carbon - humans outliving their body for centuries by carrying their consciousness forth via technology.

That may be another option in the future but I think my option is technically far easier than this. Not that we can guess exactly how advanced we might get if we survive for tens of thousands of years or longer.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I'm not sure I did. You seem to believe that life off Earth is not possible, even in the far distant future. I was suggesting that the normal mode of doing so (suspended animation or 'frozen') is unlikely to work over the distances involved, such that another method would have to be used. Given that advances in AI and machines would enable such - which is a possibility but may be remote as well.
I think I have suggested a scenario as in.....the Day the Earth Stood Still
using a shell of flesh suited to the next world to visit
but that's not human.....is it?

and suggested......a robot shell with your brain inside it
but that's not human.....is it?

and in the course of keeping your mental state as functional
you suggest.....being sent wherever as an embryo
and raised by some machine.....
and that's not really human either

and that last scenario is a movie several years old
I think it's called ....Mother

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
you suggest.....being sent wherever as an embryo
and raised by some machine.....
and that's not really human either

and that last scenario is a movie several years old
I think it's called ....Mother

Yes I know it isn't a new idea, and how isn't it human when it is the same process we have at the moment? It's just that we (the earliest travellers) would be raised by machines (that looked and behaved like humans no doubt), until normal life could take over the reproduction process.

Heyo

Veteran Member
That may be another option in the future but I think my option is technically far easier than this. Not that we can guess exactly how advanced we might get if we survive for tens of thousands of years or longer.
What about an idea that is technically possible today?
Build a ship to live in for the rest of your life. (We already know how to do that.) Travel to another star system. (We theoretically know how to do that and have at least proof of concept.) Build new habitats with material from asteroids and small moons. (We will know to do that since that is most probable how we will build the ship here.) Reproduce naturally (We know how to do that ;-).) or, to avoid a genetic bottleneck, take frozen embryos and implant them into surrogate mothers. (Again, we know how to do that.)
We already have all the technology needed to colonize the galaxy. Some isn't tested yet or not reliable enough and the whole project is prohibitive expensive but there is no technological reason holding us back.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
speculation.....the octopus....

copper based blood
alien appearance......and few if any bones

crashed landed eons ago
didn't bother to teach the young anything about 'home'

not going back

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
What about an idea that is technically possible today?
Build a ship to live in for the rest of your life. (We already know how to do that.) Travel to another star system. (We theoretically know how to do that and have at least proof of concept.) Build new habitats with material from asteroids and small moons. (We will know to do that since that is most probable how we will build the ship here.) Reproduce naturally (We know how to do that ;-).) or, to avoid a genetic bottleneck, take frozen embryos and implant them into surrogate mothers. (Again, we know how to do that.)
We already have all the technology needed to colonize the galaxy. Some isn't tested yet or not reliable enough and the whole project is prohibitive expensive but there is no technological reason holding us back.

I suspect the logistics of doing this might be a problem, unless humans are in suspended animation (not possible at the moment), since feeding them for so long and the problems involved in obtaining materials along with any conflicts that might develop (can't trust that humans will suddenly behave like little angels) is eliminated by not having adult humans in the mix.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I suspect the logistics of doing this might be a problem, unless humans are in suspended animation (not possible at the moment), since feeding them for so long and the problems involved in obtaining materials along with any conflicts that might develop (can't trust that humans will suddenly behave like little angels) is eliminated by not having adult humans in the mix.
There would have to be a cycle ecology on board (known concept).
I'm not so misanthropic. (OK, I am towards the average human.) The crew would have to be carefully chosen, yes, but it should be possible to live together when people have a common goal (and no choice but to stick together).