• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our faults-Changing perspective

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What would happen to society if we-you (the reader), me, and the rest of the world stopped looking at/for and blaming our mortality and others for our/their external and/or internal faults?

This is in All religions and in societies all over the world as a whole. What if...

King Phenomenon

What would happen to society if we-you (the reader), me, and the rest of the world stopped looking at/for and blaming our mortality and others for our/their external and/or internal faults?

This is in All religions and in societies all over the world as a whole. What if...
I blame myself when I do something wrong not my mortality.

If you're suggesting that religions use mortality in that way, I don't think people would change much if there were never any religious texts in the world. There would still be bad ideas through oral communication.

It is a nice notion what you put fourth though and it would be a better world. I think it boils down to the individuals thoughts, really.

February-Saturday

Devil Worshiper
I really do believe, although it's hard to live by, that placing blame doesn't help anyone. Judging others for their flaws does nothing but tear us down.

That isn't to say that we shouldn't address bad behavior, or self-destructive behavior, or keep the flaws of others in mind when navigating around them. Attacking them, though, achieves nothing.

It's a big part of why I'm trying my darnedest to be a pacifist.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I am responsible for myself, any faults i have are mine, (although i have yet to find one ;-)

I really don't want understand the need to lay blame on others.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I blame myself when I do something wrong not my mortality.

If you're suggesting that religions use mortality in that way, I don't think people would change much if there were never any religious texts in the world. There would still be bad ideas through oral communication.

It is a nice notion what you put fourth though and it would be a better world. I think it boils down to the individuals thoughts, really.

Why do you blame yourself (what do you blame)?

Mortality meaning more everything is temporary and will die. People associate that with imperfection of the flesh-bad behaviors we do and the reasons behind them. If it's not your mortality that leads you to blame yourself, "who" blames "who"? Your spirit? Mind? How do you define yourself in a manner of who did wrong and who blamed who?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am responsible for myself, any faults i have are mine, (although i have yet to find one ;-)

I really don't want understand the need to lay blame on others.

Blame others more like put them at fault. I know that you do; it's on the RF (it's a natural human reaction when one is perceived and/or feels other people have harmed them [at fault]; and, many blame others intentionally or not).

But, what I'm getting at more is our mortality. What's behind our blaming ourselves and others for the imperfections (if we see it that way) of our flesh? (or mind? or spirit?). Unless everyone is perfect (so no fault, no one to blame intentional or not), why does one blame themselves, others, or our/their mortality-and even more so wouldn't a world be a better pace if we didn't do this?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Blame others more like put them at fault. I know that you do; it's on the RF (it's a natural human reaction when one is perceived and/or feels other people have harmed them [at fault]; and, many blame others intentionally or not).

But, what I'm getting at more is our mortality. What's behind our blaming ourselves and others for the imperfections (if we see it that way) of our flesh? (or mind? or spirit?). Unless everyone is perfect (so no fault, no one to blame intentional or not), why does one blame themselves, others, or our/their mortality-and even more so wouldn't a world be a better pace if we didn't do this?

I am responsible for myself not for anyone else, if i harm myself then that is my problem but if someone harms me how is that my fault?

And i am quite content with my morality thanks?

Know others have different moral values, some are really quite awful so what i understand that you are saying is that you think the world would be a better place of thieves, crooks, rapists, murderers etc if they weren't blamed for their crimes. If i read you right could you please explain the logic behind this?

King Phenomenon

Why do you blame yourself (what do you blame)?

Mortality meaning more everything is temporary and will die. People associate that with imperfection of the flesh-bad behaviors we do and the reasons behind them. If it's not your mortality that leads you to blame yourself, "who" blames "who"? Your spirit? Mind? How do you define yourself in a manner of who did wrong and who blamed who?
Only thing I can say is when I do something wrong I recognize it and try not to do it again.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am responsible for myself not for anyone else, if i harm myself then that is my problem but if someone harms me how is that my fault?

Know others have different moral values, some are really quite awful so what i understand that you are saying is that you think the world would be a better place of thieves, crooks, rapists, murderers etc if they weren't blamed for their crimes. If i read you right could you please explain the logic behind this?

I think you read it wrong. I'll shorten it later.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't see the connection between mortality and our dispositions.

Some people assign their and/or others faults (lbw atm) to the imperfections (which some cultures equate with death) of the flesh, mind and/or heart. It could be death, ego, imperfection, or evil etc. But none see themselves at fault just as much as a murderer or child rapest. So we tend to judge the level of ones imperfections and maybe society would be better if we didn't. Ideal, I guess.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

It isn't.

Don't know. Many people aren't comfortable with their mortality (imperfections of the flesh, ego, temporal nature, etc)

No, I don't think so...

I said the world would be a better place if we stop blaming our and others morality (flesh/mind/whatever) for their faults.

Can't remember my intent of the OP. I just see people blaming themselves and others for their faults. Blaming for example can lead to punishment and judgement. Negativity. The world would be a better place if we didn't blame others insofar when we do, we develop judgement. It's the consequences of blaming that's the issue not taking away the consequences of a person's actions by not blaming them for what they did.

Which makes me think. If we committed a felony against a child, do we deserve to die?

(Not others-we are good at judging others) but what about ourselves? Do we deserve to die?

ChristineM

Premium Member

Thank you?

Don't know. Many people aren't comfortable with their mortality (imperfections of the flesh, ego, temporal nature, etc)

Ok

No, I don't think so...

I said the world would be a better place if we stop blaming our and others morality (flesh/mind/whatever) for their faults.

Depends on those faults

Which makes me think. If we committed a felony against a child,

You would be subject to the relevant law

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You would be subject to the relevant law

More talking about one's own morals and opinions rather than legal consequences. I don't know if anyone thought about they deserving their own death for a hypothetical crime they may imagined committing. Yet, we condemn others. But most people I know (OP related) do have some sort of blame (or other like word) on humanity. It's in the language. But when asked directly, well, many see themselves as "not that bad off compared."

But the world would be a better place if we acknowledged it at least. I came across a few criminals charged with murder at a rehab place. I don't know them personally, but I thought it was kind of interesting when a handful say they regret their charges and actually getting a job. Well, we can believe them or say they are lying, but the world would be a better place if we didn't assume other people's worth based on our experiences and biases.

Legal stuff irrelevant to this.

ChristineM

Premium Member
More talking about one's own morals and opinions rather than legal consequences. I don't know if anyone thought about they deserving their own death for a hypothetical crime they may imagined committing. Yet, we condemn others. But most people I know (OP related) do have some sort of blame (or other like word) on humanity. It's in the language. But when asked directly, well, many see themselves as "not that bad off compared."

But the world would be a better place if we acknowledged it at least. I came across a few criminals charged with murder at a rehab place. I don't know them personally, but I thought it was kind of interesting when a handful say they regret their charges and actually getting a job. Well, we can believe them or say they are lying, but the world would be a better place if we didn't assume other people's worth based on our experiences and biases.

Legal stuff irrelevant to this.

You raised the *felony against a child* idea, hence the legal stuff.

When we condemn others it is generally not for a hypothetical crime but a real one.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You raised the *felony against a child* idea, hence the legal stuff.

When we condemn others it is generally not for a hypothetical crime but a real one.

Yes. I know. Anything can be taken as a hypothetical. I didn't present it as a legal question hypothetical but a moral one.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yes. I know. Anything can be taken as a hypothetical. I didn't present it as a legal question hypothetical but a moral one.

I am lost now, in the last few posts you have presented both legal and hypothetical comments. I am not going any further with this.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am lost now, in the last few posts you have presented both legal and hypothetical comments. I am not going any further with this.

You confused me. I presented the OP, commented, if you didn't understand ask for clarification. If you know you disagree with me and don't care to converse, don't answer my OP. Conversations don't need to be a friction to offer opinions and ask for clarification. Don't put yourself in a conversation you know you won't finish.