• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our "European friends" show their true colours

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
What you don't mention is that the EU has issued a ban on the export of surgical masks to countries outside the EU.

New EU and National Export Controls on Face Masks and Medical Protective Equipment | Insight | Baker McKenzie

On Sunday 15 March 2020 the Commission published an Implementing Regulation that prohibits the export of the personal protective equipment listed in Annex I to the Implementing Regulation, whether or not originating in the EU, to destinations outside the EU, unless a licence is first obtained from a Member State. The Implementing Regulation was made pursuant to Article 5 of Regulation (EU) 2015/479, which permits the Commission to adopt temporary export control measures in order to prevent or remedy critical situations arising from shortages of essential products.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Hilarious lack of self-awareness! What do you expect?

We've left the EU now - which the government has been trumpeting as a great achievement. It has been making a point of supposedly not needing to collaborate with our former EU partners.

If there is a queue for medical supplies, we should expect France to put the UK at least behind the 27 members of the EU. Which, er, is what seems to be happening. (Pretty hard to argue we should come before Italy, to give one example.)

How absurd to complain.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
What you don't mention is that the EU has issued a ban on the export of surgical masks to countries outside the EU.
Looks a punishment beating for daring to leave the EU

I bet that's how the French see it even if it really isn't

I'm so glad we're now out of that little club

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Hilarious lack of self-awareness! What do you expect?

We've left the EU now - which the government has been trumpeting as a great achievement. It has been making a point of supposedly not needing to collaborate with our former EU partners.

If there is a queue for medical supplies, we should expect France to put the UK at least behind the 27 members of the EU. Which, er, is what seems to be happening.

How absurd to complain.
Yes, I know all this

But I expect the French will get some gratification out of it

A way of getting back at us for daring to leave the EU

A punishment beating, essentially

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yes, I know all this

No.
They need those masks.

This is apolitical, you realise?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yes, I know all this

You can resent it as much as you like but we chose to leave, causing trouble and economic damage to them, so they owe us no favours. They are entitled to show solidarity with the 27. In fact they are mandated to do that by EU directions.

The "punishment beating" idea is just the sort of silly, resentful language of people who on the one hand despise the EU and can't wait to be rid of it, but on the other still expect to treated as their bosom buddies after kicking them in the nuts. Grow up and choose.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The Uk has banned the export of a number of medicines and medical supplies. in particular Paracetamol.

keeping things in house seems to be the norm at the moment.
The UK seems to have a poor death rate to Covid19. compared to many other countries.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
You can resent it as much as you like but we chose to leave, causing trouble and economic damage to them, so they owe us no favours. They are entitled to show solidarity with the 27. In fact they are mandated to do that by EU directions.

The "punishment beating" idea is just the sort of silly, resentful language of people who on the one hand despise the EU and can't wait to be rid of it, but on the other still expect to treated as their bosom buddies after kicking them in the nuts. Grow up and choose.
You know what? In spite of this incident (gleefully cutting off medical supplies) I am still glad we left

And I accept this as a consequence of Brexit

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

^ this

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes, I know all this

No, the french would rather you hadn't run away but seeing as how you have, then European law is still in force in Europe

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Looks a punishment beating for daring to leave the EU

I bet that's how the French see it even if it really isn't

I'm so glad we're now out of that little club
"I'm so glad we're out of their club"

Also "WAAHHH! HOW DARE THEY TREAT US LIKE WE'RE NOT IN THEIR CLUB ANYMORE??!"

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
What evidence can you cite to support your claim that it was "gleeful"?
It is consistent with my understanding of human nature, about which I have quite a dim view...

This belief therefore has a rational basis, even if it cannot be in any way proved

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You know what? In spite of this incident (gleefully cutting off medical supplies) I am still glad we left

And I accept this as a consequence of Brexit

So you would rather not be in Europe but you still expect all the benefits of being in Europe.

No glee involve, simply following the rules set out for the emergency. And face it, the UK have done exactly the same

'Parallel export' of essential drugs banned to protect UK in coronavirus outbreak

How gleeful are you about that?