• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our atomic ocean. 5 Hiroshima bombs every second.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I predict mankind will survive.
Money back guarantee.

I got quad tires for shoulder pads.

A Sons of Trump t-shirt.

A copy of the original Mad Max movie to be used for training.

And a buggy with a steam boiler on it decorated with cattle horns and spikes and a tempered steel roll bar.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The Ocean is Warming at a Rate of 5 Atom Bombs Per Second

So what do you think? Has the Apocalypse finally arrived to put us all out of our misery?
I don't think this sort of representation of energy is at all helpful, actually, though it undoubtedly makes an eye-catching headline for a journalist.

To put it in context you need to look at the heat balance of the entire Earth, i.e. the heat intercepted from the sun on the daytime side and the heat re-radiated into space on the night-time side. This figure results from the difference between the two, accumulated over years. So it's hardly surprising it's a big number when converted into Joules. (You need 4.82 Joules to heat 1 cc of water by 1 degree Celsius, so a Joule is a pretty small unit of heat.)

What matters is the change in temperature of the planet, rather than some telephone number of Joules of heat.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The vast majority of the media is pro-sensationalism. But the reality is as @exchemist wrote, what is really important is the what is really going on especially in areas most sensitive to climate change.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
So what do you think? Has the Apocalypse finally arrived to put us all out of our misery?
The extinction of species is something to be concerned about, at least until they are catalogued and their DNA patterns stored. Each species has unique properties and can mean survival or extinction for us later. We're wiping out insect species, ocean species and birds. They have not all been studied, yet; so they are a total loss. The biggest loss I think is the medical potential, but there are other unknown risks.

Other problems are that with decreasing species we wind up with a world that is more likely to have food chain problems and strange water problems. All these bugs, birds and ocean critters do things for us that we don't yet know about. There could be some crucial species out there, maybe even just a single one, that if it dies we all pay dearly.

Recently somebody found out the rolly-polly bugs remove some toxic heavy metals from the environment. We didn't know that before, and these are well known critters. That is a big plus for us that they do that. There are lots more critters that we don't know what they can do, and they are dying.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't think this sort of representation of energy is at all helpful, actually, though it undoubtedly makes an eye-catching headline for a journalist.

To put it in context you need to look at the heat balance of the entire Earth, i.e. the heat intercepted from the sun on the daytime side and the heat re-radiated into space on the night-time side. This figure results from the difference between the two, accumulated over years. So it's hardly surprising it's a big number when converted into Joules. (You need 4.82 Joules to heat 1 cc of water by 1 degree Celsius, so a Joule is a pretty small unit of heat.)

What matters is the change in temperature of the planet, rather than some telephone number of Joules of heat.
The strange (or not so strange) thing is a scientist brought up the metaphor. Lijing Cheng

Cooky

Veteran Member
Earth is just barely habitable as it is, existing on the outer fringes of the "habital zone".

Other planets such as TOI 700 d are actually more habitable than earth.