• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Otherkin?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
What does everyone think about the idea of "otherkin"? Do you think it's legitimate, or is the idea simply wishful thinking?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I've heard it described in several different ways. In one of the ways, my concept of myself was kind of included, and that freaked me out.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Short version: people who believe they are in some way part animal, but of the mythological variety, by blood, spirit or past life. So, like someone who believes they are part faery.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
For example, in my case, I believe that the 'form' ones soul takes is that of whatever being they were first incarnated as, so that you take along the thoughts of having been that form in whatever you are then incarnated as.

I think that some of it is true but that some other people might turn to it because they're simply pulled in by their wish to emulate or connect with certain animals.

Ody

I would like to apologize

I thought furries and otherkin where the same thing.

They are not!

Sorry!

Furries scare me. Otherkind don't!

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
‡Ød¥‡ said:
Otherkin and furries scare me and flood some forums I visit...

Furries are my kinda crazy. =)

shhh...don't tell anyone, but I'm a furry in my spare time. It's a secret. ^^

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I think that 'furries' might simply be attempting to find a way to connect with their spirit animals. A shamanic way of taking on the attributes of a creature is to dress as them- wear masks in their image, mimic them in movements. It has the potential to be very powerful.

Some of the people that I've met whose spirit animals are 'mythical' (mythical being different from 'doesn't exist') seem to suffer from an identity crisis due to this. If one cannot physically see the animal that they connect with, there can be a disconnect. "How do I behave? What's normal for my kind? Will I ever find anyone like me?" Studying mythology has helped me to become a bit less disconnected. I feel badly for those whose animals haven't had much written on them, though.