• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Other suggestions welcome/asked

Psyroucke

A member has suggested one path to look into, but I am curious based on my experiences what others might think might be what I am looking for:

The member suggested Umbanda because of whom I think to be some type of representation of Shango watching over me. This being appeared to me as a male thunderbird (like the Native American ones) in my dream before a court date. I believe it to be Shango for when googling what I saw matched me to the Shango Loa description.

However, I am also decent at Tarot (I wish to learn more on this, but there is only so much one can teach onesself) but I have yet to be wrong. I am drawn to dark, gothic cards. My deck is gothic vampires. Additionally while I was actively attending the Spiritualist church, I discovered that I am a Clairscent/Clairolfactory medium though this skill needs more practice and teaching which is where I am seeking for some type of mentorship thing. I can obtain information of people's families if present in the room with them, and know when there is a bad car accident before I am anywhere near one, but that is the extent right now. I also believe in the holisitic remedies and approaches to things, smells primarily for congestion and the like as well as reincarnation, spiritual growth of both humans and spirits, and energy healing.

So..anyone have any suggestions? I seek a community to learn from and grow my knowledge and to feel complete. Religion is what I feel is missing in my life, and I can only wander on my own for so long. Thanks!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This is just my opinion; but, I think if you wanted to structure all of your practices, there are some things you may need to change, disregard, or be trained to use in a different way you're used to. Other things is just what I know from conversation with people who practice Regla de Ocha. They have the different spirits (for lack of better words), one which is Shango. Loa, though, is from Vodoun.
The member suggested Umbanda because of whom I think to be some type of representation of Shango watching over me. This being appeared to me as a male thunderbird (like the Native American ones) in my dream before a court date. I believe it to be Shango for when googling what I saw matched me to the Shango Loa description.

I would speak to a Babalow or Santero to see if you are called to the Regla de Orcha. That, and you can ask him anything about your religious path that doesn't have to relate to African faiths. In my opinion, it's better than tarot readings.

Also, if is the Regla de Orcha (Lukumi) religion that you're connected to, I was told usually you get dreams and such from Orishas that reach out to you to become your "patron saint" or your head. However, you wouldn't know that Shango is your head until you have a formal reading and initiation into the faith.

I'd assume it's the same thing with Vodoun and most African faiths.

However, I am also decent at Tarot (I wish to learn more on this, but there is only so much one can teach onesself) but I have yet to be wrong. I am drawn to dark, gothic cards. My deck is gothic vampires.
I know in religions, they teach you the "proper" way to use divination methods according to their practices and rules. So, I'd keep that in mind since I don't think African religions have vampires in their faith. Though, I could be wrong. Just an educated guess.
Additionally while I was actively attending the Spiritualist church, I discovered that I am a Clairscent/Clairolfactory medium though this skill needs more practice and teaching which is where I am seeking for some type of mentorship thing. I can obtain information of people's families if present in the room with them, and know when there is a bad car accident before I am anywhere near one, but that is the extent right now. I also believe in the holisitic remedies and approaches to things, smells primarily for congestion and the like as well as reincarnation, spiritual growth of both humans and spirits, and energy healing.
Once you get a "go" if you are called to the Regla de Orcha (only African faith I know some about), and initiated, I was told your life is pretty much transcript for you. So when an Orisha has your head, you serve that Orisha, Creator, and Ancestors. Basically, they tell you what the goals Orishas have for you and things to be watchful for. And so on and so forth.

Does the Spiritualist Church have some structure in their belief system or practice as a congregation?

As for Vodoun, the only think I know about that is online. It's heavily ancestral and loa are not the same as Orishas, so maybe find which African faith you are pulled to or talk to someone about it in general.

Psyroucke

I can look for a Babalow or Santero, but I am not sure how successful I will be. Akin to this is what I was looking for in my area (Massachusetts) and nothing was really coming up that is recent. There is a Mambo (Vodoun) in Boston but I am about 2.5 to 3 hours from Boston depending on where I want to go within the city.

I also don't know if it IS Shango (see above haha, why I am looking for someone) in my head, or just a guess based on my research and just putting a name to whomever is watching over me. However, any practice that isn't Christian, Jewish or Spiritualist has been ridiculously hard to find, hence I decided to try online to see if anyone is in Massachusetts or knows of anyone.

When I was last attending a Spiritualist Church (circa 2011 or so), there were certain aspects (healers, pastors) that had structure, but there was not really a need to be called in. It welcomed everyone and after services were classes for different skills after brunch. At least of my favorite of the 3 churches I attended to find my fit, I hoped.

arthra

Baha'i
Religion is what I feel is missing in my life, and I can only wander on my own for so long. Thanks!

We all have gone through periods of seeking.. It's important we find truth and test it out.

"When the lamp of search, effort, longing, fervor, love, rapture, attraction and devotion is enkindled in the heart,

and the breeze of love blows forth from the direction of unity, the darkness of error, doubt and uncertainty will be dispelled and the lights of knowledge and assurance will encompass all the pillars of existence.

Then the ideal Herald will dawn as the true morn from the Divine City, with spiritual glad tidings, and awaken the heart, soul and spirit from the sleep of negligence with the trumpet of knowledge."

(Compilations, Baha'i Scriptures, p. 49)