• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Other Sacred Texts That Have Bizarre, Esoteric Symbolism

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Well, since you asked nicely. ;)

Well, there seems to be a perception (or at least with me or perhaps something that I heard before) that the esoteric and bizarre symbolic language that some of the Bible scriptures have is proof that a higher power (e.g. God) inspired the minds of the writers to be able to produce such writings. Therefore, from what I know, the Bible seems to have a monopoly on this and I wanted to know if other scared scriptures had this type of writings in them. Although, I have heard some people say that the bizarre nature of some of the Bible writings are a result of psychedelic mushrooms. :fearscream:
Thank you very much for the clear description

IF this bizarre symbolic language from the Bible is proof that a higher power inspired the minds of the writers to be able to produce such writings, then I am sure that it must be found also in the other Scriptures Granted by God

I have never thought about it in this specific way, that it proves God. So, I can't give you specific examples

But while reading various Scriptures: Bible, Koran, Yoga Vasistha, Bahaullah's writing, I did notice quite a few verses returning in those Scriptures, which confirmed to me, that these writers indeed were inspired by God. I have also noticed certain discrepancies, from which I concluded that not all writers interpreted visions differently. And that is understandable, because the power of non literal messages is, that they are useful for many people who are all on different levels on their Spiritual Path

One Scripture, the Yoga Vasistha, has so many bizarre stories, that I was thinking "oh my God, this is even a bit too much for me (and I usually love those stories)". So, yes there are other Scriptures which are full of bizarre stories with deep meanings. Definitely not only in the Bible. For me there is no doubt at all, that all these above Scriptures were inspired by visions Granted by a very high power(e.g. God as you said).

I have also heard some people say that such bizarre verse are a result of certain edibles from Mother Nature. But that is an area that easily violates one of the RF Rules, so I rather not say more about that, though it is an intriguing area, and one of the most renowned writers of Hindu Scriptures gave vary valuable information on this subject. India is not as squeemish about it as the West. That part I really like about the East, real Freedom of Religion can be found, without judgments...open to all the wonders of Mother nature.

I plan to read Yoga Vasistha again, and when I come across something you are looking for, I will let you know

Attachments

• clear.png
    clear.png
    137 bytes · Views: 0

David Davidovich

Thank you very much for the clear description

IF this bizarre symbolic language from the Bible is proof that a higher power inspired the minds of the writers to be able to produce such writings, then I am sure that it must be found also in the other Scriptures Granted by God

I have never thought about it in this specific way, that it proves God. So, I can't give you specific examples

Thank you for that, however, I was more looking for: that if other sacred texts had bizarre, symbolic-like language, then that might show that the Bible isn't unique in this regard and that such scriptures are common in other holy books.

But while reading various Scriptures: Bible, Koran, Yoga Vasistha, Bahaullah's writing, I did notice quite a few verses returning in those Scriptures, which confirmed to me, that these writers indeed were inspired by God.

What do you mean by "returning to those Scriptures"?

I have also noticed certain discrepancies, from which I concluded that not all writers interpreted visions differently. And that is understandable, because the power of non literal messages is, that they are useful for many people who are all on different levels on their Spiritual Path

I see. However, that seems like that could be confusing.

One Scripture, the Yoga Vasistha, has so many bizarre stories, that I was thinking "oh my God, this is even a bit too much for me (and I usually love those stories)". So, yes there are other Scriptures which are full of bizarre stories with deep meanings. Definitely not only in the Bible. For me there is no doubt at all, that all these above Scriptures were inspired by visions Granted by a very high power(e.g. God as you said).

But I was wondering if it could be because of something else. Because I had watched a video, which explained that the oracle of Delphi was able to give prophecies because of underground gases:

For at least 12 centuries, the oracle at Delphi spoke on behalf of the gods, advising rulers, citizens and philosophers on everything from their sex lives to affairs of state. The oracle was always a woman, her divine utterances made in response to a petitioner's request. In a trance, at times in a frenzy, she would answer questions, give orders and make prophecies.

Modern scholarship long ago dismissed as false the explanation that the ancient Greeks gave for the oracle's inspiration, vapors rising from the temple's floor. They found no underlying fissure or possible source of intoxicants. Experts concluded that the vapors were mythical, like much else about the site.

Now, however, a geologist, an archaeologist, a chemist and a toxicologist have teamed up to produce a wealth of evidence suggesting the ancients had it exactly right.
The region's underlying rocks turn out to be composed of oily limestone fractured by two hidden faults that cross exactly under the ruined temple, creating a path by which petrochemical fumes could rise to the surface to help induce visions.

click here: For Delphic Oracle, Fumes and Visions - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

I have also heard some people say that such bizarre verse are a result of certain edibles from Mother Nature. But that is an area that easily violates one of the RF Rules, so I rather not say more about that, though it is an intriguing area, and one of the most renowned writers of Hindu Scriptures gave vary valuable information on this subject. India is not as squeemish about it as the West. That part I really like about the East, real Freedom of Religion can be found, without judgments...open to all the wonders of Mother nature.

I plan to read Yoga Vasistha again, and when I come across something you are looking for, I will let you know

Okay. But what RF rule does that violate.

stvdv

Okay. But what RF rule does that violate.
What I meant was specific (see spoiler) the red part.

In Holland some ones are not criminal while they are criminal in USA. So, I am not allowed to talk (or share personal experiences, knowledge, wisdom) about those on RF (I got a warning once, I never make that mistake again) whereas in Holland we have no such restrictions (yet)
6. Illegal Activities
Advocating or discussing personal engagement in illegal activities or criminal organizations (such as hate groups or terrorist groups) is prohibited in all areas of RF. Illegal activities are defined based on United States law, and include but are not limited to: drug use, theft, piracy, vandalism, and all violent crimes. Voicing opposition to illegal activities and criminal organizations, or debating changes to current criminal law, may be acceptable at the discretion of the RF staff

stvdv

Thank you for that, however, I was more looking for: that if other sacred texts had bizarre, symbolic-like language, then that might show that the Bible isn't unique in this regard and that such scriptures are common in other holy books.
Aha, definitely the Bible is not unique. Plenty of bizarre symbolic-like language in some other Scriptures I read (Bible seems even mild compared to some of those)

stvdv

What do you mean by "returning to those Scriptures"?
Thank you, my mistake, a bit confusing or maybe even wrong English.

I said "returning in those Scriptures".

I meant "I have seen similar verses returning (as in turning up) appearing more than once in those Scriptures".

stvdv

I see. However, that seems like that could be confusing
Not confusing to me to know that this happens (God giving different answers to the same questions to different people or at different times).
But His answers to me personally, are sometimes confusing, but I keep bugging asking God, till all is perfectly clear (takes months sometimes, or even years...due to multi level interpretations...like in Zen Koans given by Zen Masters, all usable to sharpen my discrimination and dive deeper in my Self so to speak)

stvdv

But I was wondering if it could be because of something else. Because I had watched a video, which explained that the oracle of Delphi was able to give prophecies because of underground gases:

For at least 12 centuries, the oracle at Delphi spoke on behalf of the gods, advising rulers, citizens and philosophers on everything from their sex lives to affairs of state. The oracle was always a woman, her divine utterances made in response to a petitioner's request. In a trance, at times in a frenzy, she would answer questions, give orders and make prophecies.

Modern scholarship long ago dismissed as false the explanation that the ancient Greeks gave for the oracle's inspiration, vapors rising from the temple's floor. They found no underlying fissure or possible source of intoxicants. Experts concluded that the vapors were mythical, like much else about the site.

Now, however, a geologist, an archaeologist, a chemist and a toxicologist have teamed up to produce a wealth of evidence suggesting the ancients had it exactly right.
The region's underlying rocks turn out to be composed of oily limestone fractured by two hidden faults that cross exactly under the ruined temple, creating a path by which petrochemical fumes could rise to the surface to help induce visions.
click here: For Delphic Oracle, Fumes and Visions - The New York Times 6. Illegal Activities
Advocating or discussing personal engagement in illegal activities or criminal organizations (such as hate groups or terrorist groups) is prohibited in all areas of RF. Illegal activities are defined based on United States law, and include but are not limited to: drug use, theft, piracy, vandalism, and all violent crimes. Voicing opposition to illegal activities and criminal organizations, or debating changes to current criminal law, may be acceptable at the discretion of the RF staff]
Aha, now I think I understand

Well,

I know from personal experience that hearing "God's" (quoted means here it's my personal definition of God) voice is more real than hearing other people speak

I also know that certain gases can have effect, both positive and negative, depending on which gas, which environment, Spiritual (advanced) state of the person or Divine Will etc.etc., on what we hear, see, think, perceive and/or how we interpret it

These gases on their own prove nothing about the voice of God being "for real or not" in the case of the Oracle.

David Davidovich

What I meant was specific (see spoiler) the red part.

In Holland some ones are not criminal while they are criminal in USA. So, I am not allowed to talk (or share personal experiences, knowledge, wisdom) about those on RF (I got a warning once, I never make that mistake again) whereas in Holland we have no such restrictions (yet)
6. Illegal Activities
Advocating or discussing personal engagement in illegal activities or criminal organizations (such as hate groups or terrorist groups) is prohibited in all areas of RF. Illegal activities are defined based on United States law, and include but are not limited to: drug use, theft, piracy, vandalism, and all violent crimes. Voicing opposition to illegal activities and criminal organizations, or debating changes to current criminal law, may be acceptable at the discretion of the RF staff

Well, wouldn't your experience (that you would rather not share) prove that my hypothesis about visions, etc. is true?

David Davidovich

Aha, now I think I understand

Well,

I know from personal experience that hearing "God's" (quoted means here it's my personal definition of God) voice is more real than hearing other people speak

Well, to be honest with you... that is not something that me personally would want to admit on a public forum. ;)

Hamilton

Hello. Does anyone know if there are any other sacred texts besides the Bible that have bizarre, esoteric symbolisms in its writings such as the Bible's books of Ezekiel, Daniel, and Revelation?
Ofudesaki, Do-jeon, The Secret Doctrine, the Manichaean hymns and writings, Book of Mormon and several publications purporting to be the "lost 116 pages", several parts of Zoroastrian scriptures, Quran, Egyptian religious texts ("Book of Breathings", "Book of the Dead"), the writings of Joanna Southcott and her succesors, John Wroe ("Divine Communications"), possibly Popol Vuh andOahspe (I don't recall), a few "Messages" in "The Word of the Lord" (Elijah Message), so many tablets copied from Sumer and Canaan, etc.