• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Other Religions & Christianity

Antiochian

Rationalist
My spiritual journey is a long, tedious story. Extremely shortened form: I was once a committed member of a conservative church, believed everything it's leaders taught me, until discovering this jewel called "reason." I couldn't make sense of teachings such as eternal damnation, Christ as the only way to God, and a myriad of other beliefs. So, I left, and began practicing Wicca.

Over time, I've admitted to myself that I missed liturgy and sacraments, the sense of community, and have realized that some of Christ's core teachings remain dear to me, even while remaining unconvinced of his status as Messiah. So last summer I attended an Anglo-Catholic Episcopal church, and have been going there ever since. I may or may not formally join, but am a regular attendee and communicant.

That being said, I have never given up my belief in a Goddess, or renounced Wicca and Paganism. While some very real differences exist (each religion's view of afterlife, for instance), I feel I can practice Christianity, adhering to Christ's commandment to love each other, and be a Pagan and Goddess worshipper, too. (Perhaps "Goddess" is simply "God's" feminine side/energy, as in "Sophia." It seems a feminine side is needed to balance the traditional violent male God.)

Obviously, many Pagans and Christians are going to think I'm crazy. It seems even some liberal Christians retain the hubris that their religion (or monotheism, at least) is superior to others, containing the "fullest degree of truth." Yet, I know other Christians who merge their faith with beliefs or practices from other religions, whether Paganism, Buddhism, Native American religion, etc.

Any thoughts? What do you think of mixing other religions with Christianity?