• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Other Belief?

connermt

No one can prove the christian god exists. You believe based on your own personal experiences. Which is fine for you.

And we all know that belief requires no facts/data to support it. That said, is there anything else in life that you would believe in without having facts to support it?

Would you believe in kyrowaves come from certain kinds of concrete, thus you avoid all kinds of that concreate, without having any facts/data to support your belief?

Would you believe lions can fly at night because of the density of the cooler air without facts/data/to support it?

Basically: is there anything in life you can imagine that you would believe in, like you do the christian god, without testable facts/data to support it?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure the other RF posters are actual people somewhere, though there's always the possibility they're a clever, interactive, Artificial Intelligence program...:sarcastic

mycorrhiza

Aliens, additional spatial dimensions, multiverse, the big crunch, etc

Not saying that I believe in all of those, but they lack evidence but are still commonly believed in. I do believe in aliens and the big crunch (and a cyclic Universe). Not sure about additional spatial dimensions and I do not believe in multiverse.

Last edited:

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Well there is a difference between faith and fideism when it comes to belief. I have pointed this out before, I believe. You can believe in something like God without hard facts proving that it exists. We can use logic to fill in gaps. There are things I believe in that I cannot prove based on empirical evidence, things that we cannot test (at least currently). I came to those beliefs through evidence and logic we already have access to, such as quantum physics.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Basically: is there anything in life you can imagine that you would believe in, like you do the christian god, without testable facts/data to support it?

It's probably safe to say that the vast majority of us live the vast majority of our lives without demanding testable facts/data and statistics, even where they do in principle exist. If we did, we'd end up with routine absurdities like this:

Mr. Rockford: Oh, my dear wife, how I love you!
Mrs. Rockford: *looks cross* Do you now? When's the last time you told me how beautiful my dress was? Or the last time you bought me something nice? Where's your proof that you love me! You can't just say that without proving it to me! :faint:

Little Timmy: Daddy, I'm thirsty. Can I have a drink of water?
Daddy Robert: Open your mouth and say "aah."
Little Timmy: Aaah!
Daddy Robert: No, you're clearly not dehydrated. You're tongue is pink as can be. You can wait for a drink of water until we get home.
Little Timmy: BUT I'M REALLY SERIOUSLY THIRSTY! :banghead3

(or envision some even more elaborate and absurd factual test to determine if Timmy is actually thirsty or that Mr. Rockford actually loves Mrs. Rockford; we can't after all take their word for it!)

elmarna

Whenever "we believe" - it is that there are thoughts and feelings that surround this formula that you are willing to support because you see it as a good thing to do.
It never ceases to amaze me how diverse the "ways" of man develop and consider aspects in the mind and how they manage and maintain them.
I could never dissmiss the fact that it is, or is not real. Just that it is "realized."
I could not disrespect someone who calls to a concept and for whatever reason is so willing to support it is able to speak of it. It allows me to see a world of inspiration that moves them. To insist they are silent because I do not like it or agree -is to fail to let them express.
Many fine works of art come not from a reality, but thoughts and feelings that moved them.
Who am I to say the Christian God is to be questioned or ridiculed?
Has it not been proven that for the most part good things come from this line of thinking?
Why is it so important where it comes from or that it is not defined in the world of the concrete? It is in truth from the man who holds onto the belief and supports it through representation of the ideals he/she holds onto!
It is my belief that to question because we doubt will not prove to you a world you can accept. To question to understand is a world you are willing to realize!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
No one can prove the christian god exists. You believe based on your own personal experiences. Which is fine for you.

And we all know that belief requires no facts/data to support it. That said, is there anything else in life that you would believe in without having facts to support it?

Would you believe in kyrowaves come from certain kinds of concrete, thus you avoid all kinds of that concreate, without having any facts/data to support your belief?

Would you believe lions can fly at night because of the density of the cooler air without facts/data/to support it?

I believe the cosmos is a wondrous place, and that life and the human spirit are deeper than anyone can adequately fathom. I believe in the search for meaning and in the power of love.

It really doesn't have anything to do with concrete, or with believing in things that don't exist.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

Yeah. Space aliens, ghosts, etc.