• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OSIRIS-REx to touch down on 10/20/2020

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From US probe to touch down on asteroid Bennu on October 20

After a four-year journey, NASA's robotic spacecraft OSIRIS-REx will descend to asteroid Bennu's boulder-strewn surface on October 20, touching down for a few seconds to collect rock and dust samples, the agency said Thursday.

Scientists hope the mission will help deepen our understanding of how planets formed and life began and provide insight on asteroids that could impact Earth.

"Years of planning and hard work by this team are essentially coming down to putting the TAGSAM (Touch-And-Go Sample Acquisition Mechanism) into contact with the surface for just five to 10 seconds," said Mike Moreau, OSIRIS-REx deputy project manager. ...

... OSIRIS-REx is supposed to collect at least 2 ounces (57 grams) of Bennu's rocky material to bring back to Earth –- the largest sample return from space since the Apollo program.

It will deliver its payload to Earth on September 24, 2023​

This is remarkable on many levels, not the least being tthat September 24, 2023, is my 78th birthday. The excitement is building.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Wow, seems like just yesterday I was covering the launch! Very exciting news, thank you for sharing!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'll bet there will be a mutated virus in the sample. The Zombie apocalypse is on!

MNoBody

interesting GiF of Bennu
engineerspul.gif