• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Osama bin Laden is dead!

gnomon

I think a clean, cheap universal source of energy that the entire human population could access would reduce much conflict. It would not put an end to ethnco-centric strife though it could reduce it.

Of course, such a source seems like magic.

RitalinO.D.

Isn't it true that democrats have started more wars than republicans? Just asking out of curiosity...

4-3 in favor of the Republicans

WW1 - Woodrow Wilson - Demo
WW2 - Roosevelt - Demo (Although dunno if you can really count this one, considering we were dragged into the war by Japan. Who knows if we would have entered had it not been for Pearl Harbor.)
Korean War - Harry Truman - Demo
Vietnam - Dwight D. Eisenhower - Rep
Desert Storm - H. W. Bush - Rep (although barely a war)
Iraqi Freedom - W. Bush - Rep
Enduring Freedom - W. Bush - Rep

:shrug:

RitalinO.D.

I still don't understand dumping the whole body thing. Just thinking back on American history notorious criminals were often exhibited in state as proof. You think someone of this notorious caliber wouldn't have been what.......kicked out of a helicopter over the ocean? Not sure exactly how the body was disposed of.

It was buried at sea to keep within "Muslim guidelines" that a body be buried within a day of dying. Why at sea instead of in the ground is beyond me.

Problem is, even with pictures or videos, and DNA confirmation, people will still create conspiracy theories...Pics can be photoshopped, video can be altered, DNA can be faked (this one especially considering supposedly the Saudi Gov't had some of Bin Ladens blood)

Marble

Rolling Marble
I think a clean, cheap universal source of energy that the entire human population could access would reduce much conflict. It would not put an end to ethnco-centric strife though it could reduce it.

Of course, such a source seems like magic.
You do not really believe that those in power ever would allow the entire human population free access to such a source of energy? :no:
Not before finding a way to let the middle class & the poor pay laaarge sums of money for it... :(

A

angellous_evangellous

It was buried at sea to keep within "Muslim guidelines" that a body be buried within a day of dying. Why at sea instead of in the ground is beyond me.

So no one could desecrate the grave.

RitalinO.D.

It's called wind power. Several European countries are already ahead of the curve there. Holland derives 25% of its power from wind. Germany is close behind.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The problem with wind and solar is that it is not a constant supply which is needed to keep the grid up and running.

It will always be a supplement supply not the primary supply unless you can tolerate constant power interruptions.

Actually life styles are in need of a change more than technology. We as a group of people are too wasteful.

If you went to sleep after dark and did not crave constant conditioned air, you could shorten your daily commute and wash clothes on sunny or windy days.

We are such a wasteful society. We flush our toilets with treated fluoride water. Some of us bathe two or three times a day and use several clean towel each time.

We would not even need alternative energy if we learned how to conserve.

Everything is too big, from our homes and cars to our TV sets.

Too many people don't recycle. Energy is not the problem, people are.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I think this killing of Bin Laden makes the US look weak.
First it took so long to get him, then when they do he is killed quietly and his body dumped in the dark.
That just does not look like the behaviour of a strong, confident government. It looks like something from the Sopranoes.
A strong country would have arrested him, tried him and if it wanted him dead executed him in a public manner.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
First it took so long to get him, then when they do he is killed quietly and his body dumped in the dark.
That just does not look like the behaviour of a strong, confident government. It looks like something from the Sopranoes.
A strong country would have arrested him, tried him and if it wanted him dead executed him in a public manner.

That was never going to happen Stephen. Osama gave orders for his own men to kill him if capture was eminent.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
WW2 - Roosevelt - Demo (Although dunno if you can really count this one, considering we were dragged into the war by Japan. Who knows if we would have entered had it not been for Pearl Harbor.)
Roosevelt OK'd the embargo against Japan, which arguably precipitated the Pearl Harbor attack.
Still, as you say, we'd likely have been drawn into the war.

kai

ragamuffin

I think it makes the US look relentless.

I dont think he would have given up i think he fought to the death rather than be put on display and killed on pay per view.

I wouldn't want to waste any public money protecting his grave 24/7 what a spit in the face that would be?

An ignominious end ! kind of fitting in my book.

As for how long it took to get him? well how easy is it to find something right next to you when its in the pocket of a so called friend all along.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

The Special forces of all major countries eliminate many leaders of factions around the world. It is never given any publicity. Politically Osama had to be shown to be dead.
A trial would have given him free publicity for years, and holding him would have put thousands in danger.
We will now have the opportunity to pick off those extremists, who come out of the woodwork to take revenge.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Get over it. The guy was not worse than any other politician round the corner. To call him 'evil' makes little sense, unless of course we call every politician evil.

Do you excuse Osama's actions based on the above statement?

Do you excuse Bush's actions? Would you celebrate if someone were to assassinate him?

You did not answer my question.

But to answer yours, no, I hold Bush fully responsible for mishandling the war in Afghanistan, and for starting an unnecessary way in Iraq.
Would I celebrate his assassination? No, but I would support a complete investigation into his actions, and a trial if evidence was found of war crimes.

Now, back to my question.

Do you excuse Osama's actions based on your "not worse than any other politician" statement?

Do you celebrate OBL's killing, then?

Really Chisti, I took the time to answer your questions.
When will you answer mine?

Last edited:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
The Special forces of all major countries eliminate many leaders of factions around the world. It is never given any publicity. Politically Osama had to be shown to be dead.
A trial would have given him free publicity for years, and holding him would have put thousands in danger.
We will now have the opportunity to pick off those extremists, who come out of the woodwork to take revenge.

I think the world would be a lesser place if the Nuremburg Trials had never happened.
Following the logic you express above Terry wouldn't all the Nazi leaders have been taken to the woods and shot?
Seems more Stalin than Churchill to me.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I think it makes the US look relentless.

I dont think he would have given up i think he fought to the death rather than be put on display and killed on pay per view.

I wouldn't want to waste any public money protecting his grave 24/7 what a spit in the face that would be?

An ignominious end ! kind of fitting in my book.

As for how long it took to get him? well how easy is it to find something right next to you when its in the pocket of a so called friend all along.

Hi Kai,
Might I offer the same point re Nuremberg to you?

A

angellous_evangellous

I think the world would be a lesser place if the Nuremburg Trials had never happened.
Following the logic you express above Terry wouldn't all the Nazi leaders have been taken to the woods and shot?
Seems more Stalin than Churchill to me.

I agree.

But we killed a whole lot of Nazis, too.