• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Osama bin Laden is dead!

RitalinO.D.

They drop bombs, start illegal wars under false pretexts, kill civilians (and conveniently brush it aside as collateral damage). Yeah, you're right, they're so different from terrorists.:facepalm:

There's those crazy generalizations again...some people just can't let them go.

If you want to point the warmongering finger at someone, point it at specific republicans, not every single politician.

esmith

Veteran Member
From what I glean from the news:

1. Information leading to finding the location was obtained from detainees in Guantanamo. This was the nom-de-guerre of Osama's most trusted courier.
2. Intelligence organizations research finally traced this nom-de-guerre to a person
3. Tracked this person to house (read fortress) 100 yrds from a Pakistan army base located in an area where top military officers were living. House was built around 2005
4. Osama was determined to be "at home".
5. Decision was reached to go with SEAL assault vice bombing to insure the critter "got it"
6. President Obama gives "go" for the operaation
7. Osama burried at sea after DNA sample taken. It appears this operation occurred over a week ago since it takes time to confirm DNA (not TV CSI)

So it appears that the major factor in this operation succeeding was probably "enhanced interrogation" of Gitmo detainees. Combined effort of CIA, NSA,and other intelligence agencies. Plus a assault by Navy SEAL's against a fortified well guarded compound. Read Gitmo detainees and enhanced interrogation and CIA. Didn't President Obama have a negative outlook on these. I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve some credit, just that he will get considerably more (as any President does) for action taken by others.

no-body

Not a good or bad thing just something that had to be done, I'm amazed he was still alive.

Seeing the American reaction to this however is pretty sad. The way America attaches so much self importance to their own tragedies and are absolutely blind to the rest of the world is as sickening as the Muslim worlds reaction when they where cheering for the towers coming down.

A

angellous_evangellous

If you want to point the warmongering finger at someone, point it at specific republicans, not every single politician.

.... be sure to blame the collapse of the economy on them, too!

Chisti

Isn't it true that democrats have started more wars than republicans? Just asking out of curiosity...

A

angellous_evangellous

Not a good or bad thing just something that had to be done, I'm amazed he was still alive.

Seeing the American reaction to this however is pretty sad. The way America attaches so much self importance to their own tragedies and are absolutely blind to the rest of the world is as sickening as the Muslim worlds reaction when they where cheering for the towers coming down.

I thought about that, too.

But the Muslim reaction involved thousands more people dancing in the street, etc.

In Washington, DC, there were about 200 young people celebrating, which is hardly comparable.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Hamas are upset at the loss of one of their own:

02-05-2011,14:55

Al Qassam website- Gaza- The Palestinian Prime Minister in the Gaza government Ismail Haniya denounced on Monday, May 2nd, 2011, the assassination of the Al Qeda spiritual leader Sheikh Osama Bin Laden by the US special forces in the Pakistani city of Abbottabad.
Haniya said during a meeting with reporters and international journalists in his office in Gaza city on Monday afternoon " If these news are true, then this means that its part of the American policy based on the oppression and bloodshed in the Muslim and Arab world.
In his speech for the reporters Haniya mourned Sheikh Osama Bin Laden as an Arab holy worrior.

Haniya expressed his strong condemnation for the killing or assassination of any human or Muslim Mujahed, praying for mercy and acceptance of Bin Laden.

In another context, Haniya said that the delegation of the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas), went to Cairo, carrying in his possession the names of candidates of the next government and its ministers.

Chisti

I thought about that, too.

But the Muslim reaction involved thousands more people dancing in the street, etc.

In Washington, DC, there were about 200 young people celebrating, which is hardly comparable.

Muslims had witnessed vast destruction to their homes and loved ones, thanks to American and Israeli intervention. So their reaction is understandable, if not justifiable. American reaction is plain silly, it's like a bully 'celebrating' his victory over a far weaker opponent and feeling good about himself.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Even though everyone probably already knows of this. ;)
I know I am not all that excited that Osama bin Hidin' has been killed ... finally, because the beast will just grow another head. It doesn't really matter who leads this demented group of followers. Look at it this way, now Al-Qaeda has another martyr to glorify.

gnomon

Hamas may be sad but I bet many members of the Muslim faith are happy he is gone. While the media has always focused on, obviously, bin Laden and the terrorist attacks on 9/11 his history with al-Qaeda is full of sectarian violence. His terrorist organization, while presented to the West as fighting against Israel and the US for the ummah, is a Sunni organization that had no problem targeting Muslims in their quest to............honestly after reading the history of the development of this group you think some people just act out of fanaticism. If the US had packed it's bags and left the Middle East completely in 1992 al-Qaeda would still exist blowing the hell out of innocent Muslims.

gnomon

Muslims had witnessed vast destruction to their homes and loved ones, thanks to American and Israeli intervention. So their reaction is understandable, if not justifiable. American reaction is plain silly, it's like a bully 'celebrating' his victory over a far weaker opponent and feeling good about himself.

That's fine to think that way if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The question I have is, when is this going to stop? People who died in the twin towers had no control of what their country did or did not do. Too many innocent people where killed by the hands of Americans as well.

The hate has to stop. The sad thing is, I know both sides will continue to fight and more innocents will suffer because of it.

I fear retribution, and I know if this does occur, we will make things even worse.

The thing is, we are all human and it is normal to want to avenge the deaths of our countrymen.

I am not saying anyone holds the moral high ground here. Too many people have suffered on both sides and hate has been the motivator.

Many people around the world hate Americans and some of the hate is justified. The thing is, we will hate you back and make you suffer for it.

One day, a whole U.S.A. city may be destroyed. I see the problem getting worse.

Both sides feel the same way. Both sides have suffered too much already.

America cannot witch hunt the Islamic world for every last terrorist. If we killed them all, new ones would be created by that action alone.

The more America does, the more problems we create. The thing is, if we stopped, we would still be hated and the attacks would not stop.

From where I sit, there is no solution. Just more hate and suffering on both sides.

Amill

Apikoros
They said he didn't have any phone or internet lines to the compound, sounds like all he was doing was receiving plans from the couriers then giving the go ahead to go through with them. He wasn't doing much so it really doesn't change anything. Not sure how morale will be affected within Al-Qaeda but our troops will probably get a lift. How much longer do we have to be in Afghanistan?

When did we originally get a DNA sample from Osama to match this sample to? News is now saying DNA analysis confirms it was him.