• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orthodox Christians only: EP can recognize UOC-KP. G.Soros involved. Is it OK??

Dan Bodnar

My Ukrainian friend recently wrote a post in the one of the Ukrainian-Canadian groups in Facebook. It is worth discussing IMO. Here is it:

Can the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kiev Patriarchate (UOC KP) be recognized as canonical? And what is the price to pay?

For 23 years the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kyivan Patriarchat has been trying to achieve the recognition and to consolidate the Ukrainan believers. Finally, in September the Convocation of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople gave the hope for soon resolution of this issue.
During the meeting, the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew discussed with Metropolitan Anthony (Szczerba) and Yuri (Kalischuk), Bishops Daniel (Zelinsky), Hilarion (Rudyk) and Andrew (Peshko) the position of Orthodoxy in Ukraine and clearly indicated that the division can be overcome only under the patronage and mediation of Constantinople.

Besides, American billionaire and philanthropist G.Soros met the head of information division and the permanent member of the Holy Synod of the UOC KP Eustratius (Zorya) during his visit to Kiev. Many users of social networks and forums assumed that the subject of their conversation could be the attitude to LGBTI in Ukraine. It was noted that Mr. Soros could suggest assistance in obtaining the canonical status of the UOC KP in a response to mitigation of the church's position regarding sexual minorities and legal protection of their rights. Indeed, archbishop Eustratius hadn't spoken a word about the "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" as legal concepts since the meeting till assumptions became viral!

Moreover, some Ukrainian Orthodox Christians have apprehension of Eustratius Zorya's possible appointment as Kiev Patriarch instead of Filaret. And the validity of these concerns was confirmed by the fact that the meeting with the representative of the UOC KP was appointed by Soros not by chance, but on the recommendation of Constantinople Patriarchate Metropolitan of Prussia (Constantinople Patriarchate) Elpidofor Lambriniadis. This is the reason why I appeal to all believers with the question: can the church which hierarchs are ready to bargain on the commandments be canonically recognized?

CT8RfSpXIAAfYMv.jpg

The excerpt from the Soros's schedule for his visit to Kiev

Me as a parishioner of the UOC KP concerns that the cost of making my church under the jurisdiction of the Patriarchate of Constantinople may be accommodation to the spread of ungodly way of life and the destruction of the traditional values of our society. Where is the good of such the canonicity if Constantinople Patriarch or his clerics go with the sponsors of sodomist communities?
_______

As a parishioner of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada I am concerned too. What do authoroties of Ukrainian Orthodox Churches of the USA and of Canada think about these semblable underhand dealings? Are we OK with having pro-LGBTI church among us in the Constantinople Patriarchate? What primacy of power or even a special place of honor can we speak about in this case?

Being schismatic, UOC KP can accommodate the spread of whatever ungodly way of life and even embrace it. But there are no doubts that canonical church can't afford that!

And what are your thoughts on this issue?

Tamar78LA

I'm certainly no expert on these matters, but it seems to me that politics plays too large a role in such decisions. It's doubtful for me whether it can help to save anybody's soul. Moreover, a church can't be canonically recognized just at the someone's discretion cause it must maintain the same dogmatic confession as I know...