• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orthodox and Catholics Have Common Duty, Says Pope

Scott1

v.gif
ATICAN CITY, MAY 24, 2005 (Zenit) - Benedict XVI says that Orthodox and Catholics have a common duty "to build together a more free, peaceful and solidaristic humanity."

The Pope proposed this today when receiving in audience President Georgi Parvanov of Bulgaria, a country he described as "one of the bridges between West and East."

The Holy Father received his guest, greeting him cordially in Italian. After a 10-minute private meeting in the Apostolic Palace, the Pope delivered an address in French in which he recalled Sts. Cyril and Methodius, co-patrons of Europe, and the contribution they made to Bulgarian spirituality.

With the visit, the Bulgarian president, who was accompanied by his wife and entourage, was celebrating the Orthodox liturgical feast of the two saints from Salonika, Greece, evangelizers of the Slav peoples.

After asking the president to greet Patriarch Maxime of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church on his behalf, Benedict XVI said that Orthodox and Catholics "have before us a common duty: We are called to build together a more free, peaceful and solidaristic humanity."

"In this perspective, I would like to express the fervent desire that your nation will be able to promote continually in Europe the cultural and spiritual values that constitute its identity," said the Pope.

Benedict XVI emphasized the good relations that Bulgaria has had with the Holy See since the collapse of communism. Pope John Paul II visited the country three years ago, and Bulgarian leaders participated in the mourning when he died. They also joined in the Mass inaugurating the pontificate of Benedict XVI.

Some estimates say 82% of Bulgaria's 7.5 million inhabitants are Orthodox; 12.2% are Muslim, 1.7% Catholic, 0.1% Jewish, while 3.4% is made up of other Christian confessions.

www.catholic.org

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Scott,

Do you know what the Pope means by this? It sounds to me as though he's advocating some sort of political role for our churches which, from our perspective, is quite wrong. I'm well aware, though, that he is not a supporter of 'liberation theology' and the like, so I hope I'm misinterpreting his comments. If he means that Orthodox and RCs should work together to promote our common moral values, I totally agree, but if he means that the two churches should interfere directly in politics I disagree completely.

James

Scott1

James,

How can the church "interfere" directly in politics.... what's the difference between that and working together to promote our common moral values?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
SOGFPP said:
James,

How can the church "interfere" directly in politics.... what's the difference between that and working together to promote our common moral values?
What I mean is, the Church should support those people in public life whose actions are consonant with Christian morality, protest those that aren't, and discipline those members who go against the Church's teachings (unfortunately, from my point if view, the Roman Catholic church seems much better at the latter than we are, which is disgraceful on the part of our bishops). This is, however, as far as She should go into politics. We shouldn't be coming up with manifestos, political policies, abominable ideas like 'liberation theology' etc. I realise that the distinction I'm making is a pretty fine one, but I do believe there is a line there that shouldn't be crossed. The life of the Church is centred on the salvation of individuals and we should be looking to the Kingdom of Heaven, not trying to create some utopian society in the here and now. Fallen human nature being what it is, all such attempts would be doomed to failure in any case.

James

Scott1

IacobPersul said:
What I mean is, the Church should support those people in public life whose actions are consonant with Christian morality, protest those that aren't, and discipline those members who go against the Church's teachings (unfortunately, from my point if view, the Roman Catholic church seems much better at the latter than we are, which is disgraceful on the part of our bishops).
I agree.... on both points.;)
We shouldn't be coming up with manifestos, political policies, abominable ideas like 'liberation theology' etc.
Well.... we are in this world (not of this world) as Catholics. For the Church to just preach the Gospel and pass out the Eucharist while "Rome burns" (so to speak) would be irresponsible.

I believe the Church should be a gathering of people with the explicit intention to survey and critically discuss our personal and social responsibilities in the light of moral convictions and the truth of the Gospel. Christianity is (and always has been) more than just the Good News.... the Sacred Scriptures and the writings of the ECF's are filled with teaching/instructions about living in the world... living a "Christ-filled" life in the face of a sinful world.... always with charity, but lived with a conviction the Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.

I don't believe that any Catholic is attempting to create a theocracy or utopian society.... but we are called to evangelize the world, and that means living in the world and dealing directly with moral and social issues that influence the people of the world.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
SOGFPP said:
I agree.... on both points.;)
Well.... we are in this world (not of this world) as Catholics. For the Church to just preach the Gospel and pass out the Eucharist while "Rome burns" (so to speak) would be irresponsible.

I believe the Church should be a gathering of people with the explicit intention to survey and critically discuss our personal and social responsibilities in the light of moral convictions and the truth of the Gospel. Christianity is (and always has been) more than just the Good News.... the Sacred Scriptures and the writings of the ECF's are filled with teaching/instructions about living in the world... living a "Christ-filled" life in the face of a sinful world.... always with charity, but lived with a conviction the Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.

I don't believe that any Catholic is attempting to create a theocracy or utopian society.... but we are called to evangelize the world, and that means living in the world and dealing directly with moral and social issues that influence the people of the world.
It seems as though we agree on all points, then (including the disgraceful laxity of some Orthodox bishops - but hey, they're all just human and as fallible as the rest of us). I was just a little worried by the article quoted because I couldn't quite make out whether he was agreeing with my stance on the Church's role in society or going with a more liberation theology style, and overtly political, idea of reshaping society (as opposed to individuals in society). In hindsight, I guess I wouldn't have been concerned if I'd read similar words from an Orthodox heirarch, so I suppose it's just my wariness with regards to the history of some sections of the RC church (especially Latin American ones) that I allowed to colour my judgement here. Sorry.

James

Scott1

IacobPersul said:
In hindsight, I guess I wouldn't have been concerned if I'd read similar words from an Orthodox heirarch, so I suppose it's just my wariness with regards to the history of some sections of the RC church (especially Latin American ones) that I allowed to colour my judgement here.
No problem, James.... the Latin American liberation theology, with it's influence creeping to all parts of the continent, is a great cause for alarm.... I understand that it is born out of the poverty and hardship of the areas in the region, but it's hard to be sympathetic with how far it has strayed from the Catholic faith.

Scott