• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orionid meteor shower

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Coming soon to a sky near you. The annual spectacular is just beginning and will reach its peak on 21st or 22nd October.

The best view is around a few hours before dawn away from light pollution. Unfortunately this year the moon will be close to full at the peak time which will interfere with viewing, not too much.You won't need a telescope, meteors are visible to the naked eye.

download (4).jpeg

Altfish

Veteran Member
We need a major improvement in the weather, can't even see the moon some nights at the moment

ChristineM

Premium Member
We need a major improvement in the weather, can't even see the moon some nights at the moment

Been there, done that. I didnt see the milky way until i moved to france?

But i have, on occasion, sat in my garden on the rare clear nights in good old blighty and watched the sky. Its important to have a warm coat, gloves, scarf, hat and plentiful supply of hot coffee

Altfish

Veteran Member

But i have, on occasion, sat in my garden on the rare clear nights in good old blighty and watched the sky. Its important to have a warm coat, gloves, scarf, hat and plentiful supply of hot coffee
We were in the Isle of Man last month and went to an event called Pie in the Sky on the top of Snaefell.
It started with a tram journey to the top; then pie, mash and peas; then apple pie and custard,
Then out side to look at the planets and stars - we say Jupiter, we could even see the rings on Saturn and the Andromeda Galaxy - brilliant

ChristineM

Premium Member
We were in the Isle of Man last month and went to an event called Pie in the Sky on the top of Snaefell.
It started with a tram journey to the top; then pie, mash and peas; then apple pie and custard,
Then out side to look at the planets and stars - we say Jupiter, we could even see the rings on Saturn and the Andromeda Galaxy - brilliant

Sounds really good

Heyo

Veteran Member

I'm not such a hardcore star gazer. I like the Perseïds much better. Warm August nights and usually better weather.

dianaiad

I'm not such a hardcore star gazer. I like the Perseïds much better. Warm August nights and usually better weather.

Ah....I live really close to Edwards Air Force Base....unfortunately, I also share the area with about half a million people. The light pollution is really miserable.

On the OTHER hand, we can go out to the desert....perhaps half an hour to 45 minutes away, and see a lot. What's really neat is that my very favorite sewing store (actually, Al's Vac N Sew...whose owner is named Matt, not Al...) is also the best place to buy, and RENT, telescopes. Really powerful ones, for amateurs. I can go in, buy thread, fabric, get my quilt quilted, get my vacuum fixed AND arrange for an astronomy night all at the same time.

(grin)

Of course I can. What would you expect from a town that has portraits of all the astronauts decorating the main street? (well, them and Pancho Barnes, but that's a whole 'nuther story)