• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Origins of the Quran

A more valid charge as Judaism does not acknowledge previous releigions as being the source of some tales.

I know you are not really advocating it and I agree with the previous points you have been making, but I'm not sure any charges of 'plagiarism' are particularly valid when it comes to folk tales and cultural history.

Treating culture and society as being analogous to an academic essay serves no real purpose other than being antagonistic and really oversimplifies the concept of 'ownership', particularly in the ancient world.

HELLO!!

islam claims this ALL comes from Gabriel to muhammad to text.

You also like saying Christians plagiarised the Jews, but the early Christians were Jews. This was simply one more evolution in the chain of beliefs to go with countless others dating back to before Judaism even existed.

Before becoming Muslims, many of the Arabs were Christians and Jews, it was just another evolution in the chain of beliefs. How long it took for them to become specifically Muslims is highly debatable from an academic perspective

The audience of the Quran fully well knew who Moses and Noah were. Much of the Quran is a (supposedly) 'divinely inspired' commentary on Christianity, it isn't a simple copying of the Bible. These were stories and ideas that had common ownership in the late antique Middle East, thinking of them as similar to academic ideas from a textbook is just a simplistic distortion.

Many people used to claim divine inspiration for their theological ideas, but given that the existing corpus of ideas is acknowledged, that the audience is aware of them and that they to some extent already claim ownership of them, then it is simply wrong to call it plagiarism.