• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Origins of god/gods

Prometheus85

Instead of your constant ad hominem attack on me "lunkhead", "little brain" and as in other threads "dishonest". Why dont you just give a straight answer?

I dont want a break down (aka, a rehash wording of what you already believe) i want you to answer my question.

Here it is again.

Do all humans find belief in an afterlife comforting?

Why are you so hesitant to answer this simple question? Whats the deal here?

You changed your original question which was this
Can ANY humans according to YOU believe the soul survives death but there reason NOT be for comfort?

To this. Do all human beings find belief in a afterlife comforting.

Which leads me to believe not only are u being illogical and absurd, but you just really don’t have any idea what your talking about.

I’m still waiting on the proof of MILLIONS of near death experiences.

You changed your original question which was this
Can ANY humans according to YOU believe the soul survives death but there reason NOT be for comfort?

To this. Do all human beings find belief in a afterlife comforting.

Which leads me to believe not only are u being illogical and absurd, but you just really don’t have any idea what your talking about.

I’m still waiting on the proof of MILLIONS of near death experiences.

Dude, you got to be kidding me!

Its the SAME QUESTION!

Whats your deal?

Why the issue of answering it?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
You say your a thiest, but don’t believe god truly loves us and if anything made our lives dismal.

So that would make u a
Nay-Theist
HAHAHA :D you tickled my funny bone today, you need a point for that ;).

Your not a atheist or agnostic you seem to be aware of the existence of the gods (or god) you just refuse to worship them, or to "believe" in them in any strong Spiritual sense beyond merely acknowledging the fact of their existence.

I do not know where you get that impression because I do worship the gods with great adherence to the world they have given me. I feel it is my duty to show utmost reverence to them.

Perhaps you have some personal grudge against the gods for something they did? You did say god or the gods don’t truly love us and made our lives dismal.

No grudge, I just don't have any evidence they have morals or even a concept of morals. I am sure that some can express morality that indeed morals may be apart of some gods working but other than that I do not even think moral aptitude has anything to do with a god simply.

Or is it because god or the gods don’t measure up to YOUR moral standards; perhaps your just the independent type by nature; or perhaps you simply think (or knows) there is always a bigger fish, making the search for an "all powerful" creator a pointless venture.

I ensure than my morals are isolated from societal impressions, universal and pragmatic in their existence and application. Gods have no bearing on morals yet alone mine although principles is another issue as there are things I will not do out of respect for a particular god but unlike many theists I would not make them a moral issue.

Indeed I do not believe there is an all powerful god and I have no reason to think such a thing exist but I do believe there are many gods. I do not think there is a set number to the existence of gods and that if anything they are as vast as the atoms in out body. But like anything with such great diversity we get drawn to and separated from them in an infinite amount of ways.
Or maybe it just
Alatrism?
IDK you be the judge

I am definitely not alatristic in my outlook and worship the gods fervently

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
The soul is an important aspect of much religious belief—particularly when concerning the afterlife. The idea of an afterlife is often offered to believers as a comforting answer to fears of death.

That doesn't mean that's all there is to it. The soul being an important aspect also doesn't mean it is necessarily comforting. I, like some others in this thread- wonder why you won't address afterlife when it is not a comforting prospect.

Prometheus85

Dude, you got to be kidding me!

Its the SAME QUESTION!

Whats your deal?

Why the issue of answering it?

Ok to answer your question. Do all human beings find belief in an afterlife comforting.

Humans and other animals fundamentally fear death; it helps keep us alive long enough to produce. The idea of simply not existing any longer is also quite upsetting for most people. An afterlife offers hope of again seeing those who have died and a promise of an escape from death and non-existence. In many religions, the idea of an afterlife, especially where it is associated with punishment and reward, is a handy explanation for why we have to suffer in this life.

So do all human beings find belief in afterlife comforting? I can’t speak for all humans. But I would guess that the ones that believe In a afterlife find it comforting.

Prometheus85

That doesn't mean that's all there is to it. The soul being an important aspect also doesn't mean it is necessarily comforting. I, like some others in this thread- wonder why you won't address afterlife when it is not a comforting prospect.

Oh i see. You wanna, set it up as a black-and-white dichotomy (e.g., heaven vs. hell) which opens up thorny problems about who goes where in borderline cases and regarding what happens to good nonbelievers or bad believers.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
No I want you to understand you made a bad case for what you are trying to prove, and I think you wanted to go after religious people. Your OP is very unphilosophical, which means you haven't thought this out very far.

Prometheus85

No I want you to understand you made a bad case for what you are trying to prove, and I think you wanted to go after religious people. Your OP is very unphilosophical, which means you haven't thought this out very far.

Go after religious people?

What do I have to gain by doing that?

Ok to answer your question. Do all human beings find belief in an afterlife comforting.

Humans and other animals fundamentally fear death; it helps keep us alive long enough to produce. The idea of simply not existing any longer is also quite upsetting for most people. An afterlife offers hope of again seeing those who have died and a promise of an escape from death and non-existence. In many religions, the idea of an afterlife, especially where it is associated with punishment and reward, is a handy explanation for why we have to suffer in this life.

So do all human beings find belief in afterlife comforting? I can’t speak for all humans. But I would guess that the ones that believe I’m a afterlife find it comforting.

Well you "guessed" wrong. Because not all humans that believe in an afterlife find it comforting.

Why do you even need to guess when someone on here even told you his religion was not comforting.

Also the issues of hell and punishment in the afterlife wer brought up. Those arent comforting. So saying you "guess" that the ones that believe in an afterlife, all them have NO other reason to believe other then a comfort motive, frankly IGNORES the points that have been presented to you.

Why do you dodge or ignore those points?

And its odd, because from one side of your mouth you say you dont speak for all humans, then on the other side you say you gauss the ones that believe do so for comfort, while ignoring the issues that have been given to you.

So which is it, you speak for all, or you dont?

Last edited:

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Go after religious people?

What do I have to gain by doing that?

I'll let you tell me, since your OP was a very juvenile and poorly constructed criticism of religion. You didn't even go into any details besides people are afraid to die, which as I stated: non-believers in an afterlife have far more reason not to fear.

Prometheus85

I'll let you tell me, since your OP was a very juvenile and poorly constructed criticism of religion.

Why do u assume it’s a criticism of religion?

I already said I’m not dismissing religion. But rather presents religious belief as an inevitable outcome of brain evolution.

Prometheus85

I'll let you tell me, since your OP was a very juvenile and poorly constructed criticism of religion. You didn't even go into any details besides people are afraid to die, which as I stated: non-believers in an afterlife have far more reason not to fear.

It appears your the one that has constructed a poor criticism of me

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I already said I’m not dismissing religion. But rather presents religious belief as an inevitable outcome of brain evolution.

How can religious belief be proven as an outcome of brain evolution? I criticized your criticism of religion. I'm not saying you dismiss it.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Using data ranging from ancient skulls and artifacts to brain imaging, primatology, and child development studies, all of that traces how new cognitive abilities gave rise to new behaviors.

Yes thank you, and I will have a look at some of this information. I wonder how materialists would verify though that this process couldn't come from an outside influence? Could they verify that?

Prometheus85

Well you "guessed" wrong. Because not all humans that believe in an afterlife find it comforting.

Why do you even need to guess when someone on here even told you his religion was not comforting.

Also the issues of hell and punishment in the afterlife wer brought up. Those arent comforting. So saying you "guess" that the ones that believe in an afterlife, all them have NO other reason to believe other then a comfort motive, frankly IGNORES the points that have been presented to you.

Why do you dodge or ignore those points?

And its odd, because from one side of your mouth you say you dont speak for all humans, then on the other side you say you gauss the ones that believe do so for comfort, while ignoring the issues that have been given to you.

So which is it, you speak for all, or you dont?

I guessed wrong? Not all humans that believe in an afterlife find it comforting? You do now the afterlife is very popular right? And there’s many views on it not just the heaven and hell concept you gave above lunkhead?

The concept of an afterlife is widespread throughout most human religions. One of the important purposes of religious belief is to give explanations of, and reassurances about, the world.

You bring up hell and punishment. That’s the Steroetypical Christain notion. There is heaven for the good and righteous and hell for the evil and homosexuals. Heaven is often peaceful and blissful, hell a place for endless torture and torment. The fear of hell is probably a stronger motivator than the promise of heaven at God’s side.

The traditional view in Judaism is that all people remain as disembodied souls until the Messiah comes and raises the dead. Like most religions, however, many many many
other views exist.

For most Hindus, Buddhist, and sheiks, it is generally a recurring cycle of death and rebirth, and not always as a human. You can come back as a god, a demon, or be reborn into any number of other realms. These realms are refffed to as hell’s I believe.

Muslims (males) believe you go to paradise ( were they are presented with scandally clad women)

As I said before, Like most religions, however, many other views exist on were you spend your afterlife.

Of course, not everyone believes in any kind of afterlife. Atheist largely assume that when you're dead, it's over - so live while you can. That’s my motto.

So I’m not ignoring anything. You are tho. Because no matter how many times I answer your question u just ask again albeit it in a different way. And you brought up and others brought up the Christian concept of the after life as if that’s the only concept of an afterlife. Effectively ignoring the many other views that exist.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Its complicated. In a general sense, yes, you are correct in your assesement of me. However, lets say a demon appeared to a primitive human and called himself God, even though i dont believe the demon is God, i still believe the demon itself exists and could have appeared to the human.

Then theres other issues of philosophical ideas of God. These are obviously not direct experiences.

But, lets say deism and theism. Both are ideas, but deism i dont believe is the REALITY, i believe theism is the reality. So, logically it follow that i believe deism is invented.

Now invented in the way im using the word at the moment dont mean the person dont truly believe in it, for they do. It just means the idea would not he real.

Sure,

Let's say a demon did appear and masqueraded as a God. Lacking knowledge of actual God folks would be pretty easy to fool. Such a demon could have appeared to Moses or any other, otherwise, sincere, leader of their people and claimed to be the one and only God.

Since they didn't have any information to contradict the claims made and the interaction with the demon itself would seem miraculous enough, they wouldn't be hard to fool.

My view, without knowledge of a "true" God, how can I trust myself to differentiate between a true God and a false God? Best not to go out on a limb to follow any God since there being so many false Gods, it's more likely than not that I end up choosing the wrong God to follow.