• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Origins of god/gods

Prometheus85

Since we humans first appeared, the world was surrounded by unexplained phenomena: the rise and set of the sun and moon; the ever-changing weather, including seasons, storms and other natural disasters; as well as other things. Once human intellect reached the point of being able to comprehend time as having a past, present, and future, man realized that they would someday die which was most likely horrific and a quite depressing fact for early humans. The idea that these unexplained phenomena were controlled by possibly sympathetic Spirits, and that their psyche would survive bodily death as an immaterial entity was comforting. Those who were able to buy into this comfort woo-woo would be better able to get on with their harsh and brief lives. Evolution therefore created the first gods. A possible date for these events could be the first anatomically modern humans 150,000 years ago, or maybe the time of the Cro-magnons and the behavioral revolution 40,000 years ago.

Last edited:
Since we humans first appeared, the world was surrounded by unexplained phenomena: the rise and set of the sun and moon; the ever-changing weather, including seasons, storms and other natural disasters; as well as other things. Once human intellect reached the point of being able to comprehend time as having a past, present, and future, man realized that they would someday die which was most likely horrific and a quite depressing fact for early humans. The idea that these unexplained phenomena were controlled by possibly sympathetic Spirits, and that their psyche would survive bodily death as an immaterial entity was comforting. Those who were able to buy into this comfort woo-woo would be better able to get on with their harsh and brief lives. Evolution therefore created the first gods. A possible date for these events could be the first anatomically modern humans 150,000 years ago, or maybe the time of the Cro-magnons and the behavioral revolution 40,000 years ago.

So let me ask you this then:

Did ALL humans believe in God/spirits, a soul or after life based on it being comforting? Did all those that bought into it do so from desire?

Or, did some humans believe based on what they percieved was evidence for God? Even experiences too?

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Once human intellect reached the point of being able to comprehend time as having a past, present, and future, man realized that they would someday die which was most likely horrific and a quite depressing fact for early humans.
Given that some other animals mourn their dead, I doubt we humans are the only ones who know we will die.

There were most likely several reasons that humans invented deities.

By the way, you don't need to invent deities to invent an afterlife.

I agree with both statements.

Although, i dont think God was invented, i believe we are invented by God. We are Gods creation, God is not our creation.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
The idea that these unexplained phenomena were controlled by possibly sympathetic Spirits, and that their psyche would survive bodily death as an immaterial entity was comforting. Those who were able to buy into this comfort woo-woo would be better able to get on with their harsh and brief lives.

Oh yeah? What explanation do you have for those religious systems that don't offer a sympathetic view of life after death? Buddhism just happening to be one of them. Buddhism also doesn't think you escape from this life or your deeds done, when you die.

How about the Christian hell, as much as I despise that idea? Is that a notion people comfort themselves with by believing in it?

I'm sorry, but when new atheists say things like this, it is frankly garbage. It is over-simplistic and dismissive of religion, without considering any of it's claims. How did you determine religious teaching is 'woo woo' as you put it? With your infallible brain?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
What about people who do know based on experiences with the spirit world? They dont "make up" there actual experiences.
Are you sure? Can you demonstrate some essential difference between "the spirit world," and the workings of a human brain misfiring?

Are you sure? Can you demonstrate some essential difference between "the spirit world," and the workings of a human brain misfiring?

Ok, i see what your saying about hulucinations. But, those so called hulucinations are experiences. People dont "make them up".

But, what about those veridical experiences?

What i mean is, some folk experience something in the spirit world, then verify something accurate in the physical world pertaining to the experience.

Some may call this psychic. What about these type experiences?

Grandliseur

Are you one of the atheist high priests? Or, just a priest of said religion?!

It sure sounds like it.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Those who were able to buy into this comfort woo-woo would be better able to get on with their harsh and brief lives. Evolution therefore created the first gods.
It doesn't have to be completely made up. Many gods and goddesses were called so because they invented something or other (like agriculture or tools or rituals or something), meaning the gods could very well have been just some early inventor whose street cred got way overblown over the millennia.

Prometheus85

Oh yeah? What explanation do you have for those religious systems that don't offer a sympathetic view of life after death? Buddhism just happening to be one of them. Buddhism also doesn't think you escape from this life or your deeds done, when you die.

How about the Christian hell, as much as I despise that idea? Is that a notion people comfort themselves with by believing in it?

I'm sorry, but when new atheists say things like this, it is frankly garbage. It is over-simplistic and dismissive of religion, without considering any of it's claims. How did you determine religious teaching is 'woo woo' as you put it? With your infallible brain?

(Oh yeah? What explanation do you have for those religious systems that don't offer a sympathetic view of life after death?)

It seems you either did not understand what I said or misrepresented what I said so u can preach. In any case Let me break it down for your infallible brain.

God did not create humanity — humanity created Gods.

(Buddhism also doesn't think you escape from this life or your deeds done, when you die)

I think you don’t really understand Buddhism either. What your referring to is Saṃsāra.
The destination after death is determined not by past karma, but by the state of mind at death. Sometimes there is no Hell/Heaven in some Buddhist interpretations, instead you are reborn until you achieve nirvana.

What about the Christian hell? Most Christians today generally see hell as the logical consequence of using free will to reject union with God. So Christians comfort themselves with hell because they believe they are not going there because they believe in god. But people that reject god is a different story.

And last but not least u refer to me as a new atheist and proceed to say what I say is garbage. making a bit of a straw man out of what is an otherwise Rational, logical argument I gave.

And further more, someone being an atheist can mean a number of things, so before you ascribe belifes to someone that they do not hold (a good way to **** anyone off…), make sure you're on the same page!

Prometheus85

So let me ask you this then:

Did ALL humans believe in God/spirits, a soul or after life based on it being comforting? Did all those that bought into it do so from desire?

Or, did some humans believe based on what they percieved was evidence for God? Even experiences too?

Nah humans didn’t believe based on what they precieved as evidence for god. Remember early humans were surrounded unexplained phenomena. In order to explain those phenomena people had to build an idea of god or goddess.

planets, weather, sea, diseases, lightning were all attributed to the supernatural (gods)
Now you will rarely see anybody attribute gods to those, because now people know how that stuff works thanks to Science.

Grandliseur

Nah I’m just a man that likes to get high and talk about life.
It seemed as if you were preaching atheism and the belief that we created our gods, all of them, an affirmation of the atheistic paradigm. :)

There are many who have had spiritual experiences.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Sometimes there is no Hell/Heaven in some Buddhist interpretations, instead you are reborn until you achieve nirvana.

Yes and I can't listen to what such Buddhists say, however well meaning they might be. Frankly, they are contributing to the degeneration of the Dharma, and deciding what part of the Blessed One's teaching they can reject.

The Blessed One taught there are hells. We find this in Mahayana and Theravada texts. Buddhists are in agreement historically that the Tathagata taught there are hells, and I am not aware of a traditional school in either of the two vehicles that says otherwise.

Contrary to what many modern buffet Buddhists present- Buddhism makes objective statements about life. The Buddha wasn't playing games or 'trying to be nice' when he laid down the teaching. He was speaking with the knowledge of Anutara Samyak Sambodhi (full and perfect enlightenment), and telling people the truth about the ramifications of actions.

The Buddha taught there WILL be accounting for bad actions. He also showed the way to not face that, which is to live by the Dharma, affirming faith in the Triple Gem.

"One that lives by the Dharma doesn't go to a bad destination..."- Traditional Tibetan Affirmation of the Triple Gem

You think what- that traditional Buddhists say the gatha of repentance and ask the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas for help as just pretty words?

I am telling you this with all seriousness as a Buddhist because I care about you.

What about the Christian hell? Most Christians today generally see hell as the logical consequence of using free will to reject union with God. So Christians comfort themselves with hell because they believe they are not going there because they believe in god. But people that reject god is a different story.

You really think most Christians comfort themselves with the idea of others going to hell? Think about loving and kind Christians you've known in your life that probably cared about you. You think they comforted themselves in some sadistic fashion about you going to hell?

And last but not least u refer to me as a new atheist and proceed to say what I say is garbage.

That's because it was. You were crassly dismissive of religion and it's seriousness. The reasons humans seek spirituality are serious, in most cases. Most people are not playing religion. You made it sound as though religious people are being silly and childish, as though we are mentally 8 year olds.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Provide evidence for these claims you are making here.