• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Origins Of Evil

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
The professor of a university once challenged his students with this question.
'Did God create everything that exists?'
A student answered bravely, 'Yes, He did'.

The professor then asked, 'If God created everything, then He created evil.
Since evil exists (as noticed by our own actions), so God is evil. The
student could not respond to that statement causing the professor to
conclude that he had 'proved' that the belief in God was a fairy tale, and therefore worthless.
Another student raised his hand and asked the professor, 'May I pose a question?'
'Of course', answered the professor.
The young student stood up and asked, 'Professor does cold exist?'
The professor answered, 'What kind of question is that? Of course cold
exists... haven't you ever been cold?'
The young student answered, 'In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to
the laws of physics, what we consider cold, is in fact the absence of heat.
Anything is able to be studied as long as it transmits energy (heat).
Absolute Zero is the total absence of heat, but cold does not exist. What we
have done is to create a term to describe how we feel if we don't have body heat or we are not hot.'
'And, does darkness exist?', he continued. The professor answered, 'Of course'.
This time the student responded, 'Again you're wrong, sir. Darkness does not
exist either. Darkness is in fact simply the absence of light. Light can be
studied, darkness can not. Darkness cannot be broken down. A simple ray of
light tears the darkness and illuminates the surface where the light beam
finishes. Dark is a term that we humans have created to describe what
happens when there's lack of light.'
Finally, the student asked the professor, 'Sir, does evil exist?'
The professor replied, 'Of course it exists, as I mentioned at the
beginning, we see violations, crimes and violence anywhere in the world, and
those things are evil.'
The student responded, 'Sir, evil does not exist. Just as in the previous
cases, evil is a term which man has created to describe the result of the
absence of God's presence in the hearts of man.'
After this, the professor bowed down his head, and did not answer back.
The young man's name was ( working on it)*

Whether it was Einstein or not, I agree. I agree that it is the absence of God.. more specifically, the will of God.

Sleeppy

My best guess on why evil exists/absense of God's will was chosen:

Ignorance, curiousity, experiences, and chance..

I no longer believe that Satan's existence will be destroyed. Energy can neither be created or destroyed. Our bodies certaintly are mass/energy. If spirits are not energy, then energy is the image and the likeness of what spirits are.

Satan's will for absense will be 'destroyed'. His existence redirected or recycled, whatever.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
My best guess on why evil exists/absense of God's will was chosen:
Ignorance, curiousity, experiences, and chance..
I no longer believe that Satan's existence will be destroyed. Energy can neither be created or destroyed. Our bodies certaintly are mass/energy. If spirits are not energy, then energy is the image and the likeness of what spirits are.
Satan's will for absense will be 'destroyed'. His existence redirected or recycled, whatever.

The word 'Gehenna' is where we get the English word for hell fire.
Gehenna actually was a garbage pit where things were: destroyed.
What was thrown into Gehenna was destroyed forever.
Can anyone glue ashes or dust back into what it previously was?

Hebrews [2v14 B] says Jesus will destroy Satan.
'Second death' mentioned in Revelation is symbolic of no further existence anywhere heaven or earth. Satan is destroyed in second death. Rev 21v8.

All wicked ones will be destroyed forever according to Psalm 92v7.

Adam was destroyed in his death because Adam will have no resurrection.
Adam went back to dust.

Sleeppy

The word 'Gehenna' is where we get the English word for hell fire.
Gehenna actually was a garbage pit where things were: destroyed.
What was thrown into Gehenna was destroyed forever.
Can anyone glue ashes or dust back into what it previously was?

Hebrews [2v14 B] says Jesus will destroy Satan.
'Second death' mentioned in Revelation is symbolic of no further existence anywhere heaven or earth. Satan is destroyed in second death. Rev 21v8.

All wicked ones will be destroyed forever according to Psalm 92v7.

Adam was destroyed in his death because Adam will have no resurrection.
Adam went back to dust.

Recall the valley of dry bones? or the stone producing water for Moses and the Israelites?

God is capable and willing that no one be lost forever.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Recall the valley of dry bones? or the stone producing water for Moses and the Israelites?
God is capable and willing that no one be lost forever.

Then, how do you explain the unforgivable sin? Matt 12v32; Hebrews 6vs4-6

How do you explain that Matthew [20v28] says 'many' and Not 'all' persons ?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Does anyone believe that Satan will be save or Can he be saved and thus end evil?

Satan like Adam was created with perfection.
'Perfection' meant they sinned on purpose.
We on the other hand can sin by mistake, unintentionally.

Jesus will end 'evil' by destroying Satan [Hebrews 2v14 B; Rev 21v8]
All the wicked will be destroyed -Psalm 92v7; Proverbs 2vs21,22; 10v30; 21v18

What basis would anyone think Satan, and or his demons, can be saved?

Sleeppy

Matthew 12:32 And whoever may speak a word against the Son of Man it shall be forgiven to him, but whoever may speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is coming.

There are two ages mentioned here. Is there a third? and/or a fourth? It's true that the Pharisees, and those like or even lesser, haven't inherited the kingdom of God in the next age, but what about those ages afterward?

Hebrews 6:4-6 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

This elaborates on the previous. I've bolded the key terms. In Acts, there is a couple who dies immediately following their part in this sin. I've seen many speak against the Holy Spirit, but not while they were enlightened, tasting the heavenly gift and sharing in the Holy Spirit, etc. This is why they haven't died in like manner.

Matt. 20:28 Even as the Son of Man did not come to be ministered to, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.'

This is also true. You have to know what it's saying for the truth to be realized and internalized, though. This is referring to this age. Those who accept Jesus in this age, will be accepted into the kingdom of the next age. Jesus sometimes spoke with a context not so explicit to everyone.

1Timothy 2:6 Who did give himself a ransom for all -- the testimony in its own times --

riley2112

On the basis of God being able to do anything. So are you saying that God could not restore Satan?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member

So God did make evil then?

Iti oj

Premium Member
I am starting to think that evil is the adsents of God. I mean it seems to sound right. :sarcastic

What is the nature of the devil? What is the nature or angels? What is the difference between man and angel?

riley2112

What is the nature of the devil? What is the nature or angels? What is the difference between man and angel?
Those are some pretty heavey questions for an old country boy like me. However I will try to find an opion, after all what ever I or anybody else comes up with to answer your questions. Please remember It is all just an opion. Who could know for sure?

4consideration

Premium Member
Does anyone believe that Satan will be save or Can he be saved and thus end evil?

I do. I think it is possible. But, I'm not holding my breath or putting much attention on it. (And, I'm not suggesting playing with "fire".)

I think that the experience of hell and an involvement with evil involves some measure of conscious choice. But, I no longer believe in the idea of eternal damnation. I think that we all have the choice to restore our connection with God at any time, with a simple change of heart.

I think that part of what Jesus accomplished was to offer and end to a long-standing state of separation from the Father, by taking upon himself that state of separation on behalf of mankind. After his death, he descended to hell before he rose. As a child, I thought that was an indication that he was being punished for something -- and it seemed totally unfair to me. But, I later understood it to mean that the gift he was offering to mankind was offered to ALL, even those in torment. I don't think he slammed the door.

No soul can make a choice for another soul. But, I think that if those Beings that chose evil wish to make a different choice, I think it is possible.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Those are some pretty heavey questions for an old country boy like me. However I will try to find an opion, after all what ever I or anybody else comes up with to answer your questions. Please remember It is all just an opion. Who could know for sure?

Agreed definetly heavy questions, but I think they are fundimental to understand satin and evil and such. Thanks can you vm or pm when you post the reply?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Apparently with angelic creation they were created with a sinless nature.
With angelic perfection they could have had an instant discernment to be able to make up one's mind instantly or immediately.
That being the case one would have to choose to deliberately do wrong.
Do willfully wrong with no desire to ever repent.

And the nature with sinless Adam, being created with human perfection of having a healthy sound mind, heart and body, would also possess the ability to deliberately make up his mind and not go back or change back to repent after having purposely sinned.

The nature of the devil would have been that he was drawn out by his own desire to have humans to worship him. -James 1vs13-15.
Adam too chose a wrong desire of his own.

We, on the other hand, are Not blameworthy for what Adam did,
but Adam lost his sinless nature and passed down his now imperfect nature down to us.
Under Jesus messianic 1000-year reign over earth,
Jesus will help mankind regain a sinless nature in perfect human life.
Perfectly healthy sound heart, mind and body,
then we too can choose to control our thoughts, feelings and actions and be free to grow to fulfill the tremendous potential within each of us.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So God did make evil then?

Evil in Scripture is Not always synonymous with wrong doing.
Isaiah [45v7]

In Scripture evil can be in the form of a divine calamity.
Not meaning natural disasters, but when God brought destruction upon the wicked. The Flood was a calamity [evil] used upon the wicked.

The sharp words from Jesus mouth will be a calamity upon the wicked at the foretold future time mentioned at Isaiah [11vs3,4] and Revelation [19vs11,15]