• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Originalism Is Conservative BS

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Brown v Board of Education is the famous case deciding segregation Originalists supporting it had to ignore the 14th Amendment to support segregation of the schools.

.The Bill of Rights, including its protections for free speech, freedom of religion, and criminal procedure would be inapplicable to the states since the First Amendment only limits the power of Congress not the states
So, an originalist would say, "14th Amendment invalidates segregation of schools" IMO.

Brown v. Board of Education of Topekawas a landmark 1954 Supreme Court case in which the justices ruled unanimously that racial segregation of children in public schools was unconstitutional. Brown v. Board of Education was one of the cornerstones of the civil rights movement, and helped establish the precedent that “separate-but-equal” education and other services were not, in fact, equal at all.

All because of the 14th Amendment. IMV

Brown v. Board of Education

Bill of Rights does not limit the power of Congress... it empowers the rights of individuals.

Last edited:

joe1776

So, an originalist would say, "14th Amendment invalidates segregation of schools" IMO.
No, the 14th Amendment, written after the Civil War allowed "separate but equal.".

Bill of Rights does not limit the power of Congress... it empowers the rights of individuals.
The great Chief Justice John Marshall didn't think so. He held that none of the Bill of Rights limited state power

Last edited:

joe1776

Do we really want our rights to be determined by the understandings of centuries ago?--- Erwin Chemerinsky, dean of the law school at the University of California, Berkeley.

In fact, under the original public meaning of the Constitution, it would be unconstitutional to elect a woman as president or vice president until the Constitution is amended. Article II refers to them with the pronoun “he,” and there is no doubt that original understanding was that only men could hold these offices.

www.nytimes.com /2020/10/21/opinion/supreme-court-amy-coney-barrett.html

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
No, the 14th Amendment, written after the Civil War allowed "separate but equal.".

The great Chief Justice John Marshall didn't think so. He held that none of the Bill of Rights limited state power
I really don't follow your logic... I think we can lay this to rest under "I agree to disagree"

Thanks for the lively dialogue.

ecco

Veteran Member
Then you don't understand the true meaning of an originalist.

"Originalism is a theory of the interpretation of legal texts, including the text of the Constitution. Originalists believe that the constitutional text ought to be given the original public meaning that it would have had at the time that it became law."
Your quoted comment is precisely the way I understand it.

However, there is no reason to believe that that is what the Founding Fathers wanted.

In Section 4 Article 5 they enumerate the procedures for making amendments to the Constitution. It is obvious that they realized that over time some amendments would be necessary and that these could lead to laws that did not follow the "original public meaning" of something written in the Constitution. The very fact that they provided a means of amending the Constitution, shows they would have found originalism to be nonsensical. Or, as the OP succinctly stated: BS.

Kenny

Premium Member
Your quoted comment is precisely the way I understand it.

However, there is no reason to believe that that is what the Founding Fathers wanted.

In Section 4 Article 5 they enumerate the procedures for making amendments to the Constitution. It is obvious that they realized that over time some amendments would be necessary and that these could lead to laws that did not follow the "original public meaning" of something written in the Constitution. The very fact that they provided a means of amending the Constitution, shows they would have found originalism to be nonsensical. Or, as the OP succinctly stated: BS.

You are basically correct, in my estimation, a difficult procedure. I believe our new Supreme Court Justice said they had to study history of that time too.

Perhaps by looking at precedent in previous cases intent can be found out?