• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Original Sin?

nPeace

Veteran Member
I asked a question. You answered
with a question.
Afraid to answer, are you?
No one's afraid of you, Audie.
You know my answer. If you don't, then read. Why are you so afraid that you are always looking for the nearest escape hatch? Making up stories again, are you?

Audie

Veteran Member
No one's afraid of you, Audie.
You know my answer. If you don't, then read. Why are you so afraid that you are always looking for the nearest escape hatch? Making up stories again, are you?

Speaking of making things up!

Your psychological projection is so unsophisticared.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Yes. The Bible is the most read book.
Even if only a small portion is read. Even Atheists, agnostics, yes, skeptics read it to come on forums like these. :D
I can't help but notice that what your source is counting is the number of books SOLD -- not read. My contention is that not that many who buy a BIble actually read it. In fact, a 2016 LifeWay Research study found 1 in 5 Americans said they had read all of the Bible at least once. However, more than half said they have read little or none of it.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I can't help but notice that what your source is counting is the number of books SOLD -- not read. My contention is that not that many who buy a BIble actually read it. In fact, a 2016 LifeWay Research study found 1 in 5 Americans said they had read all of the Bible at least once. However, more than half said they have read little or none of it.
Most people born today read the Bible at some point in life.
Even if they put it down, and it collects dust, many start reading it again.
Bibles are being printed in many languages and distributed to many lands.
Europe and America make up a population of a meager 741.4 million out of 8,000,000,000

In those 741.4 million - divided by two, About a third of Americans (35%) say they read scripture at least once a week, while 45% seldom or never read scripture, according to 2014 data from our Religious Landscape Study.

Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics

These figures do not include everyone, and can paint an inaccurate picture.
readers.png

The printing, translating, and distribution, paint a more accurate picture, since the demand for Bibles is monitored by the ones actively involved in these activities.
The world is not the US.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Most people born today read the Bible at some point in life.
Even if they put it down, and it collects dust, many start reading it again.
Bibles are being printed in many languages and distributed to many lands.
Europe and America make up a population of a meager 741.4 million out of 8,000,000,000

In those 741.4 million - divided by two, About a third of Americans (35%) say they read scripture at least once a week, while 45% seldom or never read scripture, according to 2014 data from our Religious Landscape Study.

Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics

These figures do not include everyone, and can paint an inaccurate picture.
View attachment 46387

The printing, translating, and distribution, paint a more accurate picture, since the demand for Bibles is monitored by the ones actively involved in these activities.
The world is not the US.
75% say they "read a Bible passage in the previous 12 months! Wow.

Now, if you had a statistic that said 75% of Americans said they read a paragraph of a novel in the last 12 months, would you consider them to have read the novel? Do you think, having read a paragraph from a 300 page novel (much less 1,000 page Bible) brings them right up-to-date with plot, sub-plots, characters, themes, motifs and so on?

Personally, I would not.

nPeace

Veteran Member
75% say they "read a Bible passage in the previous 12 months! Wow.

Now, if you had a statistic that said 75% of Americans said they read a paragraph of a novel in the last 12 months, would you consider them to have read the novel? Do you think, having read a paragraph from a 300 page novel (much less 1,000 page Bible) brings them right up-to-date with plot, sub-plots, characters, themes, motifs and so on?

Personally, I would not.
If a man reads Matthew 7 every day of his life, or every week, or... what he has read, speaks to the heart.
The Bible speaks to the heart of millions was the point.
Did you want to make another point which I was not making?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
If a man reads Matthew 7 every day of his life, or every week, or... what he has read, speaks to the heart.
The Bible speaks to the heart of millions was the point.
Did you want to make another point which I was not making?
Yes, you said earlier (which is why I begain this digression), "Seems to me, it's speaking to the hears of billions, and millions are understanding the one pure language it speaks."

But in my view, if they're all understanding "the one pure language," they wouldn't have spent a couple of thousand years developing hundreds of sects and killing each other for being heretics.

Nor could possible, in their millions, fall so abysmally short of understanding Christ's message, and in their misunderstanding, sinning by hurting so many.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Yes, you said earlier (which is why I begain this digression), "Seems to me, it's speaking to the hears of billions, and millions are understanding the one pure language it speaks."

But in my view, if they're all understanding "the one pure language," they wouldn't have spent a couple of thousand years developing hundreds of sects and killing each other for being heretics.

Nor could possible, in their millions, fall so abysmally short of understanding Christ's message, and in their misunderstanding, sinning by hurting so many.
Yes. Evidently some hearts are like stone. Lol. They don't get it. I mean, we only have to look at Israel, in the Bible itself. :laughing:

Prior to Paul, Where is the concept of Original Sin discussed in the Bible?

Sin is to reject God. Adam and Eve rejected God and that is the original, first sin that can be found in the Genesis 3. Because of that, all people that were their offspring, are also born in sin, in separation from God.

PruePhillip

We are all satisfied that you are clueless about physics, you can quit demonstrating it now.

But we would like to hear about how water prevailed 15 cubits over the highest hills ONLY on the Roman Empire, or upon
any other "world" for that matter.

Could you describe how that worked?

Audie, you point is good. But here is the problem with the bible in general.
In the days of the Babylonian empire the bible said that one day Babylon will fall and will never
be inhabited again. That city, unlike many great cities of the day, is just a sea of dried mud today.
And the bible said that Rome will fall, but never fall. Rome lived on in the East, and then as the
center of the Western Catholicism, and then the Holy Roman Empire, plus lots of other pretenders
wanting their nation to be the 'new Rome.'
And this Rome will destroy the temple, take away the Jewish people and kill the Messiah himself
(though He will die for his people, not for himself.) And this Jewish nation, BTW, would end with
the coming Messiah, said Jacob in Egypt.

So on one hand we have talking snakes and donkeys, and floods covering the 'world, and on the
other we have this.

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
[the Bible] says whatever
the reader wants. Slavery good,slavery bad.
Rich? good or bad.
I disagree, in my opinion the Bible does not contradict itself.
Slavery? better than death.

Being rich? Good in the days of Abraham. Bad in the days of Jesus.
It depends on the sociocultural context as I see it.
Sometimes, being rich implies being guilty. Sometimes it does not. This is at least my point of view.
If you own shares of a company that exploits the poor (letting children work, for instance), you're guilty, too, for instance.

A bit off topic here, but this reply may be allowed.

Audie

Veteran Member
Audie, you point is good. But here is the problem with the bible in general.
In the days of the Babylonian empire the bible said that one day Babylon will fall and will never
be inhabited again. That city, unlike many great cities of the day, is just a sea of dried mud today.
And the bible said that Rome will fall, but never fall. Rome lived on in the East, and then as the
center of the Western Catholicism, and then the Holy Roman Empire, plus lots of other pretenders
wanting their nation to be the 'new Rome.'
And this Rome will destroy the temple, take away the Jewish people and kill the Messiah himself
(though He will die for his people, not for himself.) And this Jewish nation, BTW, would end with
the coming Messiah, said Jacob in Egypt.

So on one hand we have talking snakes and donkeys, and floods covering the 'world, and on the
other we have this.

I definitely am correct that you have no valid opinion on physics or biology.

You sort of have half a point.

If the Bible is supposed to be " true "
then the reams of bs falsify the "true "
claim even if parts are true. Like that Egypt is real.

As for prophecy in the Bible, True Believer
think it is full of it. So do skeptics.:D

Lots of people believe Nostradamus
foretold the 911 attack.
Bible prophecies are generally open to great
range of interpretation.
If it seems to get one right here or there,
it flops on others like with Tyre, or Jesus
with what would happen in disciples lifetime.

The deserts of the middle east are full of the ruins of
ancient cities.
That Rome might rack down big time on rebellious
Jews or anyone else did not require any gift of prophecy.

Look out for confirmation biss!

Try looking at it this way. IF the Bible were
as billed, it would not have so much bs and failed
predictions.
IF it had unmistakable prophecy and other
knowledge unavailable to the authors, then,
you might have proof that even with all the bs etc,
God must be in there somewhere.

But with proof, there goes faith.

So your position kind of kills itself.,
even if half a point meant much in the first place.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Yes. Evidently some hearts are like stone. Lol. They don't get it. I mean, we only have to look at Israel, in the Bible itself. :laughing:

Some heads are like mush. They think
they get things when they haven't a clue.

capumetu

Can you please show me where, in those verses, sin is mentioned at all?
Sure:
(Genesis 3:3) . . .God has said about the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden: ‘You must not eat from it, no, you must not touch it; otherwise you will die.’”
(Genesis 3:6) . . .So she began taking of its fruit and eating it. Afterward, she also gave some to her husband when he was with her, and he began eating it.

The Bible in referring to that act states:
(Romans 5:12) . . .through one man sin entered into the world

Thanks for asking