• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Original Sin concept

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Can I get a mod to put this in the Hasidic DIR, actually?

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't anyone here who currently identifies as hasidic (the last post in that section was by Levite a year ago). You might want to reconsider that move.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I'm not even sure why this would be an Orthodox question, let alone a Hasidic one.

Fortunately this is one answer all Jewish movements share: we don't believe in Original Sin. That's a Christian idea, not a Jewish one.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Thanks for the heads up

cheers

It got moved, did you still want it moved?

Actually, there IS an original sin, and the ramifications of it are clearly documented in the Torah, but the bit that would concern Xians is NOT there, in the text itself. Just sayin.

Zardoz

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
It got moved, did you still want it moved?

Yes, why would you think otherwise

Actually, there IS an original sin, and the ramifications of it are clearly documented in the Torah, but the bit that would concern Xians is NOT there, in the text itself. Just sayin.

Zardoz

Great.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'm not even sure why this would be an Orthodox question, let alone a Hasidic one.

Fortunately this is one answer all Jewish movements share: we don't believe in Original Sin. That's a Christian idea, not a Jewish one.

Some Christian groups, yes, not so much in my Christian background, that's probably why I wasn't too familiar with the subject until discussions here on RF

cheers

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
"Yes, why would you think otherwise"

Because as was said, no hasidic Jews are here to answer your question...?

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Where would this thread best be placed then.....

Anyone?

No worry, my friend. ;)

The sub-DIRs of Jewish branches are best reserved for questions that pertain to that branch and it's unique viewpoints and practices that make it different than other branches.

A general question like this, should be put in the root Judaism DIR, where we will answer to the best of our ability, and if it turns out that it would be best addressed to only one branch, we will recommend that the question be directed there, if it's best served there. But in 99% of the cases, our knowledgeable Jewish community here will present all the possible opinions.

Old Saying: Two Jews, Three Opinions... :D

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Old Saying: Two Jews, Three Opinions... :D

If I wanted the opinions of Jews, I would just ask some in real life, however as I don't know any Hasidic or even orthodox Jews, (wanted the religious perspective) I asked the question in the Hasidic DIR.
Luckily there doesn't seem to be any difference or discrepancy between denominations, so Levite already answered it.

CMike

Jews do not believe that we are born sinners.

Jews must only rely on G-d and/or the person they sinned against to be forgiven.

Moishe3rd

Yehudi
The First Man, Adom HaRishon, "sinned" against G-d by disobeying G-d. (The Christian word "sin" is not really an accurate word here but, I can't come up with a better one at the moment.)
Therefore, one can argue that Adam was responsible for the downfall of mankind, in that we are not all on the level of angels living in Paradise.
However, an even stronger argument can be made that it is our journey back to the "Garden" that makes Man unique and useful to G-d.
At any rate, the Torah teaches us that all children are born "sinless" or pure with the full knowledge of "Heaven and Earth."
We forget this knowledge when we are born and then, we react to the events of life as our soul inclines us...
It is to overcome the flaws in our soul that we are here. Man's purpose in This World is to purify himself; to grow closer to G-d; to heal the World of its imperfectons.

Tumah

Veteran Member
The question is, at Mt. Sinai we reached a level before the Sin of Adam and the impurity of the snake was removed. After the sin of the Golden Calf it returned. So would you call the result the Sin of Adam or the Sin of the Golden Calf?