• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orientation is confusing

Shaul

Premium Member
So if a trans person (or is that “human oriented species persuasion”?) is corpulent does that make them trans fat? Because I keep hearing people say trans fats are bad for you.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So if a trans person (or is that “human oriented species persuasion”?) is corpulent does that make them trans fat? Because I keep hearing people say trans fats are bad for you.
Is that really the best you have? A desperate juvenile jab? It's such a lame attempt it would be shameful of myself to think any more of it, let alone get offended over it.
Are you proud of that? Is that something you would show your mom and proudly proclaim "I did that!" (it is, after all, about as childish as a child proudly bringing their scribbles to their parents)

Shaul

Premium Member
Is that really the best you have? A desperate juvenile jab? It's such a lame attempt it would be shameful of myself to think any more of it, let alone get offended over it.
Are you proud of that? Is that something you would show your mom and proudly proclaim "I did that!" (it is, after all, about as childish as a child proudly bringing their scribbles to their parents)
It’s not the best I have, would you like more? I wouldn’t say I was “proud” of it, but I’m not ashamed, as you seem to think I should be. And, yes, I would have no problem whatsoever showing it to my mom. And she would probably just roll her eyes because she has heard me come up with lamer things and because, get this, she has a sense of humor. Lighten up. Why you are so miffed I don’t even want to guess. Sheesh, I guess I hit a sore subject for you.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It feels like someone is playing games on me. I was looking at a news story about a young actor being attacked and he is doing OK at the Hospital. Then at the end of the story, it says that he identifies as Gay. Why did I need to know that? I don't actually care, and at my age, it will never be important.

Right. I'd say there are two factors here though...

1) The less likely scenario is simply that there are a bunch of superfluous details included in most news stories, since they are commonly written based on a set of 'facts'.
'A 23 year old Chinese woman today faced court on....'

2) The more likely scenario I think is that there is a hidden message being conveyed. So in this case, it could be an indication that the crime is likely a hate crime, but that might be difficult to confirm or guarantee.

In either case, you're free to discard the superfluous information. I guess for me, though, critical reading of a piece suggests more about an author's message than would otherwise be the case. That doesn't make it true, or even important, though, but recognition and identification of this is (I think) very important, and a skill the younger generation is going to really need, perhaps more than ever, because of the immediacy and general bias inherent in media and communications.

(BTW...when I say Critical Reading, I'm not talking colloquially.
Critical Reading: What is Critical Reading, and why do I need to do it? | Cleveland State University
)

I often wonder if this whole Orientation thing is just a stalking horse to get people to worry about who is what. I wish, they'd just shut up and make me my coffee, or drive the bus or fly that plane, or a hundred other things.

Personally, I don't care about orientation. It's a happy state I reached somewhere in my mid twenties, I would guess. Not that I cared much before that, but I reached a point where I just literally and completely didn't give a crap. Unless I thought a girl was cute.

But there are a bucket-load of information and 'facts' being conveyed to us. Perhaps your background and perspective makes this one stand out as either annoying or unwarranted moreso than others. But it's not unique. I've seen several jokes over the years around the reporting of race in situations where it had nothing obvious to do with the story, for example.