• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orientation is confusing

Ellen Brown

It feels like someone is playing games on me. I was looking at a news story about a young actor being attacked and he is doing OK at the Hospital. Then at the end of the story, it says that he identifies as Gay. Why did I need to know that? I don't actually care, and at my age, it will never be important.

I often wonder if this whole Orientation thing is just a stalking horse to get people to worry about who is what. I wish, they'd just shut up and make me my coffee, or drive the bus or fly that plane, or a hundred other things.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It feels like someone is playing games on me. I was looking at a news story about a young actor being attacked and he is doing OK at the Hospital. Then at the end of the story, it says that he identifies as Gay. Why did I need to know that? I don't actually care, and at my age, it will never be important.

I often wonder if this whole Orientation thing is just a stalking horse to get people to worry about who is what. I wish, they'd just shut up and make me my coffee, or drive the bus or fly that plane, or a hundred other things.
It might not be important to you, and hopefully someday we get to the point where it no longer gets mentioned just because its of no consequence to anyone. But obviously a lot of hatred and lack of representation still exists for LGBT. Until very recently they weren't really allowed to be open about their sexuality or relate publicly to other LGBT. This is for them.

Orbit

I'm a planet

They probably mention it because there is a possibility that he was beat up BECAUSE he was gay.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/em...oq8X7HMjjYSVGoQbF4l0lMI#.XFCRD9befv4.facebook

ETA: "Early this morning, actor Jussie Smollett was attacked by two men who targeted him for his identity and his role as an openly gay man on the show "Empire." They yelled racist and homophobic slurs at him as they beat him, tied a rope around his neck, and doused him with a chemical reported to be bleach. This happened in the middle of downtown Chicago."

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It might not be important to you, and hopefully someday we get to the point where it no longer gets mentioned just because its of no consequence to anyone. But obviously a lot of hatred and lack of representation still exists for LGBT. Until very recently they weren't really allowed to be open about their sexuality or relate publicly to other LGBT. This is for them.

A lot of times it's how they do express someone is gay rather than it being a regular part of a news story. For example, if being gay does not have to do with the new story, what happened, or anything like that, there is no reasons to say a person is gay (or straight). If a gay person acts in a soap opera, it depends on what it is for. If it's not recognized by the LGBTQ (since they can't be everywhere), it's like an outsider outing a gay person without his consent.

It's really a sensitive territory. I wouldn't want someone to say: "And we have a new program that stars Jobert Smith in a murder mystery. He's the first actor who has got a lead role starting back in the 40s...and we found out he's gay... back to you Charlette."

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

It really depends. If they're interrupting a televised program to talk about Queer News, I can see it. If it's on it's own station and maybe an Activist Program of sorts, change the channel.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Was the attacker Gay, Straight, White, Black, Male? I suspect if we are going to assume a motivation we ought to know the possible disposition of the attacker as well. Or maybe it'd be good if they actually knew the motivation of the attacker. Instead of letting folks assume a motivation from what could be irrelevant information.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

I know.Right? It's the same thing with SUV's. How often do you read about traffic accidents and they make a point of saying, "...the SUV hit this, or the SUV ran over that..."? You never see the write something like "...the Japanese vehicle, or the German luxury car..". Go figure!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
You sound like one of those people who never want to hear about LBGT people or have homosexuality mentioned. "I'm fine with it, but don't want to hear about it!"

But as mentioned, him being gay is part of the story since he was being threatened over being black and gay, and that was probably a motive for the assault.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know.Right? It's the same thing with SUV's. How often do you read about traffic accidents and they make a point of saying, "...the SUV hit this, or the SUV ran over that..."? You never see the write something like "...the Japanese vehicle, or the German luxury car..". Go figure!
You'll never read.....
"The electric car caroomed into the..."
What is mentioned is a matter of how the writer wants things to appear.
Whether positive or negative, it's a window into one's orientation.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
'Who really knows what the attackers meant by calling him racist and homophobic slurs, putting a noose around his neck, pouring bleach on him and shouting 'this is MAGA country'? It's a mystery.' -some conservative somewhere, probably.

Ellen Brown

I was up at the VA hospital today, and finally got someone to understand that I'm Intersex, and not LGBT. What toil and truble/

Ellen Brown

Was the attacker Gay, Straight, White, Black, Male? I suspect if we are going to assume a motivation we ought to know the possible disposition of the attacker as well. Or maybe it'd be good if they actually knew the motivation of the attacker. Instead of letting folks assume a motivation from what could be irrelevant information.

The only pertinent issue is that he was attacked in an unlawful manner.

Shaul

Premium Member
The use of identity politics is a useful foil for indoctrination or wedge or bludgeon against ideological adversaries. That is one reason it is mentioned. Which begs the question, why so many in the media do this?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

It's relevant to the story or otherwise such details are discouraged per AP standards. It may also be that in Canada a serial killer who was targeting homosexuals was in the news today.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The use of identity politics is a useful foil for indoctrination or wedge or bludgeon against ideological adversaries. That is one reason it is mentioned. Which begs the question, why so many in the media do this?
What people call "identity politics" has been around for a long time. Such as the Klan, who is very much into that identity thing. And the bludgeon opponents with it pretty hard to terrorize and divide. Historically, they even took a step further and killed over their sense of identity.

Shaul

Premium Member
What people call "identity politics" has been around for a long time. Such as the Klan, who is very much into that identity thing. And the bludgeon opponents with it pretty hard to terrorize and divide.
Yep. Same syndrome, different players in different roles.