• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oregon Sheriff Says He Will Not Enforce Obama's Gun Laws

esmith

Veteran Member
It appears that the Sheriff in Linn County Oregon will not enforce Federal Laws on Gun Control. It seems that he does not have the legal right to do so. How do I come to that conclusion? Well didn't the Obama Administration tell Arizona that they didn't have the legal right to enforce Federal Immigration Laws?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It wouldn't be the first time that someone was replaced for not doing his or her job. What would you like to debate?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
It appears that the Sheriff in Linn County Oregon will not enforce Federal Laws on Gun Control. It seems that he does not have the legal right to do so. How do I come to that conclusion? Well didn't the Obama Administration tell Arizona that they didn't have the legal right to enforce Federal Immigration Laws?

It's his job to enforce state and federal law. Since he's not a lawmaker or a judge it's not his job to interpret the Constitution, rulings by the Supreme Court or a Presidential Executive Order. He needs to suck it up...get over his ego and deal with it....move on!!!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sometimes I wonder if the United States are still viable as a Federation. Maybe secession is a good idea?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
It's his job to enforce state and federal law. Since he's not a lawmaker or a judge it's not his job to interpret the Constitution, rulings by the Supreme Court or a Presidential Executive Order. He needs to suck it up...get over his ego and deal with it....move on!!!

ER.............. you mean like federal pot laws too?

How many dispensaries for medical marijuana are there operating against federal law or Colorado's new recreational laws?

esmith

Veteran Member

Wait a minute there Dirty Penguin! Didn't you read my entire post? Arizona can not legally enforce FEDERAL IMMIGRATION LAWS. So how can this sheriff enforce federal gun laws?. So, suck it up, get over your ego and deal with it.:D

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The Sheriff can deputize the whole county as well. Do you realize what kind of guns we could buy then? We would have state wide arrest privileges too.

LEOSA would allow us to carry concealed for the rest of our lives in the whole United States as well. If we where Deputized for ONE DAY we could retire and be protected under that federal mandate for retired officers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
ER.............. you mean like federal pot laws too?

How many dispensaries for medical marijuana are there operating against federal law or Colorado's new recreational laws?

The fact remains.....They're operating against federal law (for now)...and if you happen to be caught by a DEA agent you will go to jail. I'm not going argue whether I feel as though that is right or wrong....but I'm only pointing out that if the federal law is broken and a person is caught in violation of said federal law they the feds will prosecute..

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The fact remains.....They're operating against federal law (for now)...and if you happen to be caught by a DEA agent you will go to jail. I'm not going argue whether I feel as though that is right or wrong....but I'm only pointing out that if the federal law is broken and a person is caught in violation of said federal law they the feds will prosecute..
Or not... Frankly, from the Federal standpoint it seems to be a whim thing.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Or not... Frankly, from the Federal standpoint it seems to be a whim thing.

Yea...I don't see the feds coming down on the states because they decide they don't want to adhere to federal anti-drug laws or if a state wants to usurp a presidential executive order.......

What recourse would the Sheriff have if the local or state courts upheld the federal decision?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Yea...I don't see the feds coming down on the states because they decide they don't want to adhere to federal anti-drug laws or if a state wants to usurp a presidential executive order.......

What recourse would the Sheriff have if the local or state courts upheld the federal decision?
None that I can think of. To me this is just a game played by Obama to pretend that he is actually doing something. In the long term, not much will change.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
It's just like the so called gun show loophole, there is no loophole, private citizens can sell each other guns and it is perfectly legal. The gun show has nothing to do with anything.

Oh by the way, as a private citizen, I am not allowed to do a background check on anyone. How could two private citizens verify a persons background was legit if they are not allowed to check?

This is the same thing as Arizona not be allowed to enforce federal immigration laws.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Loopholes are perfectly legal. That is why they are loopholes instead of infractions.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
None that I can think of. To me this is just a game played by Obama to pretend that he is actually doing something. In the long term, not much will change.

If the minority of people don't want change and don't think change will happen....then what's the point?....What should this be the new and continued norm?

To me...to not try is working with a defeatist attitude.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
It's just like the so called gun show loophole, there is no loophole, private citizens can sell each other guns and it is perfectly legal. The gun show has nothing to do with anything.

Oh by the way, as a private citizen, I am not allowed to do a background check on anyone. How could two private citizens verify a persons background was legit if they are not allowed to check?

This is the same thing as Arizona not be allowed to enforce federal immigration laws.

Now I thought there were a myriad of sites/companies out there allowing you to run a background check on others.....?....:confused:

Online Background Checks, Government Arrest Records, Sex Offender Database and More: Check Criminal Records Online with Instant Checkmate Background Checker

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
To me...to not try is working with a defeatist attitude.
Perhaps if they put more effort into mental health issues and weren't confused by the illusory problems with guns, more lives might actually be saved.

For the record, I'm not a gun owner and cannot imagine myself even buying a gun, let alone thinking that I needed one. Methinks the politicians have to put down their crackpipes.

Last edited: