• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heyo

Veteran Member
We Europeans often look down on the US with its influential religious fundamentalists. But we shouldn't be so arrogant as religious radicals also work in Europe, they are just less public. One of those organizations is Ordo Iuris.
Here is what they say about themselves: Who we are | Ordoiuris.
And what the Humanist Federation says about them: Ordo Iuris | European Humanist Federation.

Now, they have of course the right to advocate for their view on human rights, which is often contrary to that of the public and legal consensus but now Aleksander Stępkowski, founder of Ordo Iuris wants to become a judge at the European Human Rights Court. I don't see how someone with an agenda and position like him could have the neutrality that is required from a judge. Do you?

danieldemol

Premium Member
I don't see how someone with an agenda and position like him could have the neutrality that is required
You dont have to agree with the law to be a judge, you just have to lay aside personal opinions and judge in accordance with the law instead.

If he has no experience as a judge I wouldn't want him in such an important position, yet if he does have a history of judging and his rulings were in accordance with the law and not his personal opinions I would let him in provided there are not others more suitably qualified.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
A Pole. It looks like countries like Poland, Hungary and others are considered very conservative.
Which is not that negative...thinking of how far the globalist drift has gone...
Don't you think so?;)

Altfish

Veteran Member
We Europeans often look down on the US with its influential religious fundamentalists. But we shouldn't be so arrogant as religious radicals also work in Europe, they are just less public. One of those organizations is Ordo Iuris.
And what the Humanist Federation says about them: Ordo Iuris | European Humanist Federation.

Now, they have of course the right to advocate for their view on human rights, which is often contrary to that of the public and legal consensus but now Aleksander Stępkowski, founder of Ordo Iuris wants to become a judge at the European Human Rights Court. I don't see how someone with an agenda and position like him could have the neutrality that is required from a judge. Do you?
Must admit, I'm a bit slow on this, never heard of them.
It doesn't surprise me and in these times they will feel empowered.

I must read up on this group

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A Pole. It looks like countries like Poland, Hungary and others are considered very conservative.
Which is not that negative...thinking of how far the globalist drift has gone...
Don't you think so?;)
I don't know....
Can you speak more about this globalist drift? Clarify, please?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't know....
Can you speak more about this globalist drift? Clarify, please?
The European Union was created to defend ourselves from a more and more globalized world. Which might threaten our economic interests, our values. It is not that we do not like the American model. It is just something that it is incompatible with European Nations which are microcosms, each of them having a average population of 50 thousand people.
I believe the EU is missing this purpose.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

So if someone is personally against abortion and gay marriage they are a 'religious radical'?

Altfish

Veteran Member
The European Union was created to defend ourselves from a more and more globalized world. Which might threaten our economic interests, our values. It is not that we do not like the American model. It is just something that it is incompatible with European Nations which are microcosms, each of them having a average population of 50 thousand people.
And look what happens when you leave...
Disadvantages
  • Fishing industry collapses
  • Cheese industry collapses
  • Food industry collapses
  • Financial industry move to Amsterdam and Hamburg
  • Sectarian violence restarts in Northern Ireland
  • All ports seeing a significant drop in trade
  • Immigrants (They call themselves ex-Pats) being chucked out of Spain and France
  • Loss of ability to study abroad
  • Music Industry unable to arrange European tours
  • Environmental laws being reduced
  • Employment laws to be scrapped
Advantages
  • We get our blue passports back
  • We get sovereignty back - but I still don't know what it is

Heyo

Veteran Member
So if someone is personally against abortion and gay marriage they are a 'religious radical'?
Nope. And these people aren't personally against abortion and gay marriage. They are collectively against abortion and gay marriage and they are trying to influence politicians, not as a voters group but as a lobby group and under the pretence of "legal counselling".

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Nope. And these people aren't personally against abortion and gay marriage. They are collectively against abortion and gay marriage and they are trying to influence politicians, not as a voters group but as a lobby group and under the pretence of "legal counselling".

What does that mean, 'legal counseling'? They are advocating their point of view through lobbyists...that is how things work here in the US. But it sounds like such advocacy is frowned upon across the pond? I am just trying to understand the alarm here :) (legal qualifications aside).

Heyo

Veteran Member
What does that mean, 'legal counseling'? They are advocating their point of view through lobbyists...that is how things work here in the US. But it sounds like such advocacy is frowned upon across the pond? I am just trying to understand the alarm here :) (legal qualifications aside).
Have you read their "Who we are" statement? Lobbying happens in Europe also but these people appear as lobbyists as well as as experts. And there lies the danger. A lobbyist is expected to advocate a side whereas an expert should be neutral. The same goes for lawyers and judges. You can't be both.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Radicals? They just sound like typical conservative Catholics. Poland is a conservative country. They have the right to their views and to advocate for them as everyone does. That is also part of democracy.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Radicals? They just sound like typical conservative Catholics. Poland is a conservative country. They have the right to their views and to advocate for them as everyone does. That is also part of democracy.
Yeah, I just prefer they stay on the advocating side of the bench.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
And look what happens when you leave...
Disadvantages
  • Fishing industry collapses
  • Cheese industry collapses
  • Food industry collapses
  • Financial industry move to Amsterdam and Hamburg
  • Sectarian violence restarts in Northern Ireland
  • All ports seeing a significant drop in trade
  • Immigrants (They call themselves ex-Pats) being chucked out of Spain and France
  • Loss of ability to study abroad
  • Music Industry unable to arrange European tours
  • Environmental laws being reduced
  • Employment laws to be scrapped
Advantages
  • We get our blue passports back
  • We get sovereignty back - but I still don't know what it is

I haven't understood yet what British citizens cannot do in the EU. Mick Jagger has moved to Italy...

Altfish

Veteran Member
I haven't understood yet what British citizens cannot do in the EU. Mick Jagger has moved to Italy...
To reside there for more than 90 days in any 180 days you have to apply for and be accepted for citizenship of whichever country you wish to remain in. If you have sufficient funds this will be granted. It is not a huge figure but many immigrants have sold their house in the UK and are living off their pensions which means they don't reach the threshold. So, they can stay for 90 days then they have to return to UK, but many have no housing here.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Could you perhaps expand on what these microcosmic "European Nations" are you are talking about?
Most European countries have populations in the millions, so it seems that most major European countries would contain multiple of these "Nations".

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But we keep doing this over and over; creating, then emasculating, protective coõperatives: League of Nations, UN, NATO, EU..... Noõne trusts anyone else.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Radical is in the eye of the beholder. Radical is whatever is regarded as politically eccentric enough to be generally worrisome.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The individual as tool of the state is not democracy, it's Fascism.