• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Order of the White Moon

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hey guys,

Have you ever heard of Order of the White Moon?

http://www.orderwhitemoon.org/about/index.html

I met them at the Pagan Pride festival and I think they are all around Wiccan. I am thinking of taken their optional courses (since I got to know them a little more) since I am not Wiccan. If you have heard of them or if they have sister traditions, can you share about them in general? (Second opinion).

I'm wondering about taking up some of the classes. They are the only pagans I know in my area.

What ye' think?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Not familiar with it, and some of what's on there raises a few red flags. On the plus side, claim to have obtained legal non-profit status. That lends greater credibility, but isn't a surefire indicator of a reputable organization. On the minus side, a couple of things. Some of the things here struck me as a touch odd as it sends mixed messages. The group says it values personal autonomy but there's also some rather authoritarian/hierarchical verbiage in there too. I'm not impressed by their "witch school" aspects either. The curriculum seems rushed, lacks transparency, and expensive. With such "witch schools" being a dime a dozen, I have high standards for assessing such things. Religiously it looks like a Wicca-inspired Goddess group rather than Wicca proper (which requires both the God and Goddess IMHO). A good fit for some, not so good for others.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not familiar with it, and some of what's on there raises a few red flags. On the plus side, claim to have obtained legal non-profit status. That lends greater credibility, but isn't a surefire indicator of a reputable organization. On the minus side, a couple of things. Some of the things here struck me as a touch odd as it sends mixed messages. The group says it values personal autonomy but there's also some rather authoritarian/hierarchical verbiage in there too. I'm not impressed by their "witch school" aspects either. The curriculum seems rushed, lacks transparency, and expensive. With such "witch schools" being a dime a dozen, I have high standards for assessing such things. Religiously it looks like a Wicca-inspired Goddess group rather than Wicca proper (which requires both the God and Goddess IMHO). A good fit for some, not so good for others.

Thank you. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. If I hadn't met them, I wouldn't have taken their site into consideration. A few things that triggered my attention and actually bothers me is the "we are against authority" rules. A lot of religious pagan and otherwise who aren't part of the Abrahamic traditions seem to hold a "we are glad we are not part of organized religion" stance (actually said that in UU Church)... It does have a feminine flair.

I was thinking Dianic traditions are more Goddess oriented, but it doesn't mention Dianic. I dont know other traditions since I wasn't really looking to god/goddess. They said in person that each person has their own view of who the goddess can be. Universal Wicca?

I emailed them earlier and they said their classes are all online and self-paced; so, that's bothers me. They rarely meet in person unless their schedules match.

So, I kind of answered my own question. If I can remember, they said the classes are about $100 and people supposedly work for "tuition" or barder or they work with the student.

I probably just attend the Pride Festivals and call it a day until I move.

Shrugs.