• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Order of Anubis

Status
Not open for further replies.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I just did a search and found their website. It is under construction so I don't know much about them. I would be interested though, as He is my #1 Deity. :)

order_seal_bw.jpg

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Magistra Linda Reynolds of the Temple of Set formed the "Order of Anpu" last time I was in the ToS. Whether or not it's still active I have no idea. Anubis is also one of the primary Neteru that I Work with.

/Adramelek\

Valor

There seems to be many Orders dedicated to LHP theory, Magic and philosophy. But to stratify them in accordance to better suit ones life proves to be difficult. I find the ballance of the philosophy and human relation tolerances the hardest. I may totally agree with one philosphy, but cant stand to interact with the members within, then again, i may find a network of like-minded people, but the philosophy leaves much behind.

Balance is tough...and the more LHP Orders stem, the less appealing it gets for me. I'm begining to see why most leave to begin their own movement. I'm almost convinced that being a LHP Ronin is the best way to practice the Arts. As Daelach said... the desert is harsh.

Valor

Why is everyone using the Netjeru of Kemet for LHP orders? LOL

I'm assuming.... it is because they are "effective", and the goal/aim of the LHP is to "know" thyself only by means which are "effective" in remanifestation and refinement, To become more than what we seem... to Become. To strive to meet or exceed our own expectations by cross sectioning or conscious and incorporating tools that aid in sovereignty to continue to improve our methods?

Or it could be just a fluke?......

Last edited:

Kori Houghton

Restricted
Yosef, not all LHP orders, groups, whatever, base their magic or philosophy on Egypt. It makes sense, though, that some people who have been Setian at one time would found their own new organization using what they have learned in the TOS.

It could be a path of least resistance kind of thing, or it could be because it works well for them. I can't say from experience.

Back when the TOS was founded (the mid-1970s), various bits and pieces of Thelemic groups were getting back together or re-forming into newer incarnations. The founding document for the TOS bases some of its authority on Liber AL, which is loaded with Egyptian references. And Crowley borrowed his Egypt from the Golden Dawn...who had absorbed it from the popular view of ancient Egypt during the late Victorian Era.

So, Valor, I think it is more than a fluke, but less than a kind of across-the-board universal superior effectiveness. All cultures have included some LHP aspect, so Egypt isn't a necessary ingredient.

Valor

So, Valor, I think it is more than a fluke, but less than a kind of across-the-board universal superior effectiveness. All cultures have included some LHP aspect, so Egypt isn't a necessary ingredient.

Yes doll, i was just being sarcastic. ;)

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
The Egyptians had some beliefs very polar opposite and contrary to LHP philosophy. The negative confessions and precepts of Ma'at come to mind.

ViaSinistra

Anyone ever hear of this? Man you take a few years off and everyone gets their own Infernal Mandate!

The ToS seems to be spitting out members left and right...I'm very curious as to why. From what i gather the majority seem to be intelligent enough. Enough to create new Orders everywhere.

Why are they leaving?

ktf

This is an interesting question.

I can think of at least one reason why such a thing happens, and should happen. If the ToS is (as it claims) an initiatory school of the LHP then it is natural that students of the school would eventually come to the point where the walls of the school become confining and a hinderance to further development. Thinking of the example of a college, how many years do most stay in college? I think that even with an advanced degree most stay for approx. 4-8 years. Eventually the student has to take what has been learned and go forth into the world!

Another aspect that should be considered is the expansion of LHP philosophy and practice and the advancement of individual practioners. The founder of the ToS started that group because he found the atmosphere of the CoS to be a hinderance at a certain point. He recognized the need for something new, that would advance the LHP broadly and his own initiation as well. The same could be said of most, if not all, magickal orders. Eventually people hit the ceiling and find it is time to move on.

In my opinion it is a sign of progress to see new LHP Orders, and to see individual magicians hacking their own way through the wilderness.

It is my opinion (based on observation and research) that the ToS is more of a religion at this point than an initiatory school. These are two completely seperate things. One starts with answers and the other starts with questions. I think that this religious aspect causes many ToS Setians to be dismissive or potentially hostile towards people who choose to leave after quite a few years. This is a common aspect of religious belief. When one believes they have found "the Truth" it is hard to see how others who have been exposed to it can choose something else.

The Order of Anubis is interesting on an entirely other level. Here we see the Word of RKB (Xem) manifesting in the world beyond his life. I think (and I could be wrong) that the position of the ToS is that RKB fell victim to the dreaded Curse of the Magus and thus his Word (Xem) somehow lost legitimacy in the Aeon. Again, I could be wrong but I think this is their position. Regardless, the Word Xem seems to be alive and causing change in the Aeon. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

To recap: people should eventually leave schools. It is a positive thing. It is an expression of advanced development, growth, and independece. This is a process that has the potential to help the initiation of many who walk this path and to advance and develope the LHP praxis greatly.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Can't speak for the Temple but this problem has plagued occult orders since the beginning of them. Initiate A becomes Magus+ in an order and decides that he believes 98% of the tenets of that order, but that 2% is so important that he has gotta have it his way. Ergo, he creates a new magical order called Church of the donkey God :)P) which focuses on the 2% and launches a campaign to steal followers from the original temple. He uses 99% of what he's learned from that organization and manages to get a few of his Priest+ buddies to defect with him. It may be power or divergence from the core leadership or administrative problems. This continues until they figure out it wasn't as easy as it seems, they decide they aren't a follower of the Donkey God, or whatever.

This has been going on forever, but notably Crowley and others have done this. I honestly see this more as a failure of the member of the order to see that there is more lost by leaving. There is room for small divergences in views in any occult order. Many people expect more out of an organization as they move up the ranks instead of expecting to give more which is generally the case. When they don't get their due or just rewards as they believe (which may be anything from cash, to power, or notoriety) then they want to break off or quit. Mind you no one promised them these things in the first place so their expectations are unrealistic. Organizations like ToS have much more room to grow in my opinion because they are constantly reevaluating the mission with the goal of removing the obstacles, but some people don't WANT to grow.

For people lower in the tiers generally they just jump when they don't want to put in the work and figure out that they are dabblers. Some real life stuff occasionally creeps up as well, but most people go inactive and don't quit in those circumstances. But, just what I've seen historically... may have nothing to do with the current state of the temple.. :beach:

Last edited:

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Why is everyone using the Netjeru of Kemet for LHP orders? LOL
The Egyptians had some beliefs very polar opposite and contrary to LHP philosophy. The negative confessions and precepts of Ma'at come to mind.
Just remember that when you ask questions here you are in their house, not ours. :)

Many religions share similar traits. These same religions can have huge differences. One thing that I see from Ancient Egyptian Religion that I also see in LHP folks is the "God or Goddessness." Yea, I figure that will take some explaining. Unless I do not understand LHP at all, follows tend to believe they are equal with the Gods and Goddesses. I know you are probably familiar with the portion of the family tree that follows Atum-Ra's bloodline down through Horus. You have probably seen how it was standard for a God to marry His Goddess sister. In an attempt to be more like the Gods, it became tradition in Ancient Egypt for a Pharaoh to marry his sister. No, I am not saying anything about LHP folks and incest. I am just pointing out the way both faiths strive to be God and Goddess-like.

I do hope this post was not out of line. Most of you LHP folks should know I always come in here respectfully. :) Please let me know if I am wrong.

Rainbow Mage

EO I agree the ancient religion probably does have some similarities with LHP. One of those seems to be the concept of "ka-feeding". Now for those who don't know, the ka is the individual part of the soul. You do things to make yourself happy and appease yourself, but again, I could also argue there's a limit on that.

Rainbow Mage

Yes Set is outside of limitations. No denying that. He defies all the rules. Still, he's a god.

Valor

This is an interesting question.

I can think of at least one reason why such a thing happens, and should happen. If the ToS is (as it claims) an initiatory school of the LHP then it is natural that students of the school would eventually come to the point where the walls of the school become confining and a hinderance to further development. Thinking of the example of a college, how many years do most stay in college? I think that even with an advanced degree most stay for approx. 4-8 years. Eventually the student has to take what has been learned and go forth into the world!

Yes, you make a very good point.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Just can't argue in this DIR. By the way, Set/Seth is especially favored here as He is seen by many as a "free thinker" for having taken it upon Himself to kill Osiris.
I would like to point out that the 'demonizing' of Set happens in the Middle Dynasty's (if I remember correctly), prior to this Set AND Horus enjoyed a harmonious relationship to say the least!

This 'demonizing' of Set can be seen again with the demonizing of al-satan by the Essenes (Judaic Sect).

A neb kekui Set, ami per et em kher
EM

Status
Not open for further replies.