• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ordeal by Cake!

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hahaha, I was just watching a clip from Horrible Histories which happens to be very educational. You may know about some of the methods used by Anglo Saxons to prove if a person was innocent or guilty. For example, a person would be tied up and thrown in the river. If they floated it meant they were guilty and if they sank it meant they were innocent. However, if they sank they also drowned...

Well, apparently there was an ordeal that involved eating cake, bread or cheese. I'll paste what I read:

"
The clergy were unwilling to submit to the hazards of the ordeals by fire and water themselves, so their ordeal was literally a piece of cake. Called the corsned, the "cursed morsel," a piece of cake, bread, or cheese was placed on the altar of a church. The accused was taken to the altar and there made to recite a prayer to the effect that God would send the archangel Gabriel to stop his throat and make him choke if he was guilty. Few were convicted at these trials."

Apparently somebody did choke on cake once!

And here for your entertainment is the clip from Horrible Histories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4UeVL4SKoQ&feature=related

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I wonder if the cake was ever poisoned to get rid of some people. Either way, it's a shame to disgrace good cake in such ways.