• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ordained atheists.

Draka

Wonder Woman
In another thread it is my contention that people from all walks of life get ordained for different reasons. I know I have seen atheists here who claim ordainment (most probably from the ULC). If you are an ordained atheist/humanist could you please chime in here and be counted? If you would like to say why you got ordained that would be great too.

Sententia

If your not ordained and want to be there are a ton of sites where you can become ordained. The hard part is picking one.

Spiritual Humanism - Free Online Ordination - Be an Ordained Minister

I know a few ordained people. One is christian minister who was married with kids, got divorced, married a brides maid who also was divorced with kids and now its like a christian brady bunch. Seriously cool guy though although we never discussed religion. hee hee...

I have an atheist friend who got ordained to perform a marriage. The wedding fell through but the couple is still together.

Draka

Wonder Woman
If your not ordained and want to be there are a ton of sites where you can become ordained. The hard part is picking one.

Spiritual Humanism - Free Online Ordination - Be an Ordained Minister

I know a few ordained people. One is christian minister who was married with kids, got divorced, married a brides maid who also was divorced with kids and now its like a christian brady bunch. Seriously cool guy though although we never discussed religion. hee hee...

I have an atheist friend who got ordained to perform a marriage. The wedding fell through but the couple is still together.

Would you ever consider it and, if so, for what reason would you think of doing so?

Oh, and thank you very much for the response. Especially for mentioning your atheist friend who got ordained.

Sententia

Would you ever consider it and, if so, for what reason would you think of doing so?

Oh, and thank you very much for the response. Especially for mentioning your atheist friend who got ordained.

I can't really say I would other then for fun. If a friend asked me to marry them or something and I had to be ordained I would consider it as well.

Not something I have ever really seen a need for. The majority of my close friends are atheists and find no reason for marriage to begin with. We are always being pushed to get married for the sake of tradition from grandparents, our "activist legal rights" friends for legal issues that could arise for not being married etc etc.

So in that sense I think married on paper would be a good thing. However this thread does give me an idea. Perhaps I should scoop up my friends and have a huge ceremony where 4 or 5 of us all get married at the same time. That would offset the cost and be a lot fun. (We would all be there anyways so we might as well all get married at the same time.)

Could be fun.

As far as why others get ordained... I dunno. We don't have atheist churches here so far as I know. Some groups meet at bookstores, libraries and coffee houses hehe...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Do ordained atheists consider themselves "religious professionals"?
I'd say it'd depend on how much they do.

For instance, the Humanist Association of Toronto has several ceremonial officiants who I believe do it on a scale that I'd call them professional: http://humanist.toronto.on.ca/ceremonies.html

However, since they specifically call themselves "non-religious", I'm not sure whether the label "religious professional" applies. If we're going with the assumption that "ordained clergy" implies "religious", then I suppose it might work.

Danmac

I'd say it'd depend on how much they do.

For instance, the Humanist Association of Toronto has several ceremonial officiants who I believe do it on a scale that I'd call them professional: Toronto Secular Humanists

However, since they specifically call themselves "non-religious", I'm not sure whether the label "religious professional" applies. If we're going with the assumption that "ordained clergy" implies "religious", then I suppose it might work.
Are you an ordained atheist?

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why would an atheist want to be ordained when it goes against their beliefs. After all ordainment suggests a God.
It does? I don't think it does.

Being ordained into the ministry of a theistic religion/denomination might, but that's not what these people are doing.

Think of it more as "registered officiant" rather than "minister of God" and that might put you closer to the attitude that these people approach ordination with.

Danmac

It does? I don't think it does.

Being ordained into the ministry of a theistic religion/denomination might, but that's not what these people are doing.

Think of it more as "registered officiant" rather than "minister of God" and that might put you closer to the attitude that these people approach ordination with.

where and why did ordainment originate?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
where and why did ordainment originate?
You realize that not all religions are theist, right?

The same way that Christian denominations could ordain in the name of their God despite centuries of histories of other religions ordaining in the name of Amun, Ahura Mazda, etc., secular humanists ordain not in the name of any god at all, despite the recent history of other denominations.

Danmac

I truly don't think that debating the origination of marriage or ordainment as religious or what-have-you is a conversation that really belongs in this forum. Seriously, Danmac, if you have an issue with certain people being ordained and why they are ordained then perhaps you could start a debate thread about it in an appropriate area. That is not what this thread is for.

I have been asking questions so I can learn, not debating.

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums
The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Marriage and ordainment are religious institutions not government institutions.. I would think that an atheist would balk at either. So atheists get ordained to marry people, but marriage has religious roots. It is becoming one before God.
Pipe organs have religious roots too, but you can still find them in hockey arenas.