• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orchid Swallowtail

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
That plant brings in a number of different insects, making it a good choice to find subjects to photograph. It is a wasp of some sort. I always called something similar a wood wasp when I was a child, but it was a name I made up. It might be species of the genus Euodynerus, but I don't know the Hymenoptera so well to know.

There are some bees on the flowerheads just below the fly, but they aren't in focus.

It looks like the flowers of spring onions when they go to seed. Insects love them too.

exchemist

Veteran Member
A bit bigger than the Monarch butterflies that I grew up with. But we had a species of swallowtail that would get as large. The Eastern Tiger Swallowtail:

Minnesota Seasons - eastern tiger swallowtail
Actually it seems we do have a swallowtail: Papilio machaon - Wikipedia But it is confined to the Norfolk Broads (the area, not the women;)), which I have never visited (neither the area nor the women), so I've never seen it (or them).

But this isn't as big as the Aussie one.

I suppose @John53 must be thankful to have at least one species of native arthropod that isn't venomous.:eek: