• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Optimism in Dark Political Times

Kartari

Hey all.

Jon Meacham's been making the rounds with his new book, The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels. I'm looking forward to reading it in the near future.

I caught a 30-minute interview with him on NPR while driving home earlier today and thought I'd share. I think we should be wary of becoming too confident in the upcoming midterm elections. That said, I frankly do feel that we need a healthy dose of optimism in these dark times, and an optimism rooted in American history.

Feel free to discuss the interview's points or related thoughts here.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/optimism-dark-political-times/

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Thanks for the pointer to the book.

It's easy to give way to dread and anger at what is being caused by the current regime in power in Washington. But I fundamentally agree that a better day is coming.

Philos

Folks,

Good thread subject. Politics have been weighing heavily on my mind recently, without much relief.

I'm not in the US, but the threat is becoming global quite quickly. Having an interest in history, there are signs of 1930s events in the current experience. Don't want to make too much of this, but they are there.

Hoping that wiser heads will rule.

P.