• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Optical Illusion: Tanker in the Air

exchemist

Veteran Member
She was old and tired even when I was on her, and that was back in the 90s. In fact, we very nearly rammed another ship entering a lock in the Welland Canal because the engine-reverse failed. We had to drop and drag all the anchors to stop the ship before hitting another ship coming out of the lock. :) Here is a photo I took of the ship we very nearly hit.

View attachment 48271
On these ships with slow speed engines the propeller is directly coupled to the engine - no gearbox. To go astern you actually stop the engine and restart it going backwards, using compressed air from cylinders. The process can take some time - not ideal for emergency use at close quarters. Seems she was built in 1984, so she should have been in reasonable shape in the 90s, I'd have thought.

PureX

Veteran Member
On these ships with slow speed engines the propeller is directly coupled to the engine - no gearbox. To go astern you actually stop the engine and restart it going backwards, using compressed air from cylinders. The process can take some time - not ideal for emergency use at close quarters. Seems she was built in 1984, so she should have been in reasonable shape in the 90s, I'd have thought.
I was told those kinds of ships only had a life span of about 20 years. They're never at rest.

Bridge.jpg