• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opposition leader uses boofhead slur...

What is your opinion on Anthony Albanese calling Peter Dutton a boofhead in Parliament?

• Fair call, he is a boofhead.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Fair call, but not like Albanese is any better.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Shouldn't say it, even though Dutton IS a boofhead

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Much milder than how I'd describe Peter Dutton

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Brian2

Veteran Member
The leader of the Federal Opposition took offence at an interjecting Peter Dutton, calling him a boofhead, and telling him to sit down.

‘Sit down, boofhead’: Dutton sledged

Thoughts?

It would be sad if Labor lost the election because people took offence at Albanese's comments.
It would be hard to keep one's cool in Politics but you have to be aware of the media and just win on policies imo even though it is milder than how I think of Peter Dutton at times,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and he has an unfortunate head, which matches his hum drum voice.
It is a good thing he did not become PM. But is Morrison any better?
What am I saying?
I pray that God gives them all wisdom.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ouch!
My previous post was based on the assumption that a boofhead was some kind of low IQ.
Now it looks as if the insult was more 'racial'?

Previously I thought that 'Booster' was all about theft, and 'Boofer' all about IQ.
You need a tick for 'info'.....
Who knows what it means in the Land Down Udder.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
This macho crude aggression is what makes life so hard for women in Australian politics. It also sets a truly lousy example which helps to coarsen political debate more generally. The speaker ought to have intervened to put a stop to it. Both of them would have been told to withdraw the language, or else leave the chamber, if this had happened at Westminster. But maybe in Australia the precedent has already been set and it's too late for that.

I think there is a pretty good point here. The parliamentary environment...not just on the floor, but in general...seems horribly out of touch with modern concepts of equality and workplace protections. Pretty ironic given that it's out government often passing legislation.
And recent efforts by them to prevent an independent corruption oversite watchdog at the Federal level (states already have them) and historical exceptions to policing which have existed on parliamentary grounds just reinforce this antiquated idea that Parliament is 'exceptional' when it comes to laws and as a workplace.

I'd much rather we try to attract exceptional people to the posts, than treat them as exceptions to our general rules and requirements.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It would be sad if Labor lost the election because people took offence at Albanese's comments.
It would be hard to keep one's cool in Politics but you have to be aware of the media and just win on policies imo even though it is milder than how I think of Peter Dutton at times,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and he has an unfortunate head, which matches his hum drum voice.
It is a good thing he did not become PM. But is Morrison any better?
What am I saying?
I pray that God gives them all wisdom.

Dutton as PM...you're trying to give me nightmares.
And no, I'm not a Morrison fan at all. Whilst I will occasionally vote/seriously consider voting Liberal, that won't be the case whilst folks like Morrison are in charge.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, I wondered that. It sounds like an insult but not one I'm familiar with.

It's only an Aussie thing, far as I know.
A Brit might call someone a goose, I guess. It's something like that. Pretty mild, and can even be used affectionately (eg. parent calling their child a boofhead, with a chuckle...)
Not that it was being used affectionately here...lol

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Slow of wit. But it kinda means they have a big head, too. Big, dopey head.

BTW, poofter is one of those words that was casually used as an insult to both friends and enemies when I was growing up, but which isn't accepted in polite company these days.
Homophobic slur.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I largely agree, but I'd push back on 'spastic' equating to 'boofhead'. One us most definitely a historical slur used against intellectually disabled people, or to insinuate one is intellectually disabled.

The other is more like a mild term for calling someone a...well...language filters won't let me say it.

A goose, basically might be the English equivalent. Maybe slightly stronger than that, but not much. Sort of thing parents say somewhat affectionately to an exasperating child, but can also be used as a mild insult.

I'd be STRONGLY against anyone using the term 'spastic' in prejorative fashion.

Thanks for explaining boofhead .....
As you say, the word 'spastic' is a disgusting term, not used in any decent way, even medically.
That's what term's like 'idiot, cretin, moron' need to become..... socially regarded as disgusting.

In a country's parliament most speaker's would reprimand or suspend a member for using any kind of insulting term........

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You call me a quokka? Couldn't care less..... but bandicoot!!! Outrageous!

I think I've heard of bandicoot. I like 'mugwump', an indian term, I believe.

This is a bandicoot...
pict_original.jpg