• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opposition leader uses boofhead slur...

What is your opinion on Anthony Albanese calling Peter Dutton a boofhead in Parliament?

• Fair call, he is a boofhead.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Fair call, but not like Albanese is any better.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Shouldn't say it, even though Dutton IS a boofhead

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Much milder than how I'd describe Peter Dutton

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd say accurate but inappropriate so I'll vote option 3.

Heh, fair enough. I went Option 2. I get the district impression that both ScoMo and Albanese use old Aussie expressions quite strategically to try and show they're in touch with 'regular Aussies'.

Which suggests to me they're not in touch with regular Aussies.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Heh, fair enough. I went Option 2. I get the district impression that both ScoMo and Albanese use old Aussie expressions quite strategically to try and show they're in touch with 'regular Aussies'.

Which suggests to me they're not in touch with regular Aussies.

To be fair, boofhead is more in touch than "fair shake of the sauce bottle" lol

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The leader of the Federal Opposition took offence at an interjecting Peter Dutton, calling him a boofhead, and telling him to sit down.

‘Sit down, boofhead’: Dutton sledged

Thoughts?
Unacceptable, in any Parliament.
1. You'll have a Speaker who has the right to rebuke, and no other.
2. Would Anthony have got away with calling Peter, say, a 'spastic'? No? Then he shouldn't get away with calling Peter a person disabled by low mental ability. Both are disabilities and it's time that we took more thought for Intellectual/mental disability.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Aussie slang, generally not used by young urban types.

A boofhead refers to a large head, but is generally used to call someone stupid. A stupid act is a boofheaded one.
Is this vulgar or just rude (like calling someone stupid)?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Ouch!
My previous post was based on the assumption that a boofhead was some kind of low IQ.
Now it looks as if the insult was more 'racial'?

Previously I thought that 'Booster' was all about theft, and 'Boofer' all about IQ.
You need a tick for 'info'.....

Boofhead isn't racial but it can mean many things and even used as a compliment.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Unacceptable, in any Parliament.
1. You'll have a Speaker who has the right to rebuke, and no other.
2. Would Anthony have got away with calling Peter, say, a 'spastic'? No? Then he shouldn't get away with calling Peter a person disabled by low mental ability. Both are disabilities and it's time that we took more thought for Intellectual/mental disability.

I largely agree, but I'd push back on 'spastic' equating to 'boofhead'. One us most definitely a historical slur used against intellectually disabled people, or to insinuate one is intellectually disabled.

The other is more like a mild term for calling someone a...well...language filters won't let me say it.

A goose, basically might be the English equivalent. Maybe slightly stronger than that, but not much. Sort of thing parents say somewhat affectionately to an exasperating child, but can also be used as a mild insult.

I'd be STRONGLY against anyone using the term 'spastic' in prejorative fashion.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Ouch!
My previous post was based on the assumption that a boofhead was some kind of low IQ.
Now it looks as if the insult was more 'racial'?

Previously I thought that 'Booster' was all about theft, and 'Boofer' all about IQ.
You need a tick for 'info'.....

Nah, not related to Aussie slang at all. No racial connotation.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Someday children in government might grow up into adults in government.

Until then, I suppose it's a news story for the kindergarten class to be read by kindergarten readers who think its a big thing beyond all the adult issues that are out there.

I suppose immaturity is an international problem nowadays.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The leader of the Federal Opposition took offence at an interjecting Peter Dutton, calling him a boofhead, and telling him to sit down.

‘Sit down, boofhead’: Dutton sledged

Thoughts?
This macho crude aggression is what makes life so hard for women in Australian politics. It also sets a truly lousy example which helps to coarsen political debate more generally. The speaker ought to have intervened to put a stop to it. Both of them would have been told to withdraw the language, or else leave the chamber, if this had happened at Westminster. But maybe in Australia the precedent has already been set and it's too late for that.