• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opposite word to Monism

Sees

Dragonslayer
Anti-monism? Zero or many isn't really the opposite so something like "polyism" doesn't fit

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
As an example, if you thought that both monism and dualism have value to offer, that would be pluralistic.

I'm not sure that's quite right. In the philosophical context, pluralism specifically means there are three or more roots of all things. It doesn't mean what "pluralism" means in casual conversation, or coexistence or acceptance of various different elements.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'm not sure that's quite right. In the philosophical context, pluralism specifically means there are three or more roots of all things. It doesn't mean what "pluralism" means in casual conversation, or coexistence or acceptance of various different elements.

I don't see a difference, reading about it on Stanford Encyclopedia. What do you refer to by "roots"?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see a difference, reading about it on Stanford Encyclopedia. What do you refer to by "roots"?

The fundamental underlying substance(s) of all reality.

Asking "what is the fundamental source, root, or substance of all things" is a very different question from "do different answers to this question have equal value or merit."

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The fundamental underlying substance(s) of all reality.

Asking "what is the fundamental source, root, or substance of all things" is a very different question from "do different answers to this question have equal value or merit."

'What is' is the idea that has merit. If one believes the world is only physical, it's because that is what has merit for them.