• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opportunities to practice charity

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Yesterday I went to the Capitol Building to pray. It turned into a fit of blasphemy.

I was blaspheming and swearing my whole way home. I stopped when I saw a person in a wheelchair crossing the street.

It was dark and it was a dangerous neighborhood. I asked him, do you want me to push you somewhere?.

I got him to his desired location. He appreciated it.

Despite all my blasphemies, when I saw a suffering Jesus in need, I helped him out. Christ says that what we do for the least of his people, we do for him.

It goes to show, that even in a fit of blasphemy, profanity, and rage, a person can still have compassion and charity for others.

Thought I would share this, because I've decided this is one way I'm going to give back to the community.

I want to give other people at RF an idea of how they can help out others. When you see someone in a wheelchair, just ask.

I actually enjoyed wheeling him to his location. I see people in wheelchairs all the time, and it never dawned on me that I should ask them where they want to be wheeled to.

When I see someone in a wheelchair and it's not electronic, I will ask them if they need a push somewhere. I know what it's like to be in a wheelchair. It's very annoying!

What are some other ideas you have? I don't like volunteering in soup kitchens or certain other charity positions where there are crowds. I like volunteering at Humane Societies but I don't know of any of them in walking distance, and don't really have bus fare.

That doesn't mean I'm not willing to offer service to those who need it. Even if somebody needs their depends changed, it is something I've done multiple times for a dementia patient before.

I've also had people tell me I help them at AA meetings and mental health meetings.

Perhaps my existence is not worthless anymore :). Even if I'm just contributing in very minor ways that isn't making any seemingly big difference for society.

if I see anyone carrying a heavy load, I'll offer to carry some of it for them. Done that before.

I used to do volunteer work at the Cathedral. I'm going to ask someone at the Capitol building if there's volunteer options there. Any other suggestions?

I'm just done giving people money.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Despite all my blasphemies, when I saw a suffering Jesus in need, I helped him out. Christ says that what we do for the least of his people, we do for him.

It goes to show, that even in a fit of blasphemy, profanity, and rage, a person can still have compassion and charity for others.

Thought I would share this, because I've decided this is one way I'm going to give back to the community.

Thanks for sharing. That is also what I found out. Just be nice to others makes others happy, and makes me happy.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Perhaps my existence is not worthless anymore :). Even if I'm just contributing in very minor ways that isn't making any seemingly big difference for society.

That is a very important statement. And the word "seemingly" is critical. To me there is no big or small because a seemingly small thing could have consequences far beyond a seemingly large thing.

And to me a worthwhile existence is build on such contributions.

And as an aside, blasphemy is remembrance of God through negativity. One of my favorite prayers has "dear Lord, please don't be indifferent to me" which expresses the same thing in a different way.

Craig Sedok

I give to my community helping hand. Seems like I was born to help or something. No esoteric, posturic, pudding from me. Just real and why this world exists.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yesterday I went to the Capitol Building to pray. It turned into a fit of blasphemy.

I was blaspheming and swearing my whole way home. I stopped when I saw a person in a wheelchair crossing the street.

It was dark and it was a dangerous neighborhood. I asked him, do you want me to push you somewhere?.

I got him to his desired location. He appreciated it.

I want to give other people at RF an idea of how they can help out others. When you see someone in a wheelchair, just ask.

I actually enjoyed wheeling him to his location. I see people in wheelchairs all the time, and it never dawned on me that I should ask them where they want to be wheeled to.

When I see someone in a wheelchair and it's not electronic, I will ask them if they need a push somewhere. I know what it's like to be in a wheelchair. It's very annoying!

What are some other ideas you have? I don't like volunteering in soup kitchens or certain other charity positions where there are crowds. I like volunteering at Humane Societies but I don't know of any of them in walking distance, and don't really have bus fare.

That doesn't mean I'm not willing to offer service to those who need it. Even if somebody needs their depends changed, it is something I've done multiple times for a dementia patient before.

I've also had people tell me I help them at AA meetings and mental health meetings.

if I see anyone carrying a heavy load, I'll offer to carry some of it for them. Done that before.

I used to do volunteer work at the Cathedral. I'm going to ask someone at the Capitol building if there's volunteer options there. Any other suggestions?

I'm just done giving people money.
That's the way to do it. Helping people out as opposed to cash handouts.