• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Opportunistic Rush To Claim Divine Intervention

Skwim

Veteran Member
'Truly a miracle': Child who was thrown off 3rd level at MOA recovering

Doctors [Actually, it was one doctor, not doctors] are calling a 5-year-old boy's recovery after being thrown from the third level at the Mall of America "truly a miracle."

mallGettyImages-1058849880.jpg

Pastor Mac Hammond addressed an Easter Service this past weekend, discussing an update on the boy's progress.

Hammond said the boy -- who he identified as Landen -- had gone through an MRI that lasted about five hours.

"Doctors said they found no brain damage -- not even any swelling," Hammond said at the service. "No spinal damage, no nerve damage ... doctors [Actually, it was one doctor, not doctors] are saying it is truly a miracle."
Source & video of TV news report showing Hammond

But as has been observed:

"It ought to go without saying at this point that the better “miracle” would have been if the child was spared from his literal near-death experience. God didn’t prevent that, though.

We can all be thankful that he’s going to pull through. At the same time, calling his survival a “miracle” feels grossly insensitive to parents whose children have died from accidents or homicide. It implies that God favored this boy but not those other ones. It also suggests that God’s Master Plan somehow involved a deranged man throwing a child from the third floor of a mall — which raises a slew of additional questions about who these Christians are worshiping/"
source

noun: miracle; plural noun: miracles
a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by
natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to
be the work of a divine agency.​

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Don't really care about the "miracle" claim, the just glad the kid is ok. I think the perpetrator should be lobotomized after being thrown off the same tier.
That being said:
Considering the media coverage I have seen of this where race was avoided completely, I imagine the child was white. Imagine the coverage if it had been a white man throwing a black kid off the tier, race would have definitely played a huge role in how it was reported.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Don't really care about the "miracle" claim, the just glad the kid is ok. I think the perpetrator should be lobotomized after being thrown off the same tier.
That being said:
Considering the media coverage I have seen of this where race was avoided completely, I imagine the child was white. Imagine the coverage if it had been a white man throwing a black kid off the tier, race would have definitely played a huge role in how it was reported.

Who Is Landon Hoffman? New Details About Condition Of The Boy Who Was Thrown Off A Balcony At Mall Of America

Will this be considered a hate crime, I wonder?

A Vestigial Mote

Just felt the need to point this out...
Don't really care about the "miracle" claim, the just glad the kid is ok.

Followed by a blatant attempt to make the issue about race:
That being said:

I know, I know you're "just sayin'", right? Well, why isn't your stance this:
A Vestigial Mote said:
Don't really care about the race of those involved, just glad the kid is ok.

?

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Followed by a blatant attempt to make the issue about race:

I know, I know you're "just sayin'", right? Well, why isn't your stance this:

?

Suppose the guy threw the kid off the 3rd floor simply because he was white. Would that make a difference?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That being said:
I have noticed that news stories of violence don't mention race when the
victim is white, or if both perp & victim are black. Sometimes when race is
suspiciously not noted, I've looked further to discover it, & found this trend.

It makes sense for news media to to do this. Racial politics make stories
more dramatic. A black guy trying to kill a white kid, particularly a make,
just isn't going to ruffle feathers....except for fringe groups.

A Vestigial Mote

Suppose the guy threw the kid off the 3rd floor simply because he was white. Would that make a difference?
Did you even read the article? The guy who did it admitted to it, and gave his reasons. "Random selection" was the order of the day.

And yes - it would make it more "about race" if the guy had selected the kid because he was white. However, do you know what my stance would still be even in the case where race was a blatant factor?

"Don't really care about the race of those involved, just glad the kid is ok."

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Did you even read the article? The guy who did it admitted to it, and gave his reasons. "Random selection" was the order of the day.

And yes - it would make it more "about race" if the guy had selected the kid because he was white. However, do you know what my stance would still be even in the case where race was a blatant factor?

"Don't really care about the race of those involved, just glad the kid is ok."

Two different issues...and do you think the kid will ever be "ok"?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Followed by a blatant attempt to make the issue about race

Actually I was pointing out the obvious avoidance of many media outlets to include the race of the victim in the reporting of this.

If the child were black and the perpetrator white the race of both would have figured prominently in the reporting, Agree or disagree?

Why is this treated so differently?

To be perfectly clear the issue is not about race to me, it's about a sick individual that threw a five year old kid off of the third tier at a mall.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
We can all be thankful that he’s going to pull through. At the same time, calling his survival a “miracle” feels grossly insensitive to parents whose children have died from accidents or homicide.
Yes... I can think of the hundreds of people are expressing their thanks that the doctors who were used to cure them or their loved ones of cancer are being so insensitive of those children who have died of the same cancer,

"It ought to go without saying at this point that the better “miracle” would have been if the child was spared from his literal near-death experience. God didn’t prevent that, though.
Yes, God should make everybody robots so that no evil exists and then we wouldn't have to deal with this free will stuff.

It implies that God favored this boy but not those other ones.
Rather than an interpretive "implies", what isn't implied but rather straight forward is that no matter what miracle happens, people will always excuse what happen so that they don't admit there was a miracle.

"Doctor said they found no brain damage -- not even any swelling, No spinal damage, no nerve damage". The good doctor said "it is truly a miracle."

Of course, we don't want to take what the good scientific doctor said. We should just ignore it even thought there is empirical and verifiable evidence. We want to keep the "flat earth" thinking process alive. :rolleyes:

A Vestigial Mote

I actually wasn't the one to first say the "kid is okay." My post containing that was just a mirror, for specific effect.

And yes, the "difference" of issues between the claim of "miracle" and being glad the kid isn't too badly harmed is obvious. As is the difference between worrying about what race could or should have to do with it and being glad the kid wasn't too badly harmed... also obvious.

My point was only that if not wanting to assess the status of "miracle" placed on the event was at all trumped by the kid being in fairly good condition, then why assess the implications of "race" within the event? Does that trump the news that the kid is pretty much okay health-wise? If not... then why denounce the "miracle" stuff and yet bring up the "race" stuff? They are two unrelated topics, pretty much on equal footing.

Agenda. That's the only answer I am able to come up with. Agenda.

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

Actually I was pointing out the obvious avoidance of many media outlets to include the race of the victim in the reporting of this.

If the child were black and the perpetrator white the race of both would have figured prominently in the reporting, Agree or disagree?

Why is this treated so differently?
Obviously it shouldn't be treated differently. But that wasn't even nearly my point. My point was that what should also be treated "no differently" is the lumping of either of these two ideas onto this situation:
  1. Miracles
  2. Race
Those two things have absolutely nothing to do with the situation, agreed? And so, why would you point at the first and say it is of no matter as long as the "kid is okay," but then follow right up with involving the second unrelated non-issue into the mix? Why? You don't care much for miracles, but "race" really gets your panties in a bunch? That's exactly what I would guess is going on here. But what you (and a million like you) don't seem to get is that this sort of lumping of race issues into unrelated scenarios is exactly the kind of thing that keeps the tensions between races in play.

To be perfectly clear the issue is not about race to me, it's about a sick individual that threw a five year old kid off of the third tier at a mall.
How can you say that part in red with a straight face? Apparently EVERYTHING is about race to you... or can be made to be. Right? That's what I am seeing at any rate.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Obviously it shouldn't be treated differently.

I agree, so why is it?

Those two things have absolutely nothing to do with the situation, agreed?

The idea of Miracles and race issues are completely unrelated, if a newspaper reports that someone thinks something is a "miracle" it's a forgettable fluff story, here today gone tomorrow. If it is a story about race it has the potential to create more division and possibly incite violence, so why is it treated so differently if the perpetrator is white and the victim non-white and vice versa?

A Vestigial Mote

I agree, so why is it?

The idea of Miracles and race issues are completely unrelated, if a newspaper reports that someone thinks something is a "miracle" it's a forgettable fluff story, here today gone tomorrow. If it is a story about race it has the potential to create more division and possibly incite violence, so why is it treated so differently if the perpetrator is white and the victim non-white and vice versa?
I'm not saying it should be treated differently. You understand that, right?

But I'll answer the question anyway. Historically, whites wielded powers of superiority over blacks in the U.S., and many people were extremely butt-hurt when it was explained to them that blacks shouldn't be treated any differently, couldn't bring themselves to do so, and let their poor widdle huwt feewings over being blatantly wrong, and being told so, dictate their treatment of blacks for a long time into the future (partially out of contempt for the blacks, because blacks were originally outsiders brought here by whites, partially out of contempt for authorities telling them they had to just deal with it, and partially because blacks were still basically outsiders due to the fact that they had no choice but to develop their own culture(s) because most whites of the time sure as hell weren't going to include them). And so, black people have become accustomed to being treated in certain ways, and you do a certain thing to someone enough times, it becomes expected. And that's what this is. Fallout from what was done as a habit becoming what is expected. A white person hurts someone who is black - the expectation by black people is that it was done because they're black - because it was for so long that it is damn hard to even care whether there is any difference.

Not saying it's right. Not saying it's ideal. Not saying it should continue. That's just how I see it due to the factors known to have been in play and taking an honest look over the situation.

Besides... plenty of whites have their own reaction to certain crimes committed. Ever hear someone, after hearing that a particular crime was committed, say "they were probably black"? Or "those neighborhoods are pretty dark"? Everyone just needs to stop seeing things this way. Stop talking like this. Stop pointing things out as if it matters. I think in a way its to try and perpetuate "us versus them" because for some reason it feels "safer."

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Everyone just needs to stop seeing things this way. Stop talking like this. Stop pointing things out as if it matters. I think in a way its to try and perpetuate "us versus them" because for some reason it feels "safer."

You seem stuck in a completely different conversation, maybe you should reread what I posted

Apparently EVERYTHING is about race to you.

Apparently, you need that to be true

A Vestigial Mote

You seem stuck in a completely different conversation, maybe you should reread what I posted
You asked why there was a difference in media reporting of race-on-race crime one way versus the other. I told you exactly why I believe "race" is a card played in situations like those, and when that card is played it makes the whole affair more "sensational." Which is what news has been trying to be about for years. I'm quite sure you don't like my answer one bit. Good for you.

By the way - what other conversation do you think I was having?

Apparently, you need that to be true
Nice try. I can GUARANTEE you I never would have seen the "race" in this situation at all, period. Wouldn't even have crossed my mind. Who do you think I am? You?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That would depend on how the kid is traumatized over the experience.

Either way whether it's black white, white black you will end up creating more potential Nazis and Plack Panthers for the future.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
That would depend on how the kid is traumatized over the experience.

Either way whether it's black white, white black you will end up creating more potential Nazis and Plack Panthers for the future.

Agreed. And I'm assuming you meant Black Panthers...

On July 8th, 2019, I was in a bad motorcycle accident and was run over by an 18 wheeler. I wasn’t wearing a helmet, and broke 26 bones. Obviously, I’m alive. But is that considered to be “divine intervention”? Or was I lucky?

JJ50

As I have mentioned before, when my husband, an atheist, had a brain haemorrhage in 2006 trashing half his brain people prayed for his survival. At the same time people also prayed for the survival of a Christian friend of ours who had a serious illness. Our friend died, my husband survived. My husband had an experience whilst in a coma that convinced him beyond all doubt that no god or afterlife existed.