• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opiuchus/Serpentarius: legit sign?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Disclaimer that I don’t believe in astrology.

For those that do, is Serpentarius/Opiuchus considered a valid sign since it crosses the ecliptic? If not, why not?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I’m a Pisces but border with Aquarius, if Serpentarius counts, the shifting it causes makes me an Aquarius. The Aquarius blurbs in astrological readings seem to match me better if I were to buy into such things, for instance.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I don't know but my rising sign is a Libra my zodiac is a Taurus and my moon sign is a Capricorn. I don't believe in it either by the way

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don’t know anything other than my birth sign, which I’m assuming is the same thing as zodiac?

Sorry, no. The 'zodiac' is an area of the sky.

My birth sign is taurus. I have moon in libra, virgo rising and mars in pisces in the 7th house.

I had studied astrology with a well-respected astrologer in the SF Bay Area. He did my chart and my wife's. He could not figure out why we were married because we did not have a strong astrological connection so he thought our marriage would not last. He also thought I'd be a psychologist which was my study at the time. Zero for two.

But he was helpful in one way. Mars in pisces in the 7th house (one to one relationships) could be interpreted as anger coming from apparently nowhere toward those I was close to. Or it could be interpreted as energy used in service to others.

So as a psychologist offering useful growth possibilities, he was pretty good.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Ophiuchus is a wonderfully complex constellation. I love finding the many globular clusters there. Well worth some time at a telescope or with binoculars.

As for astrology, let's face it, the procession of the equinoxes has made the dates and the constellations go awry for centuries. And yet, somehow, the practitioners didn't notice.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Disclaimer that I don’t believe in astrology.

For those that do, is Serpentarius/Opiuchus considered a valid sign since it crosses the ecliptic? If not, why not?
The ancients discovered that they could measure things, including angles, and then (as they measured things on earth and in the sky), came up with the idea that since the solar year is 365(plus a little) days, and 30 x 12 = 360 degrees (close enough), they would divide the zodiac (the path of the sun against the stars) into 12 sections, each 30 degrees wide, with each section named after whichever constellation seemed to be mostly in that section.

They didn't divide up the entire sky into constellations, and some of their overlapped significantly, and it didn't matter that other constellations might also encroach on the zodiac.

They were much more interested in the mathematics and in looking for correlations between events on earth and events in the sky, which they thought they could use to make predictions, because obviously what goes on in the heavens must have some direct influence on what happens here on earth. (But of course, their concept of the universe was nothing like our modern version).

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

As for astrology, let's face it, the procession of the equinoxes has made the dates and the constellations go awry for centuries. And yet, somehow, the practitioners didn't notice.

True of course but it did contribute much to the development of astronomy. Kepler started out as a court astrologer, for example (but by the end of his life had become a proto modern astronomer). It made for an interesting lecture too.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Most western astrologers use the tropical astrological system, where the Vernal Equinox in the northern hemisphere is named as the starting point of 0° Aries, rather than what the actual astronomical constellation is (which happens to be in Pisces at this time.) So the actual constellations in the background really don't matter to astrologers who use the tropical system, so Opiuchus really wouldn't matter much to them.

Sidereal astrologers might find something interesting about it, but I don't know enough about Sidereal astrology to even guess.