• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinions On Misotheists & Dystheists?

Euronymous

SSilence
What is your opinion on misotheists & dystheists?

If you don't know what misotheism or a misotheist is, then let me show you a definition of it:

bandicam 2018-01-29 02-18-55-729.jpg

And if you don't know what dystheism or a dystheist is, then let me show you a definition of it:

bandicam 2018-01-29 02-22-47-444.jpg

My own opinion on misotheists & dystheists is that they're wasting their time on hating something that doesn't exist, and they should probably focus on something more positive; but, of course, this is just my own opinion, so please don't get offended.

Anyways, any thoughts on this?

Jumi

My own opinion on misotheists & dystheists is that they're wasting their time on hating something that doesn't exist, and they should probably focus on something more positive; but, of course, this is just my own opinion, so please don't get offended.

I don't think the definitions are wholly accurate, and I'm not aware of anyone that follows either of those who posts here.

I'm sure they have their reasons. Back when I was an atheist, I thought that if I believed in a creator I would probably be a dystheist because of how nature works(nature isn't good or bad, but often it tries to kill us in an unpleasant way) and how religions cause bad and wasteful things to happen.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I do not identify as such but classically by these definition I am a dystheist in the broader sense. I do believe gods are heavily manipulatory and without interest to human affairs and that they are completely impartial if not volatile to the notion of human love. I technically do not believe morality is something I can pin on a god and that any morals we associate with them are misleading and mistaken. The gods are heavily burdensome on humans and do not care for our pleas or our goals it seems.

You can ask away if you want since I am about the only dystheist on here but @Saint Frankenstein has expressed similar notion to my before but I am unsure if he believed them or was pondering the thought of it as he wavers between the Left Hand Path and the loving god of Christianity.

Me and Saint Frankenstein have expressed the notion that a Hell may just be the only afterlife we as humans ever get or the only one we as a species are fit for. I fully ponder this possibility and the potential it has in how a religious person connects with a god. I find it impossible to believe that any god created this world for our relaxation and enjoyment.

And if you are going to ask if I hate the gods then my answer would be no, quite the opposite.

Liu

I'm a dystheist in that I believe that the divine is amoral.

But why hate? I don't think as a dystheist one would need to hate the divine, on the contrary. Most dystheists I encountered so far were quite fond of their deities, or if they are polytheist, at least of some of them.

It also depends on the definition, though - in LHP-religions it's quite common to differ between one's own morals and the general morals, so some might say that the deity they venerate is evil in the view of mainstream morality, but good from their own point of view.

In regards to misotheism, well, if one is convinced that there are one or more deities that are worth of one's hatred, then that's as valid as any other kind of religious conviction. It might be not very good for oneself to put too much energy into that, but that probably depends on the situation.
Also, you seem to come from a dogmatically atheist position, i.e. be convinced that there is no deity. I'm agnostic myself and convinced that one can't really know for sure, so saying that someone is wasting their time because someone else believes that their beliefs are false doesn't make much sense to me.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It seems to me that misotheism and dystheism are just two more stances towards the idea of a deity.

As such, their significance is also derived from that of the deity idea itself.

Therefore, they are both extremely personal and basically harmless as long as no one lends them much importance.

Much like theism and atheism, and for much the same reasons as well (except that atheism is inherently harmless, of course).

David T

Premium Member

If you don't know what misotheism or a misotheist is, then let me show you a definition of it:

View attachment 20201

And if you don't know what dystheism or a dystheist is, then let me show you a definition of it:

View attachment 20202

They need to get out more.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

View attachment 20201

View attachment 20202

Hatred of anything is a waste of energy that can rather be used more productively, IMO.

As I see it, it stands to reason if there are god(s), they would have both benevolent and malevolent attributes since both attributes exist in our environment.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
A particular (and understandable) manifestation of misotheism emerged within the Jewish community in the wake of the Shoah.

Dystheism strikes me as a sophomoric term at best.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

View attachment 20201

View attachment 20202

For monotheists, I wonder how much misotheism/dystheism correlates with being a conspiracy theorist.

One idea I've seen floated for the popularity of conspiracy theories is that, in a strange way, they can be a source of comfort: they're expressions of the idea that it takes a huge effort by many people for truly awful things to happen. Yes, there are shadowy and perhaps evil forces in the world, but because everything is being secretly controlled, nothing is left to chance. As a consequence, we don't need to fear random violence or misfortune, because nothing's truly random. "My plane won't blow up because blowing up a plane takes careful planning by dozens or hundreds of people in the FBI, CIA, or the Illuminati, not just one disturbed and angry person who Googled 'bomb-making tips.'"

I wonder if a similar thing is going on with misotheists: "yes, God may be evil, but it takes the actions of a god for evil to happen, so I can take some comfort in that."

A Vestigial Mote

I'm sure a lot of my posts get misconstrued as my "hating God"... but that isn't it at all. Who could ever claim that the target of any of my words is God? For one, I don't believe in Him. Two - take a look at who my words are targeted toward - people (and no, I don't hate people). I may be talking about the idea of "God", but I am not talking about it to God. If I thought God existed in some form and I had complaints, I'd take them up with whatever I thought it was that God encompassed.

I just find it interesting and intriguing to ask the questions that can't be answered, and hear the answers gauging them for acceptability. Perhaps I am hopeful for a cogent, acceptable response one of these times... not entirely sure.

Rosetta

View attachment 20201

View attachment 20202

Re Dystheism:
I can see plenty of good reason for it, not only in Isaiah 45:7 but also in much of our experience in the natural world.
OTOH,
what practical good could come from recognizing a God if you think that God has zero moral compass - to the extent that the innocent are punished, etc. Petitioning would be futile; you might be helped or you might be screwed. It ends up being no different in outcome than atheism, except maybe the hope that your belief in God's existence might get you a better deal after death, or the possibility of making deals with God when you really want something (?)
Re Misotheism:
Unlike dystheism, it's not so much theorizing about God's nature as it's an effort to come clean about the feeling many humans have towards God, rather than having them fester below the surface ...especially humans who were raised to regard God as "all good" (and all-knowing and all-powerful) but have what surely seems evidence to the contrary.
Again,
to the question of what practical good it does to believe in and hate God, I think it would mostly be the emotional release more than any other benefit; even so, there would be the lingering dread of consequences after death because, after all, a misotheist believes in that vengeful, cruel God.

HonestJoe

By your quoted definitions, only misotheism involved hating anything and I doubt it really applies to anyone in contemporary monotheistic contexts. In the context of some historic polytheistic religions, where gods were really just very powerful beings, hating them would make as much logical sense as hating emperors or kings. Hate in general isn't a good or healthy thing but there isn't anything special about the target being gods rather than people.

Dystheism just seems to be a a belief and doesn't automatically infer any conclusion or action, including hating anything.

Raw020

Just me.

View attachment 20201

View attachment 20202

It would wonder how anyone is sure that God doesn't exist. I will rather see the possibility of a God than not.

However, those school of thoughts presented is understandable considering the various understanding of God portrayed in different religions all claiming to be good. I must say though that any holding such opinion as in dystheism and Misotheism, is missing something. Proper understanding of God's word might help dispel those opinions.