• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinion: Why Lovecraft is Right

Mickdrew

To borrow from the Wikipedia article on the Cthulhu mythos:
"Lovecraft believed in a purposeless, mechanical, and uncaring universe. Human beings, with their limited faculties, can never fully understand this universe, and the cognitive dissonance caused by this revelation leads to insanity, in his view."
One of the oldest criticisms of H.P. Lovecraft's stories - apart from the overt racism - is that the main protagonists always seem to be fragile and brittle in mind. This has led to many snide remarks about how characters in his short stories will collapse into babbling lunatics or resort to suicide when they see a flickering light in the sky.
Having read through a few of his stories (and planning to finish the rest, eventually), it does seem to be the case sometimes. Some of the narratives come off as melodramatic, and humans seem to be walking piles of barely restained psychosis, ready to spill over at the slightest provocation. Despite this, I mantain that it only seems absurd to those who do not grasp the full extent of the horror Lovecraft is articulating. It is so easy to look at his short stories from an outsiders' point of view and incredulously dissmiss what people within the story are experiencing, and this has caused many to unfairly see the ideas he presents as ridiculous.
This might have been a trap I would've fallen into also, had I not experienced similar anxiety in my life. If you'll excuse the self-indulgent reminiscencing, I found it fascinating that at one point in history, people thought that Earth made up all that existed in this universe. This soliphsistic view was superceded by the view that our solar system was all that existed; then our galaxy; then the universe as a hole. It's gotten to the point where our brightest minds are coming to terms with the idea that the universe itself is very possibly one of countless others. So goes our slow and gradual expansion of our place in existence - with a seemingly unending road stretching out before us, and the growing uneasiness with the realization that we might not just never reach the end, but will never know if it actually could end. What is to say there is only one "cluster" of multiverses? What lies outside this group of multiverse?
Growing up, this line of thought actually gave me panic attacks, and still has the potential to do so if put in the wrong place. When you consider how insignificant we are in this, you starting wishing that your existence could match even what a speck of dust is to us - and this is just what grounded speculation gives you. If you start injecting your imagination into the equation, it is enough to more than shake my sense of security when I was younger. If the amoung of space exceeds our understanding, who is to say there isn't a bring that does the same? We are not even talking about Cthulhu-type beings, but beings that see our multiverse itself as we see atoms. At any moment, everything we do know, or COULD know, might be blinked out of existence without the causing agent even taking notice of us. Our universe has lasted for 14 to 15 billion years according to scientists, but under what allowances has that been able to continue? There is nothing to saw we couldn't be swiped away in next microsecond by a gargantuan existence that we'd be unable to conceive of as an idea. Our imagination itself cannot reach far enough, because next to nothing in existence was meant to be coped with by us. The limits of our brains stretch only to what we encounter from earth, and our efforts to look outside this world might be less than feeble.
If you wish to know why I believe lovecraft was right, it's because my hands shake as I type this, and my brain starts swirling from the dizzying effects of adrenaline as I try my best to put these terrifying ideas into words while attempting to not fall too far down the rabbit hole. Even with my best efforts, my attempts to colour in the images of my imagination are likely insufficient. There really is no way to communicate the effect into words, and perhaps that is why many of the ideas that lovecraft writes about seem absurd to the uninitiated. His materialistic, irrleigious, and cold version of horror cannot be "talked into" someone. It must be experienced. If anyone has had similar experiences or has any idea what the hell I'm talking about, I would really enjoy hearing from you in the comments. Thanks for reading.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
"Lovecraft believed in a purposeless, mechanical, and uncaring universe. Human beings, with their limited faculties, can never fully understand this universe, and the cognitive dissonance caused by this revelation leads to insanity, in his view."
One of the oldest criticisms of H.P. Lovecraft's stories - apart from the overt racism - is that the main protagonists always seem to be fragile and brittle in mind. This has led to many snide remarks about how characters in his short stories will collapse into babbling lunatics or resort to suicide when they see a flickering light in the sky.
Having read through a few of his stories (and planning to finish the rest, eventually), it does seem to be the case sometimes. Some of the narratives come off as melodramatic, and humans seem to be walking piles of barely restained psychosis, ready to spill over at the slightest provocation. Despite this, I mantain that it only seems absurd to those who do not grasp the full extent of the horror Lovecraft is articulating. It is so easy to look at his short stories from an outsiders' point of view and incredulously dissmiss what people within the story are experiencing, and this has caused many to unfairly see the ideas he presents as ridiculous.
This might have been a trap I would've fallen into also, had I not experienced similar anxiety in my life. If you'll excuse the self-indulgent reminiscencing, I found it fascinating that at one point in history, people thought that Earth made up all that existed in this universe. This soliphsistic view was superceded by the view that our solar system was all that existed; then our galaxy; then the universe as a hole. It's gotten to the point where our brightest minds are coming to terms with the idea that the universe itself is very possibly one of countless others. So goes our slow and gradual expansion of our place in existence - with a seemingly unending road stretching out before us, and the growing uneasiness with the realization that we might not just never reach the end, but will never know if it actually could end. What is to say there is only one "cluster" of multiverses? What lies outside this group of multiverse?
Growing up, this line of thought actually gave me panic attacks, and still has the potential to do so if put in the wrong place. When you consider how insignificant we are in this, you starting wishing that your existence could match even what a speck of dust is to us - and this is just what grounded speculation gives you. If you start injecting your imagination into the equation, it is enough to more than shake my sense of security when I was younger. If the amoung of space exceeds our understanding, who is to say there isn't a bring that does the same? We are not even talking about Cthulhu-type beings, but beings that see our multiverse itself as we see atoms. At any moment, everything we do know, or COULD know, might be blinked out of existence without the causing agent even taking notice of us. Our universe has lasted for 14 to 15 billion years according to scientists, but under what allowances has that been able to continue? There is nothing to saw we couldn't be swiped away in next microsecond by a gargantuan existence that we'd be unable to conceive of as an idea. Our imagination itself cannot reach far enough, because next to nothing in existence was meant to be coped with by us. The limits of our brains stretch only to what we encounter from earth, and our efforts to look outside this world might be less than feeble.
If you wish to know why I believe lovecraft was right, it's because my hands shake as I type this, and my brain starts swirling from the dizzying effects of adrenaline as I try my best to put these terrifying ideas into words while attempting to not fall too far down the rabbit hole. Even with my best efforts, my attempts to colour in the images of my imagination are likely insufficient. There really is no way to communicate the effect into words, and perhaps that is why many of the ideas that lovecraft writes about seem absurd to the uninitiated. His materialistic, irrleigious, and cold version of horror cannot be "talked into" someone. It must be experienced. If anyone has had similar experiences or has any idea what the hell I'm talking about, I would really enjoy hearing from you in the comments. Thanks for reading.
After you get into it, I'd be interested in hearing what order you recommend reading the books in.
:) True, but when it comes to meaning, there can be more than one meaning. There really can be opposite meanings that are both true. This one of the bizarre things about logic, that the context matters. The universe has no context; so you can say it is meaningless and also that it is meaningful. Both are correct depending upon the context, but there isn't any.

David T

Premium Member
"Lovecraft believed"
There ya go, a dysfunctional artist! Seems like a Christian without jesus, pretty dysfunctionally normal to me!. But I am left handed.

A Vestigial Mote

There is nothing to [say] we couldn't be swiped away in next microsecond by a gargantuan existence that we'd be unable to conceive of as an idea.

I always liked Lovecraft's stories. The pervasive feeling of unrestrained dread he builds is not captured often or as well by anything else I have seen/heard/read.

The above bit I quoted from your post is basically true. However, there is a great amount of solace to be found in the idea that we probably wouldn't even know what hit us - that oblivion would rise to meet quickly enough that our suffering would be moot - even to ourselves. Much worse would be beings who would meet us on our own level, mete out carnage and destruction on us, and make it last.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If anyone has had similar experiences or has any idea what the hell I'm talking about, I would really enjoy hearing from you in the comments.
Realizing how insignificant we are doesn't mean there is something to be afraid of. I love Lovecraft's stories, and his style of horror, but even though his ideas and beliefs have a ring of truth to them, all that means is we have the freedom to find our own meanings and purpose, find comfort in embracing the unknown, and live with the fact that ultimately we know so very little and can have our lives turned upside down in an instant. Enjoy life in all it's pleasurable painful glory.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I always liked Lovecraft's stories. The pervasive feeling of unrestrained dread he builds is not captured often or as well by anything else I have seen/heard/read.
I once wrote a short story heavily based on Shadow over Innsmouth. When I finished it and read it, I realized I failed miserably at building up the dread that makes his stories scary. It's like he was a master of building up not a sense of anticipation, but of a dreadful anticipation.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Lovecraft wrote about his own tenuous grasp on reality and the constant dread he himself experienced. He was very good at writing that, but he didn't seem capable of writing other kinds of characters and situations.

Stephen King, on the other had, writes dread in an entirely different way, reflecting a different kind and range of characters.

And of course, there are others...

David T

Premium Member
Yeah I guess that has to follow?
Of course! I have to explain why belief is wierd to me being anything more than "I believe there is a bathroom at McDonald's if I need one!" I mean that's what I believe. Some might say I lack depth, in reality I lack that particular dysfunction.

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
I like a bit of horror and feel a deep connection to existentialism but meh, I don't like Lovecraft.
Kenneth Grant seemed to like him, so there is obviously something there for people that like him but I think my nihilistic phase is way behind me.

I get that we are walking fleshbags who recreate in a universe way beyond reach and that we are scared of everything, even ourselves. I get it but it's not a very productive way to see the universe - as to think that it is the supposed objective state of life.

The alien gods and stuff don't really appeal either to be honest. I like some of the films that Lovecraft has inspire but I can't get myself to be taken in by it.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
If we construct our Universe so that matter and mind work together, like I have done in my own writing, things are much more positive. We know these two things exist; we shouldn't fight it. A consciousness or matter doesn't worry about being anything better than itself because it is all it can be. A simple thought is a simple thought. It is like algebraic groups.

Disordered Universes are more "competitive" when they have geometry of matter to pack in these thoughts. No matter how vacant you think the reason for things is, everything always works out fine. It also provides a very deep, positive and healthy understanding.

Last edited:

Mickdrew

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I've been reading this anthology of his work:
https://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Fiction-H-P-Lovecraft/dp/1631060015
Couldn't find it on the US Amazon website. Seems to only be available on the Canadian site.

As to what order, I just read from beginning to end in the order they were supposedly written. I don't feel a need to do otherwise xD
just saw a book of Lovecraft the other day at Barnes and Noble, among their discount/bargain books...not really interested in reading him again, so didn't check out the price.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I always liked Lovecraft but I never really saw him as a horror author, more scifi/occult/suspense type. I think his greatest work /joke was the Necronomicon and his careful placement of it's name and purpose in several stories shows a cleverness and served as supporting materiel for his mythos that some apparently took as a work of fact. The rituals described are sound enough in their mechanics but I could only imagine some deluded occultniks grossly mispronouncing incantations and falling on their backs in the middle of a field somewhere with their eyes rolled into the back of their heads, I guess it would be far more entertaining than re-runs of family guy or the Simpsons so I will give them that. The fact that we still see his influence on culture today (primarily among nerds and weirdos) tells me he was successful at what he did.

Last edited: