• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinion: Trump Should Release his Tax Returns-Just Not Right Now

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I found great amusement in watching the anti - Trumpeteers get their hopes up in 2016 on election night, I found greater amusement in watching the twinkle in their eyes fade like a dying star when they realized their chosen deliverer lost. I think to relive that moment once again maybe Trump should release his tax returns, just not yet, maybe a month or two before the election holding it as his Trump card and this is why:
Trumps political enemies have made much about his tax returns, some even making it part of their bid for election and we will no doubt hear much more about it the closer we get to 2020. Let them get rabid and frothy mouthed, let them make it a central part of a smear and then when it get's close to election time release them so the world can see that no wrongdoing occurred. It would be a great source of entertainment to see the shocked looks of those who pushed for this and attempted to use it as a political weapon. Some announcers at CNN and MSNBC would no doubt get teary eyed once again, talking head panelists will try to grasp at straws and attempt to show themselves as not completely wrong. No doubt there will also be claims of white privilege and even racism just like what happened after the Mueller report, if I didn't see it I wouldn't have believed it.
It would be a beautiful thing watching Trumps enemies squirm, kick, and scream after their putrid thrones built upon lies crumble beneath them and they are exposed for what they truly are, sniveling, grasping maggots writhing on dung.
My preciousss.........

Last edited:

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Actually, I hope he never does -- I find the practice completely stupid and an invasion of privacy. I wouldn't want my taxes released either, so there... I'm internally consistent. :D

The reality is that Trump's taxes are so complicated that even if they were released you'd be lucky to figure anything out on them.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I found great amusement in watching the anti - Trumpeteers get their hopes up in 2016 on election night, I found greater amusement in watching the twinkle in their eyes fade like a dying star when they realized their chosen deliverer lost. I think to relive that moment once again maybe Trump should release his tax returns, just not yet, maybe a month or two before the election holding it as his Trump card and this is why:
Trumps political enemies have made much about his tax returns, some even making it part of their bid for election and we will no doubt hear much more about it the closer we get to 2020. Let them get rabid and frothy mouthed, let them make it a central part of a smear and then when it get's close to election time release them so the world can see that no wrongdoing occurred. It would be a great source of entertainment to see the shocked looks of those who pushed for this and attempted to use it as a political weapon. Some announcers at CNN and MSNBC would no doubt get teary eyed once again, talking head panelists will try to grasp at straws and attempt to show themselves as not completely wrong. No doubt there will also be claims of white privilege and even racism just like what happened after the Mueller report, if I didn't see it I wouldn't have believed it.
It would be a beautiful thing watching Trumps enemies squirm, kick, and scream after their putrid thrones built upon lies crumble beneath them and they are exposed for what they truly are, sniveling, grasping maggots writhing on dung.
My preciousss.........
As Gandhi stated, "To cooperate with evil is evil", and I would suggest that defending the "evil" that Trump has repeatedly ad nauseum said and done falls into that "evil". And some of us actually do believe that the "rule of law" is very important even if Trump doesn't.

Just the other day Trump told some of the border guards to stop those seeking asylum and turn them away, which would violate the law and what the courts have recently ruled on.

Seems to me your position is that Trump is above the "rule of law", thus anything he says and does is excusable.

metis

There are those in both parties that know right from wrong when it comes to taxes. Under the law, Congress has the right to see them, but it's not surprising to me that the Pubs in Congress don't seem to much care about the "rule of law" any longer. Instead, with them it's "Defend Trump and the party at any cost!"-- "Profiles In Courage", not! .

suncowiam

Actually, I hope he never does -- I find the practice completely stupid and an invasion of privacy. I wouldn't want my taxes released either, so there... I'm internally consistent. :D

The reality is that Trump's taxes are so complicated that even if they were released you'd be lucky to figure anything out on them.

Comparing yourself to a president or a candidate running for the presidency is, well, how do I put it????

Illogical? The fallacy of equivalence. I could care less about your business ventures. I do care more about the person that will be one of the most powerful people in the world. So knowing as much info as I can, can be considered an invasion of privacy concerning how I obtain that info or how that info comes to me.

But here's the real kicker. Anyone that runs for positions of power, IMO, should have no qualms releasing information that can help the public judge his/her moral compass. This is called transparency. It's not only for Republicans or Democrats or Independents. It's for everyone.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
My preciousss.........

Since morality is relative IMO, folks are going to judge according to whatever they feel appropriate. If a person thinks it's a good idea to release their tax returns, fine by me. Personally I wouldn't. If folks think they are going to determine some kind of moral compass from my tax returns, I'd think them an idiot.

It's just a dumb idea IMO.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
But here's the real kicker. Anyone that runs for positions of power, IMO, should have no qualms releasing information that can help the public judge his/her moral compass. This is called transparency. It's not only for Republicans or Democrats or Independents. It's for everyone.

Nah, generally the only people who want this stuff are the anally retentive types who are definitely the ones who should never have this information. They can't handle it if they receive it, still won't conquer their immediate biases by the light cast, and certainly wont be any nicer to anyone after receiving it. So, that's why I'm against it -- I'm against those sort of people. That mindset doesn't need to be fed, it needs to be destroyed.

Transparency in one's personal dealings beyond not having a criminal record of any sort, etc., for a public official is not needed at all. It's not only invasive, it's irrelevant to the job. The moral compass thing it pretty much a joke -- it's amazing how morals become immediately unimportant when the need arises for any living person. Past goings on are nearly irrelevant for future determination as the set of circumstances change. Besides, even if someone didn't want to pay their taxes what would that tell you other than they're stingy? Well, most people don't want to pay their taxes, so I don't think this is telling you much. :D

suncowiam

Nah, generally the only people who want this stuff are the anally retentive types who are definitely the ones who should never have this information. They can't handle it if they receive it, still won't conquer their immediate biases by the light cast, and certainly wont be any nicer to anyone after receiving it. So, that's why I'm against it -- I'm against those sort of people. That mindset doesn't need to be fed, it needs to be destroyed.

Transparency in one's personal dealings beyond not having a criminal record of any sort, etc., for a public official is not needed at all. It's not only invasive, it's irrelevant to the job. The moral compass thing it pretty much a joke -- it's amazing how morals become immediately unimportant when the need arises for any living person. Past goings on are nearly irrelevant for future determination as the set of circumstances change. Besides, even if someone didn't want to pay their taxes what would that tell you other than they're stingy? Well, most people don't want to pay their taxes, so I don't think this is telling you much. :D

Well, I'll just disagree with you concerning transparency with public organizations and individuals. I think it's paramount that those that have governing power over us have complete transparency over related matters. If I have the choice to vote in a system or person, then knowing facts can only make certain that my vote was as intended.

Concerning specifically Trump and his taxes, since he advertises himself as such a great business person, the taxes would help the public determine on some level the validity of that claim.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
My preciousss.........

From what I've read of the actual law, not being a lawyer. Congress has a right to someone's tax returns in closed session. It's against the law however for them to make a individual's tax returns public.

So they have a right to see them if requested but if they say anything about what's on them, they are breaking the law.

metis

So they have a right to see them if requested but if they say anything about what's on them, they are breaking the law.
Not necessarily as it was such a legal inquiry that disclosed that Nixon owed almost a half million dollars in back taxes. IOW, there are possible limitations but general conclusions may be disclosed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From what I've read of the actual law, not being a lawyer. Congress has a right to someone's tax returns in closed session. It's against the law however for them to make a individual's tax returns public.

This adds a wrinkle to the law....
If everyone in Congress has access, security would be nil.
Leaking the whole package would be likely. So it's possible
that a court would impose some limitations.